Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happened Jordan ???

• 07-07-2004 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

I still cant believe how far they have fallen and the manner in which they have fallen. One minute your challenging for the drivers title (Frentzen not so long ago until Eddie lost the plot totally and sacked him !!) the next your no better than Minardi.

Why does Eddie still bother ? If you ask me hes like Gerard Houllier at Liverpool, had his chance and blew it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

I'm pretty sure EJ realises he is a major factor in the team regressing over the last 5 years. I think he has said it often enough himself too.. I believe hes stated in interviews that he was responsble for sticking with Mugen Honda when he works engine came up and didnt push for a Honda works engine ( we all know where that ended up and look where BAR are now !! ) and then the Vodafone fiasco..

however....you are missing one massive point. The man who designed the 99 car left not long after 99.. Gascoyne designed (with little funding ) one of the finest F1 cars there has been (post 94) IMHO considering the limits he had to work within.

...maybe we'll see a season like 99 again tho... V8 engines, 1 tyre supplier, a universal MANUAL gearbox...... could be a whole different ball game in a couple of years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Devilman
    I believe hes stated in interviews that he was responsble for sticking with Mugen Honda when he works engine came up and didnt push for a Honda works engine

I don’t quite understand your sentence, but if your saying Eddie was slacking off when he had the chance for a full exclusive works deal, then your mistaken. When Jordan and Bar both had the Honda full works engine it was Jordan that outperformed the Bar. The reason why Bar was chosen was because Honda wanted more out of Jordan than Eddie was prepared to give (remember at this time Honda were also contemplating bringing in their own car aswell so as to challenge Toyota on the same level)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

Rumours today of JORDAN being bought lock ,stock and barrel by the king of the united arab emirates are getting stronger.The king wants to rename and move the team to Dubai.
    Personally, i really hope eddie doesn't sell out.I'd like to see a mercedes or bmw or even better a toyota engine in the back of the jordan so the team can get back were it belongs ;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What happened TO Jordan you mean?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ALLGOOD

Originally posted by ian25
    I'd like to see a mercedes or bmw or even better a toyota engine in the back of the jordan so the team can get back were it belongs ;) .

You cant help but feel they've missed their chance though. Its gonna take them at least another 3 - 5 years to drag themselves up again to where they were in the 1999 season (finishing 3rd, pretty much as good as it gets :).) when they were ahead of BAR, Williams etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

With the proposed new rule changes, namely smaller engines, and possibilities of aero changes, Jordan could easily see themselves move forward if they do it right, or fall behind the Minardis if they do it wrong :/ The EJ14's a dog to drive apparently, they're so slow at the minute I actually wonder what'd happen if they dug up the 99's car plans and ran it instead! :ninja: (With a BMW/Toyota engine replacing the current "engine").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Ando..my point was EJ didnt push hard enough to keep the Honda engine ( if that meant selling off part of the team etc to Honda ) ..and considering where Jordan are now Eddie knows that it was a bad move... sorry if I didnt my original comment was unclear.

As for a Merc engine or a Toyota engine..erm... can we have the Honda engine back please lol and Mike Gascoyne :D.

Anyway..from next year it might be easier on jordan.. semingly the FIA are pushing thrrough a raft of new changes the most important imo.. "engines to last for 2 race weekends"

AND

" a reduction in downforce of 20 - 25 % "

Also for 2006 - V10 3.0 ltr to be replaced with V8 2.4 ltr engines...

any opinions on those ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by ALLGOOD

Why does Eddie still bother ? If you ask me hes like Gerard Houllier at Liverpool, had his chance and blew it.

It is not a sport where there is a level playing pitch.

Much has to do with management and €€$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Isnt it already comfirmed that Jordan has been bought?
    I agree with Devilman, they should have fought to keep Honda with them. I think that was one of the biggest mistake that Eddie made. Another, suing Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I remember reading in F1 magizine that Jordan would be in a far better place now if honda had gone with them strait of the bat. I think Eddie is trying to get money out of the shiek without selling out. Is it true Jordan are on the same engine as Jaguar now? At the end of the day they need money to move of the back of the gid. What happend with Deutche Post and DHL. 2002 best finances ever, 2003 lets go 40 people

• Advertisement

At the start of the season they had the same engine, and the Jordans were still behind the Jaguars (which is by no means a quick car!), but the Jaguars have had engine upgrades throughout the season, the Jordans haven't. And they've another year left on that bloody contract! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

of course the sickner for Jag is that the customer powered Jordan is leading them in the world championship :D

:D LOL, thats true, very very (hilariously) true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Jordan's main problem is money. The big teams all chuck millions and millions at everything and eventually it works. To do well as a GP team you need a good engine (something Jordan don't have), a great chief engineer/designer (Jordan had one in Mike Gascoyne - money) and a modern wind tunnel running almost 24/7 doing aerodynamic testing (again Jordan can't afford this).

Same budget as '99, ~£60M. Problem is back then the other teams also had roughly a 60 million budget, the big teams now run on up to 400 million.

Maybe this (rumoured Dubai) sale will inject some much needed funds. But then, I presume the team would not be named Jordan. Probably not be the same charismatic team they were before. Hell, Jaguar are nothing compared to Stewart! Also, would EJ still run the show? And the team would no longer be Irish? Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I realy cant see EJ selling up. They say hesgot a big bank account but wont put it into the team. This Dubai guy would pump millions into but it wouldnt be in anyway an Irish team anymore. He would probebly want it to be recignised as a mild eastern team. Eddie probebly would stay on but could easily get the bout if he dosent perform.
    On paper it dosnt look too bad ahead of jaguar not far behind Toyota both of whom have huge budgets. On the track they are more offten fighting with the saubers who are 18 points thanks to Geancarlo Fisichella driving the wheells of the car like he did last year with Jordan. If Eddie got the cash im sure he could get the team back up and racing for 5th spot again before the end of 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Jordan were also linked with Roman Abramovich.I dont want Jordan to be like Chelsea, if you dont win the title your sacked the only positive input Abramovich would have on the team is affording a better, more powerful engine.
    Jordan lost it when they switched to ford again and got rid of honda because they came fifth in the championship.

Cmon EJ get your act together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Could someone explain to me why Gary Anderson, chief race and test engineer, and someone who was there @ Jordan from the beginning, is now a pitlane interviewer for RTÉ?
    I heard he left Jordan, went to jaguar, then went back to jordan. Surely he could find a more interesting job, better paid, and be put to more use,somewhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

More news on the Jordan front today.According to a report on www.autosport.com ,Toyota have said they would be willing to supply engines under the proposed new engine rules ,with Jordan being a strong favourite to be on the recieving end :D .

Would probably take on their test driver too, Ryan Briscoe. Hmnnn Glock/Briscoe... heheh.
    Needs to be cheaper than the current Ford deal to get out of the Ford contract! Also would it be a 2005 spec engine, and upgraded when the Toyota one is?

• Advertisement
Advertisement