Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did it start for you?

Options
  • 07-07-2004 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

Inspired by the mini mosher thread and the whole you have to start somewhere thing, Which band/album/song got you listening to rock. Are you still listening to them and so on.............

the first bands I got into was the pumpkins,radiohead and there still two of my favourite bands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

must of been nirvana (i learned my lesson) my brother listen to them all the time, also metallica from my other brother,

but the first band i really like and found myself was weezer and i still listen to them today (not their two last albums though they are ****)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

u2 then metallica and so forth, still listen to metallica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

Radiohead.... definitly changed my way of listening to music... my cousin let me have a loan of the bends and its still one of my favourite albums

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, the Dad has good taste so I was brought up on Neil Young, the Beatles, James Taylor, Crosby Stills & Nash, Bob Dylan etc so I inherited a lot from him.

First band of "my own" finding though was definitely Radiohead. I bough Pablo Honey in about 94 and bought every album up until Amnesiac on day of relase thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I bought a tape of calfornication for £5 when i was fourteen. The first thing i did when i got home from school everyday for a year was put it on. I recently bought it again to complete my collection of RHCP CDs. Its still one of the best albums ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Started from an early age listenin ta Queen...but my first experience with who I am now is when I bought Rage Against The Machine when I was fourteen..changed me life. Still listen to and love them. From there I went on to well, everything...got into Fear Factory, Chilies, Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Children Of Bodom and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Iron Maiden's songs from Carmageddon 2. They sounded cool, so I bought a CD. Now I'm hopelessly addicted to all things rock and metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I forgot it was Iron Maiden who did the songs on that, until I got one of their albums and one of the songs brought images of mowing down peds back into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese dream when I was 9/10ish. Side by side with Metallica at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

In Flames - Jester Race/Whoracle/Colony
    Cant pin one specific album from them 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Started off listening to Queen cause my oul lad listened to it. Then from there to Metallica, Nirvana, Slayer, Green Day, Alice In Chains, from there to Sick of it all, Agnostic Front, Hatebreed etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Started with slipknot, then stuff from their label - machine head, sepultura, coal chamber, misfits, soulfly
    Now I listen to metallica, pantera, slayer, megadeth, ac/dc, manowar, judas priest, iron maiden, in flames, amon amarth, einherjer, rotting christ, los crudos, hot snakes, doomsworld, motorhead
    a bit of everything really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

grew up listenin to stuff like meatloaf and queen. Ive got into rock recently and like all types from stuff like greenday, the hives and the offspring, to motorhead, hendrix, poison, anthrax and led zeppelin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Guns N Roses, I was into Def Leppard and Bon Jovi before that but it was G'n'R who woke me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

it started for me, when a cousin of mine used to play ministry and the melvins all the time,,,,,

Im still a huge fan of these 2 bands, now lots of stuff lookin at me collection, i went through the kiddie rock stuff, (lesson learned) into stuff now along the lines of kyuss, orange goblin, ministry, opeth, S.O.D., tool, Fireball ministry, nebula, dozer,

i think im at that stage, where this is what ill be listening to 10 years from now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭gzdamien

surprise to see los crudos mentioned on the forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

surprise to see los crudos mentioned on the forum!

They are good.. very thrashy.. but anything more than 30 mins and your head will explode :P

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

first of all back when i was 12 i started listenin to limp bizkit (i know, i suck) then i got into papa roach. From there i got listenin to a bunch of other **** bands which im afraid to name until about three years ago when i became the raucous metalhead i am now with bands like metallica, slayer, pantera, soulfly, slipknot, mudvayne etc
    Come to think of it i listen to everything now from pearl jam to the streets. I heard snow patrols song chocolate and i fell in love too so the raucous metalhead thing is probably bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Britney.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

sex pistols was what done it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Was pearl jam for me, brother was a major influence, he has unbelievable taste in music, and a savage lp collection.
    Either way he gave me pearl jam ten and vs when i was about eleven and it started from there. he moved to australia and left the Lp collection in storage - not before I nicked the Janis Joplin anthology from it tho.
    I was blown away with it and really got into the whole 60's blues/rock thing ( I had a pair of genuine 1960's lee cooper flares long before they came into fashion).

I started to play bass in a band with my friends and from there we ventured in thin lizzy, pumpkins,green day and bob dylan. The list is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Metallica, Pearl Jam, Therapy & Guns N' Roses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Nancy boy advert(Tv).
    Before that i think it was offspring[tv/friend] (dont like them ne more) But stuff i like now, probably started off by Linkinpark(Tv) maybe. Lostprophets (friend)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

It all started at the ripe young age of 11. A trip to slane castle with my cousins (19 at the time) and a spur of the moment decision to go see Guns n roses - LIVE! I still have 2 tshirts with the use your illusion logo on them and dated slane castle 92'. I was addicted to them for ages.
    Twisted Sister, velvet revolver, Pearl jam, nirvana, silverchair, maiden, steve miller band, clapton, dire straights, tallica, megadeath and so on soon took my fancy - but i know it all came from gn'r!

ATM, im really open to any good music, ill listen to hiphop, indy and so on.. but - i think slipknot, manson and all the lark is useless - no proper structure to the music what so ever and i cant see someone screaming into a mic being anything that would inspire someone to do anything... so its crap

Rocket queen, we're not gonna take it, i wanna rock, sandman, polly, lithium, ledbetter, the joker, layla, money for nothin'... rock like that are the music that drove my teenage years - the type that makes you feel right and something you can scream (with proper intent) in a bar... with everyone else!

Thats rock imo!

good thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

'Twas Linkin Park for me.. about 4 years ago. Saw "One Step Closer" on MTV and that was that. My fate was sealed, although I don't listen to only rock now, I have a fairly wide range of tastes from stuff like the Murderdolls and Cradle of Filth to Royksopp and Aqua. =D

I shudder to think of what may have become of me had I not discovered LP then...

Good thread. =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Col_May

Definatly "wake up" by RATM.
    When he screams "how long, not long, cuz what you reap is what you sow" at the end, priceless. Makes me want to wreck the police station every time i hear it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭casso

I'm pretty sure it was the likes of Limpbizkit, Papa Roach and Linkin Park that got me started....It just kinda spireled out of control from there and before I knew it I was bangin my head to the Maiden and Metallica.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

heard sk8or boy when i was 23,wild!

Advertisement