Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris Hughton staying at Spurs!!

• 07-07-2004 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭

http://www.fai.ie/FAI/Welcome+to+the+FAI%21.htm

Chris Hughton's future at Tottenham Hotspur has been settled with the Ireland assistant manager being named as part of new Spurs' boss Jacques Santini's coaching staff.

Santini and new Technical Director Frank Arnesen were given a free hand in making appointments and several of last season's coaching staff had left the club with the pair appointing Dutchman Martin Jol as Santini's assistant.

This led to a question mark against Hughton's future, but Santini revealed on Wednesday that the Ireland assistant - one of the first coaches in England with a UEFA Pro Licence - will be part of his backroom team.

"We have other members of the staff, like Chris Hughton who will be very important for me," he said.

Hughton was delighted to have cleared up the uncertainty and is looking forward to getting down to work at pre-season training next week. "I'm delighted after the uncertainty of the last few months," he said.

"I will be coaching the first team and I'm looking forward to pre-season training. It's an exciting time for Tottenham Hotspur."

Hughton also revealed that his new role will have no affect on his involvement with Ireland. The former Ireland international has combined the two roles since Brian Kerr was appointed manager at the start of 2003 and is also busying himself in preparation for the World Cup qualifiers.

I'm glad Hughton is still staying on as Ireland No.2. i think he is a top class coach and he works well with Brian Kerr.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

thats good news,he is a top class coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

its very good news , but it is a step down for him :( .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

thats right a step down but now he should have more time for his work for Ireland.He is at spurs a long time now and under a far few managers anydody no how long he is there....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I was hoping Santini would let him go so he could take a full time roll with the FAI which would involve scouting, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

He's doing well as part of the Kerr team, but I don't think he's a top coach or anything. I can remember him taking charge of Spurs against Bohs last season as Hoddle couldn't be bothered taking the trip. Although the Spurs players all seem to have hated Hoddle, to a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

It is my opinion that he can perform both jobs perfectly well. It is rare that a new manager comes in and keeps on the previous coach so santini must have been very impressed by him. And if a previous manager of a top international side can give him the thumbs up, this can only bode well for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Dub13
    anydody no how long he is there....?
    25 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

INside info on France as well can only be a plus for Ireland! not really sure wat sort of a position he was filling in when Pleat(hate him) was manager! he is more suited to the coaching role!!

Advertisement