Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless setup but nothing!!!!

• 07-07-2004 6:55pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have IOL BB..

Got the prestige 600 series modem..

All working fine with that..

One of the others has a PC, wants to use the BB aswell, so I get 2 wireless cards
    CNet 11Mbps (CNWL-311) and a Belkin 11Mbps wireless access point.

Connect the wireless access point to the router and it pics up the ethernet
    connection immediately.. no worries there..

Install one of the wireless cards in my PC.. about 2 feet from the BB router and
    access point.. set it up like it says in the book and nothing :(

Checked the IP addresses, settings, etc etc etc.. and nothing..

Anyone any ideas or if someone can point me to a step by step guide somewhere..

Tox

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OS's ?

netstumbler or the utility that came with the card will display what it can see. XP has a utilty but it's not that great.

Once you can see the radio signal you try connecting to the ap, then you can start on the IP stuff, then it's firewalls and passwords etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Im running Win 2000 on all PC's and also a laptop im thinkin of connecting..

Ive all the software required installed on one of the PC's and tried connecting to the
    wireless access point through a 8 port switch and then directly to it using a ethernet
    cable and then a crossover cable.. no luck.. the software isnt picking up access point
    at all and either is the wireless card..

Ive tried various different things, disabling firewall, anti virus, everything really..
    was at it for hours yesterday and its really doing my head in.... :mad:

Tox

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

I'm having a similar prob, have the IOL ZyXEL Modem, and would like to connect it up to a 3COM 3CRWE554G72 wireless router. Only prob is that I can't get the two of them to communicate. Light is activated on WiFi router when I connect it to the modem, however I cant access the modem's web-based setup utility on 192.168.1.1, I can still connect to the WiFi's web-based setup utility. When I plug the modem straight into the LAN on the PC (and activate its own DHCP), no probs connecting to the net or to the required IP address, however I've got no network then:(

Any ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    Have IOL BB..

Got the prestige 600 series modem..

All working fine with that..

One of the others has a PC, wants to use the BB aswell, so I get 2 wireless cards
    CNet 11Mbps (CNWL-311) and a Belkin 11Mbps wireless access point.

Connect the wireless access point to the router and it pics up the ethernet
    connection immediately.. no worries there..

Install one of the wireless cards in my PC.. about 2 feet from the BB router and
    access point.. set it up like it says in the book and nothing :(

Checked the IP addresses, settings, etc etc etc.. and nothing..

Anyone any ideas or if someone can point me to a step by step guide somewhere..

Tox

Sounds like the wirelss card isnt "turned on"

Make sure its enabled and actually looking for connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

after you have made sure its turned on, if that doesn't work make sure that the access point has the mac addresses of the wifi cards in its permission table most wifi ap's have a WEP security function enables as default .........

I can be tricky at first getting the router and the access point talking; some things to watch out for.

* make sure the prestige broadband router is in "Bridge Mode" not "router". This means that it no longer acts like a router but will delegate that to the AP. I can't remember which method. Try both.

* connect the access point to the prestige. Ensure that the correct ethernet port is used on your access point. The correct one is usually labeled WAN or Bridge. If the AP has a hub/switch built in you may be connecting it to the wrong port.

* In your access point your wan connection must be set to PPPoE. You must supply your access point with your broadband username and password as it will be logging on to the WAN insted of the router. for iol the username is something like joebloggs@IOLBB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ur-lord

Im having the simular problems, had the the web working over wifi with a different isp no probs Im only worried now if IOL allow wifi networking? again the wifi network itself is working grand, but no internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ur-lord

I think that I have figured out the problem but on xp pro shouldn’t be too different on win 2 k. basically windows will set up the network by simply adjusting the IP settings. As ronoc says check that all of the issues are resolved first. Ok, so thats the network working but still no internet, to get the internet running you MUST use the xp Wizard on both machines with one as server and the other as client, now I know your using win 2 k but this is how I got it working. The next time you go to your network connections folder you should have a new additional network connection! Restart both machines and voila!

Advertisement