Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and XP service pack 1??

• 07-07-2004 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I just installed the xp service pack 1 and now its telling me to safely uninstall my Zyxel Broadband modem, which I got with my Esat broadband. I have it now for 3 months and never had a problem. is this a compatability issue with the service pack 1? It still has the hardware removal icon in the tray. Any ideas anyone??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

It treats USB devices as removable hardware ,which it technicall is.

Dont worry about it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭hjr

Thx, listen I disabled some of my start-up items in order to speed up my start-up, do you think i disabled anything i shouldnt have and maybe thats what caused it??

Also, how can i get rid of the removal icon from my tray??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Also, how can i get rid of the removal icon from my tray??

Plug out the modem.

Its harmless if you removed somethings like the modems little program it will still work ,your better off with it off (unless your modem needs it on that i dont know) but the little icon is harmelss you can chage the USB devices properties (in device manager)to not show but its best kept there in case you need it for removable storage one day.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

you could hide the icon by: right click start > properties > taskbar > hide inactive icons > customise. find the icon and set the behaviour to "always hide". when you need it again (to remove media like KdjaC said), click the double arrows in the taskbar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

serivce pack 2 might have an cure for that but its still release candidate beta version

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement