Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiderman2

Options
  • 07-07-2004 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is anyone going to invest in this when it comes out next week? Looks pretty good imo. From what ive gathered from the reviews ive read, its apparently got the GTA thing going on, with open end gameplay, and the whole of new york to explore (and climb). I dunno about you guys but swinging around NY is starting to look pretty attractive to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

if u got a pc try the demo in the spidrman deluxe edition dvd it aint that great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

If i didnt have a PC, how would i post this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    If i didnt have a PC, how would i post this thread?
    LOL although you could be in a netcafe.

It does look okish but dunno ,the last one was seriously ****e.

kdjac

Aye, the first game wasnt even fit to be Satan's bitches' bitch.? Looks interesting none the less, one of my mates will probably get it, ill just knick it off them for a week...... or a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I liked the first one in the playstation....

downloaded the demo of spiderman 2 from eurogamer and didn't like it tbh.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    I liked the first one in the playstation....

the one based on the cartoon or the movie? i found the cartoon based one strangley good.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I guess the one based on the cartoon - it had Stan Lee as a voice over...you start on a roof with blackcat?

Yeah that was the cartoon version ,very good game.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Spider-man 2 for PC is a different game to the consoles and it's getting crap reviews and the console games are getting great reviews.

here's a review of the PC version
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/spiderman2/review.html

and the game for ps2
    http://ps2.ign.com/articles/527/527185p1.html

Ah crap cant even rent it out for gamecube :(

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I have it for the Ps2 game as so far it seems to be good fun (lot better though than previous versions), the free swinging web thing is great fun and the city is massive with lots of things to be doing, though all the small rescue-stupid-people-who-fell-off-building crap can get tedious.
    It only barely follows the movie, in that characters appearing the movie appear in the game.

Overall i'd recommmend it as its the best spiderman game out there (bar the cool mega drive version)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Freind of mine compleated the Spiderman 2 game for the PC in about a day whithout trying very hard (he isnt a serious gamer or anything). Really not woth the €€€

Originally posted by Rew
    Freind of mine compleated the Spiderman 2 game for the PC in about a day whithout trying very hard (he isnt a serious gamer or anything). Really not woth the €€€

there are two versions out there the console version (which i think is good fun) and the pc version (which is utter crap). they totally dumbed down the game for the pc and it is definalty not worth the cash is bought for pc.

On gamerankings.com spiderman 2 get an average of:
    Ps2 87.1%
    Xbox 87.3%
    Game-Cube 83.6%

while the pc version has an average of 45.0%!!

Two very different versions...

Anyone see the ground zero site, the developers included in the game? But im gona get this game anyway, I liked GTA just for the fact that you can do anything you want, and all games that have this option are good games in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

looks like i'll get it.

anyone know the prices of it in each of the irish shops (not online shops please :))?

I saw it advertised on the gamestop website for €54.99 and comes with a free poster and spider-man t-shirt. has anyone seen a better offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

all i know is that gamespot gave it like a 5

Originally posted by Placebo
    all i know is that gamespot gave it like a 5

that was for the pc version the console version got between 7 & 8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

that suXors then, i have a ps2 but hell i hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

that does suck, pc is the best
    won't be getting this one then, and i like the sand box sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Have both versions, but tbh there's no comparison - they're like different games...

With a maximum playtime of a few hours for even the weakest of gamers I beat the PC version of the game without dieing once on my first run through. Both the PC and xbox versions don't end when you finish the last boss - you instead return to the city to achieve 100%.

The PC version sees you rounding up escaped convicts and collecting 'spiders' just laying about the city. The xbox version has you stopping random crimes in progress, helping citizens, delivering pizza, stopping reckless drivers, etc all to earn 'hero points'. These points can then be exchanged for new abilities and the enhancement of existing ones.

The PC game follows the film's plot/events more closely than that of the console versions - but that's to be expected since the console version was no doubt developed over a large period of time from storyboards/etc while the PC version was knocked together on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

This is the only good point about the PC version however. The graphics are terrible. That's not to say they're exactly breathtaking on the xbox, but they're at least of the kind of standard you expect today. The same can be said for the audio (I'd much have preferred to be able to listen to my own audio on the xbox while webslinging, but unfortunately you can't... unless you keep a discman handy)

The single most annoying thing about the PC version are the loading screens - everytime you want to change district *bam* loading screen. The xbox version has nothing of the sort. On the xbox, you turn it on and you get a loading screen and okay, there are the occasional loading screens between cutscenes / switching to the interior of a building (rare!) but that's it - you have the freedom of the entire city of Manhattan. I'm not sure what city is in the PC version, but it certainly isn't an accurate representation of Manhattan (and is much smaller than the xbox version).

That said, the PC version is good for one thing - if you dont like complicated fighting controls and would rather just button-bash your way to victory you will love it. If however you like intricate combo's, air-combos, slick-spidey-web-fighting-thingies (wtf?) - go for the console version. It's usually 1-on-1 on the PC too... not on the xbox, and you'll need your spidey skills on the xbox for sure.

Webslinging itself on the pc is greeaaat - you aim at little spiderwebs positioned around the city... right... like little anchor points. On the console you aim ... wherever you like? you steer, you can thrust to gain speed, launch, etc. Webslinging on the PC is akin to inverted bungijumping - on the xbox it is actually slinging like the movie... walking along walls, dangling, sligshotting, webzipping goodness.

I'm sure there's more I could say on it, but if you're still reading and haven't decided to buy the console version over the PC version yet then do please go and buy the PC version... you'll make me feel a little better about my wasted cash anyway.

Horrible horrible game on the PC - DO NOT BUY THIS. DO NOT GIVE IT AS A PRESENT. IF SOMEONE GIVES YOU THE PC VERSION HURT THEM.

*ahem*

• Advertisement
Advertisement