Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tayto crisps

Options
  • 07-07-2004 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I would normally buy a packet of tayto cheese and onion with a sandwich if i,m on the road working.normal price 48-50cent. I go on holiday for two weeks and today Tayto have gone up to 60cent . I double checked with the girl behind the counter and she said that she also worked in another shop where they were the same price.
    I bought a packet of King instead(owned by Tayto)and they were also gone up to 55
    cent.how can c+c who own Tayto justify a 20-25% increase.I know its only a small amount but it pisses me off.Whats the price in your area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

There's only one thing for it, its time everybody went back to the old ways and planted a small potato farm on their own land (back yard!), that way we can plant/grow/pick our own potatoes, chop em up, drop em in the deep fat fryer and have our own home made Irish crisps ;) and it will work out a hell of a lot cheaper than buying them by the bag from Tayto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭cheeky_monkey

Sounds like you were fleeced there m8. I paid 48c for a pack just the other day, mouldy they were.

If I were you I'd go back with a rusty pipe for my 12c. Thievin bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by denissilver
    I would normally buy a packet of tayto cheese and onion with a sandwich if i,m on the road working.normal price 48-50cent. I go on holiday for two weeks and today Tayto have gone up to 60cent . I double checked with the girl behind the counter and she said that she also worked in another shop where they were the same price.
    I bought a packet of King instead(owned by Tayto)and they were also gone up to 55
    cent.how can c+c who own Tayto justify a 20-25% increase.I know its only a small amount but it pisses me off.Whats the price in your area.

Tayto used to print the price on the packet, but retailers didn't like that, so now you pay whatever the shop thinks it can get away with. I'd be surprised if Tayto put the price up that much, but it wouldn't surprise me if they made the packets bigger, and charged more for them - I think a packet of crisps used to contain 27g, and now some of them contain 45g.

(In the runup to the Euro changeover, Tayto packets were printed with 28p/35c, so it's a very recent change of procedure).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It would be interesting to find out what the RRP is. I recently won a pack of walkers (you know the competition where you find a voucher in the bag). the voucher said I could win a bag of walkers to the value of their RRP, which as far as I remember was quoted at 38 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I bought a multi pack of crisps in Lidl yesterday and each crisp bag worked out at 9Cent each how can Tayto justify 60cent, I know ,I know, I know advertising, sales, transport Bla, Bla, Bla but still 49cent on 1 bag is a bit much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Isn't Chipsticks, monster munch just 41c. They have it printed on the bag anyways, & I know they're cornsnacks & not crisps. Perri crisps are nicer than tayto anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

We charge 45c for tayto,king, walkers etc 60c for Hunky's. We certainly got no notification of a new RRP from the supplier recently so it was probably the shop that decided to up the price for the hell of it rather than a new RRP from Tayto themselves.

[edit] I must not drink and post...I must not drink and post...I......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

you sound like you are about to go ape sh1t like the guy from Falling Down, The film

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

go for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    how can Tayto justify 60cent, I know ,I know, I know advertising, sales, transport Bla, Bla, Bla but still 49cent on 1 bag is a bit much
    Sigh.

Tayto doesn't justify 60c. The shop charged 60c. not Tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Calibos
    We charge 45c for tayto,king, walkers etc 60c for Hunky's. We certainly got no notification of a new RRP from the supplier recently so it was probably the shop that decided to up the price for the hell of it rather than a new RRP from Tayto themselves.

how much do yee charge for Ripples .

ever since those bastards at Walkers changed they're recipe (for Cheese and onion ) they are my new favourite .

Don't sell Ripples I'm afraid.:)

Originally posted by Calibos
    Don't sell Ripples I'm afraid.:)

:eek: , and the thought that u smiled after that post :eek: .

oh well , I doubt I live even in the same county as you're shop anyway .

In case anyone is wondering what my edit was about, I was ranting about almost feeling like 'if you can't beat them, join them'. ie. That despite charging RRP for 99% of what we sell rather than inventing prices out of thin air our turnover has not increased and I don't think the shop up the roads turnover who seem to add 10 or 15c to every RRP has decreased either. For all the talk of 'shop around' and reward retailers who don't rip you off. Its just that, talk.

What annoys me is that I still have to listen to every tom dick and harry moan about how I am ripping them off??? I point out that I charge RRP, I show them the Wholesale price list with the RRP. What do I get? "Ah sure anyone could print anyold pricelist up, my local shop only charges xyz etc etc". I usually just say to people, "well when you go back to your local shop and realise your mistake ie that they charge the same or more than me, I assume you will come back to appologise to me". Do they ever?? No. :D

My point being I sometimes feel like, well if I have to listen to people accusing me of ripping them off anyway, whether I am or a amen't, I may as well rip them off. I don't follow that train of thought through though as I would be just as bad as the ripoff retailers that give me a bad name by association (People assume now that 'every' retailer is ripping them off) and anyway we can live comfortably without ripping people off.

The rest of the edits were rants about marauding bands of blue rinse 'oul' dears taking 10minutes to get the handbag out of the Dunnes bag, the purse out of the handbag and the money out of the purse and then the reverse...and the way they blo...........Damn, there I go again!! :D:D:D

Youseff was correct, it was a real De'fens 'Falling down' rant 'I had a few beers on me':D:D

put a sign outside the shop up the road , naming how much cheaper , you're prices on main items bought(Milk Bread , I dont know what the most common items bought are ) by people .

when they see the difference they would be thick to keep going to the same place .

It would at least get the shop up the road to bring down they're prices .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

price hike in the last year on tayto/king i think is to do with Walkers more & more people are buying them

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    price hike in the last year on tayto/king i think is to do with Walkers more & more people are buying them

Thats just the typical Irish version of 'competition'. New competitor arrives on the market and starts taking market share. Do they keep their prices the same or even lower them to fight off the competition and maintain their own market share ??? No.......... "Ah sure if that new shower can get away with charging 45c a packet, what are we doing only charging 30c. Lets match their (higher) prices...woohoo!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

I see, and how much is it these days for a bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

Living in Australia I would also like to know this out of a passing interest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Jeasus lads this thread is 8 years old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

95c for a packet of Tayto now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement