Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close This Thread

Options
  • 08-07-2004 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Close This Thread

What Game will get 100% 60 votes

HL2 will get 100%
    0% 0 votes
    Doom3 Will get 100%
    5% 3 votes
    HL2 and Doom3 will get 100%
    0% 0 votes
    Neither game will be good enough to get 100%
    1% 1 vote
    No game has ever been or ever will be worthy of 100%
    28% 17 votes
    review ratings are stupid, %s more so
    51% 31 votes
    User25213123 should relax and take it easy
    13% 8 votes
    monument shouldn't really mess with polls no matter how stupid they are
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i think both these games are way to overhyped and i dont think they will get 100% mabye there isnt a perfect game like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Doubt it , I only played one 100 game ever (Zelda OOT imo) and cant see any FPS getting it maybe original Half Life or Goldeneye would get 98 99 but newer ones are just rehasing old ideas.

But ims sure in some peoples minds its already got a 100. tbh at this stage im expecting Driv3r type games.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Well, honestly I can't see either gaining 100%, they will both be amazing games I think, but will be heavily let down by their inability to run well on all but the newest machines. Even some top spec machines probably won't be able to run them with everything turned on, hardly worthy of 100% if it's not available to play as intended.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

no game can ever get 100% simply because nothing can ever be perfect. than again, very few sites\magazines give decent ratings, except maybe pcZone or pcGamer(granted i don't read many). i remember some of the old nintendo mags. every game had a rating of 7/10 or higher.

Some games i know Edge gave a hundred too

Halo
    Goldeneye
    Zelda
    Mario 64
    there were 7 100s i think from Edge

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

well i suppose zelda and goldeneye would come close, but definatly not halo. and, of course, half life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I wont be getting either tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Close This Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Originally posted by User45701

so many AMAZING games HL1 gets 99 because u couldnt skip the intro when u wanted to play it for the 20th time. I know u could DL a thing that skips it but still.

using my boards.ie search skills you are wrong:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136424&perpage=20&highlight=half%20life%20intro&pagenumber=3

jesus i have nothing better to do that that lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Who cares what PC Zone and PC Gamer say anyway, they both suck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

the way HL2 is shaping up it looks like it could or should get 100% or close to it, I always thought HL1 was at the time about as good a FPS as you can get, even now it beats games such as far cry in the story experience department.

As a policy i dont think either pc mag ever gives 100% for games

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

And Halo is a decidedly 77-83% game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

PC gaming magazines only give 100% ratings very very occasionally to prove it's actually possible to get one. Most magazines/review sites have fairly well defined marking schemes and will probably knock marks off Doom3 and HL2 for lack of replayability or low performance on older hardware.

I'd see a higher chance of games that licence one of the engines (probably Doom3's one based on ID's sucess in the licencing field) being graphically brilliant and incorporating all the features required for 100%. The Quake3 engine looked better every time a new game was developed using it. I would foresee a similar situation with Doom3.

PC gaming magazines only give 100% ratings very very occasionally

have any examples? just wondering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Not off the top of my head and I'm wasting enough of my (employers) time posting without trying to dig some up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by SyxPak

And Halo is a decidedly 77-83% game
    definitely

in fact, i'd go lower for the pc version of Halo. a fairly goddamned tedious game in all fairness, i couldn't even be bothered to finish it.

metroid prime is the closest any game has come to being deserving of 100% in my eyes.
    and i'd only give that 95% if i were reviewing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by Stephen
    Who cares what PC Zone and PC Gamer say anyway, they both suck.

Pc zone can be a enjoyable read at 8 euro 30 cent an expensive enjoyable read mind.I only believe eurogamer for reviews now adays those guys seem to know their zelda from their driv3r (l33t name :rolleyes:)

Im holding out hope that doom3 will get a 90% couldnt really careless about duke nukem forever .....i mean half life 2

I think Planescape tourment deserver 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Listen.

Fools.

No game should ever get 100%

It is impossible.
    No game has, is or will be "perfect".
    That is what 100% means.

You can have some pants-wettingly good games. Marioworld, Sonic, Quake, HL are well deserving of a place in the history books.
    They were excellent games in their time. But would you honestly put them toe to toe with the best of breed of today and expect them to beat them?
    If a game was truely worth 100% no-one, anywhere would ever play anything else ever again.

Zelda OOT 100% without doubt the mythical perfect game.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

What Syx just said ^^^

Testify brother!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Zelda OOT 100% without doubt the mythical perfect game.

kdjac
    ... must get round to playing that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

A game should only ever get 99% max. Every game after been released can be improved. If you give a game 100% it means it can never be improved. Gaming Mags that have giving games 100% in the past is just plain stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's no way in hell a game should get 100%

i reckon HL2 and Doom3 will get high scores but i reckon HL2 will beat Doom3 because of system spec's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A game should never be rated in %'s

If you are too lazy to read multiple reviews, you deserve to buy crap games because you looked at a 99% sticker or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i reckon HL2 and Doom3 will get high scores but i reckon HL2 will beat Doom3 because of system spec's

And on that note, does anyone have fairly accurate system specs for these two beasts? Preferably from the horses mouth or from "people in the know"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ok from the test's of both games.

2500xp, 512mb DDR400, 9600 pro clocked to XT speeds.

Mid detail Halflife 800x600, 60 fps at start with no people, 30 with loads of people around and 20fps with loads of people around and firing a machine gun.

Mid detail Doom 800x600. 40 fps in empty area. 35 with 4 zombies, 25 with 4 zombies + machine gun.

These are the leaked versions, so they can't be taken 100% but unless they "DE-Optimise" the engine I can't see it getting much worse as there was alot of detail in the terrain and enemys.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the latest on the half life 2 specs are contained in this interview

[Interviewer] As the release date nears what are the current minimum CPU/Memory and graphics card requirements in order to run Half-Life 2? Has this changed considerably between your original planned min specs or has it remained relatively close?

[Doug Lombardi] The min spec is:
    1.2 GHz Processor
    256MB RAM
    DirectX 7 level graphics card
    Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
    Mouse
    Keyboard

The leaked demo wasnt optimised or so Carmack said and will be but that was 2 years ago, god only knows what its like now.

Has anyone who says 100 isnt possible actually played and completed Zelda OOT?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

check out game rankings top 100 here
    http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

Zelda OOT got tons of 100% reviews...
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/197771.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement