Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone mast range - urgent- missing person

Options
  • 08-07-2004 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I am trying to find a missing person who made a phone call routed thru the Victoria Place Vodafone Mast (15M high), near Eyre square in Galway.
    Does anybody know the probable range of this mast?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

did you try asking vodafone or o2?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.siteviewer.ie/siteviewer/mast_map.asp?bWFwPWxvY2F0ZSZhPVZJQ1RPUklBIFBMQUNFLCBDSVRZIENFTlRSRSwgR0FMV0FZJmc9MjUyMzMyMiZ6PTEw
    The red dots are mobile phone masts
    - I've no idea how much the overlap is though.
    but you can zoom on the above link

Map_2246571.jpg

Site Name Site ID County Site Co-Located? Antenna Height Above Ground (Metres) Transmission Type Operator
    Victoria Place 5045 Galway YES 18 GSM 1800 O2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

If memory serves me correctly it's in and around 30km.
    After that the speed of light becomes a limiting factor (seriously, the cells have unbelievaly tight timing)
    Though city based towers would have much shorter range due to call traffic and interference.

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

TBH the range of that cell could be 500 metres for all we know. It its the middle of Galway City I would think it is small enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭zt

It could also be directional. It could do 10KM in one direction and .5KM in the other.

I would suggest contacting the police for a missing person. They can get more detailed information from the phone company such as the range of cells the person is using (even when they are not making calls).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im sure who ever gave you the info about where the phone call came from can also tell you distance?

How did you get that info?

sean

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Thanks for all the help, problem has been solved.

Gardai gave me the info BTW

Advertisement