Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Pings

• 08-07-2004 8:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

For well over a week now online gaming has been virtually impossible on Clicksilver, with pings averaging 150-250ms. I've had no luck phoning utv "support" as no-one ever seems to be available. I, along with other newsgroup users, have been raising this issue on the utvsupport ng, again without any answers.
    Are there any Clicksilver customers out there that have managed to get any information about pings from UTV?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am afraid that asking such a question is definitely a triumph of optimism over experience! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Yeah I know, but what can I do?
    UTV Support just seems to constantly brush this problem under the carpet and hope we forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have you ben on the utv support newsgroup? The issue comes up every other day but no worthy response form UTV.

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    Have you ben on the utv support newsgroup? The issue comes up every other day but no worthy response form UTV.

Mike.

:( That's why I started this. I've tried phoning, but just get sent around the houses. Just interested really to see if anyone......at any time in their life.....has had any kind of encouraging news from utv regarding pings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Originally posted by kin9pin
    Are there any Clicksilver customers out there that have managed to get any information about pings from UTV?
    No, and complaining about it seems to be a waste of time/effort tbh.

• Advertisement

At one stage a good while ago they seemed very interested and determined to fix it there were regular responses in the newsgroup and they regularly asked people to submit data but it just seems to have petered out.

After the last major outage ping seemed to improve remarkably which shows the system must be capable of it but now they appear to be worse than ever at times as you all know. It seems strange that they are not interested in getting it right as they must lose cusotmers over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

yes they do lose customers over it, i left Aggggeeeessss ago when I was on Isdn UtvIP. Supprised to see they still havent sorted it, it must be about 18months when I left them

Originally posted by PcP
    No, and complaining about it seems to be a waste of time/effort tbh.
    Why would it be a waste of time and effort? So we're supposed to just accept paying €45 a month for 56K pings are we?

For anyone who's interested, I just got off the phone to UTV support and was told that maintenance will be carried out sometime in the next 2 days (probably on Monday so we can have another gaming-free weekend!). This maintenance is apparently not related to the email notification sent a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Charles just posted in newsgroup

>>I've just got conformation that a substantial bandwidth upgrade has been
    planned and it due for completion imminently. This upgrade is expected to
    address the increasingly poor ping times reported here and through the
    support team, it is also expected to address the reported '8 minutes pause'
    issue.

I will post updates as I get them.<<

Bit late for me but the rest of ye might benefit .

John.

wooohoo, thx Jonski. I'm in work so can't access the ng.
    It's a pity the "substantial bandwidth upgrade" will probably only restore utv pings to their "Eircom + 20/30ms" standard. :(

Oh, and good luck with the new isp. It's nice to see one of us get out alive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

if its even switched on yet, it seems to be working nicely at the moment...

42ms average to jolt.co.uk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

sweet.

haven't been able to play UT2004 for the past two weeks, it better be fixed for the weekend!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im on the 56K (UtvIP XL) at the moment and find the service very good. Iv always found that support has been good, maybe because I wont let problems be "ignored" and keep pestering them. I soon hope to get broadband but I am worried about the download caps set and the upload speed is poor. I plan to say it to them, but I doubt such an issue will be read into much. However, I am a very good customer and always recommend people to them. Hearing there poor pings puts me off getting broadband but I plan to say it to them soon.

Iv spoke to Charles on several occasions and a guy called Stewart who was always willing to help. I may being this issue to there attention and see what I can find out.

And btw, whats the newsgroup URL?

- Sully :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Sully04
    Im on the 56K (UtvIP XL) at the moment and find the service very good. Iv always found that support has been good, maybe because I wont let problems be "ignored" and keep pestering them. I soon hope to get broadband but I am worried about the download caps set and the upload speed is poor. I plan to say it to them, but I doubt such an issue will be read into much. However, I am a very good customer and always recommend people to them. Hearing there poor pings puts me off getting broadband but I plan to say it to them soon.

Iv spoke to Charles on several occasions and a guy called Stewart who was always willing to help. I may being this issue to there attention and see what I can find out.

Above = me 12 months ago

If you plan to play FPS games online stay away , if not sign up

news.utvinternet.com

And btw, whats the newsgroup URL?

Unfortunately UTV are not very worried about 'very good customers' at this stage. You wont be saying anything new to them or that they have not read a zillion times in the newsgroup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

oh what a surprise...
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping jolt.co.uk

Pinging jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=157ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=204ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=172ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=172ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 157ms, Maximum =  204ms, Average =  176ms

:rolleyes:

that was a few minutes ago..it seems to be going up and down alot.... its also happening to someone on the newsgroup.

*SIGH* <stuck-up posh voice>i grow weary of this charade</stuck-up posh voice>

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think a moderator should merge all the UTV "bitch" topics, complaints etc. to one post. I mean, there all over the place when one post should do.

Just a thought...

- Sully

I think a moderator should merge all the UTV "bitch" topics, complaints etc. to one post. I mean, there all over the place ...............

- Sully

Just like the pings themselves!

:rolleyes:

Advertisement