Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touting allowed on FS now?

Options
  • 08-07-2004 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I'm amazed at the amount of touts on FS selling oxegen tickets. Just this morning there's a thread from a guy who, last week was looking to buy a weekend ticket, and he is now selling that ticket for...€250.

This has to stop. Boards is supposed to be somewhere you can come and get tickets at face value from people who aren't looking to rip you off. Yet the rule about 'no touting' in the FS charter is being blatantly ignored by all the mods - in fact, Mercury_Tilt has taken it upon himself to be defender of the touts, asking people to stop posting the touts phone numbers on buyandsell personal ads etc!!

I think everyone here deserves an explanation why the mods aren't doing their jobs. Considering up until now they've been the strictest of any forum, this is strange to say the least.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

It's one thing asking for €250, but if a person offers it then you're hadly going to decline.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, asking for over the odds is naughty but we can hardly stop people throwing themselves at the owner of tickets. Can you link me the case in question and I'll take a look.
    We dont tolerate touts and if someone is buying and selling, even if they are just "offering" the tickets, we'll do something about them.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

9000+ posts 4 a day for 6 years? sweet jesus Devore, and I thought I was a nerd

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Batbat
    9000+ posts 4 a day for 6 years? sweet jesus Devore, and I thought I was a nerd

duhh, he runs this place, of course his post count is high.

Dev - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=1750343#post1750343

The first post said 'price is €250' but has since been edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It's very simple.

If someone offers a ticket initially for above the asking price (i.e. they intend from the outset to make a profit) then it's touting.

If someone offers a ticket at the asking price and sombody offers more, it's not touting.

Some people are touting on boards but MOST are not (from what I've seen)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

It doesn't take a genius (or a tout) to work out that all he has to do is offer a ticket at face value and wait for someone to bid their 200e or pick up a 'wanted' thread with a silly amount of money in the subject. Both ways the tout gets the result he wanted and there is nothing you can do to differentiate between a seller who genuinely can't go to the festival and someone who just bought the ticket to sell and make 50e in the process.

Don't forget to ban (almost everyone who has posted in FS Tickets in the last week) for off thread dealing. I loved it when I got banned for telephoning before posting on a this-day-only offer months and months ago, so I assume anyone posting telephone numbers & email addresses are awaiting a ban and thread starters who don't conclude the sale on thread will also disappear from the boards environs.

But where is the point when all these people are <10 post accounts who will not come back to boards until they can make a few quid on the next sold out festival.

Close the forum until you can work out a way for it to stay not-for-profit or change the charter: "free for all, buy low sell high".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    For the record I would like to point out I had over 1.6 billion PMs from people complaining about their number being abused after they tried to tout tickets.. thus my post regarding abusing their moby numbers….. thus I felt I had to act….
    So, if I've got this straight, blatant touts were dumb enough to post their moby numbers on threads and people were creative enough about posting them around (hopefully on S&M dating sites)?

Good, more power to ye lads.

(though I'm sure Merc made the right call on this one)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I edited one guys post to try to make it look like he was trying to find a home for some kittens but someone removed his number :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by eth0_
    THey don't respond to their PM's. It took me a week to get unbanned from here after a 1 week ban about 6 week ago, I PM'd every FS mod and had to get vexorg to unban me in the end, and apparently one of the mods kept putting my ban back on 'for the craic' or whatever.

Methinks there needs to be a review of the current mods...whats the point in having so many if they're never on here?
    Originally posted by eth0_
    Yet the rule about 'no touting' in the FS charter is being blatantly ignored by all the mods

That's bull$hit, ALL reported tout posts have been attended to. Also you never asked me to unban you, in fact I remember specifically helping you out with a favour when you were banned by another mod. So I don't know who or WTF you're talking about, but get your facts straight.

And no, mods are not sitting here on boards 24 hours a day waiting for someone to break the rules. Some of us have paid jobs to look after in 'real life' tm. Why don't you get boards to set up mobile text messaging alerts so we can be called on our Bat phones when some evil villain breaks the rules.

Maybe some of the mods don't like you because you have an attitude problem. I'm starting to see why.

• Advertisement
Advertisement