Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola V525 Questions

Options
  • 08-07-2004 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for opinions on the Motorola V525 from current or previous owners. Would you recommend it? Also, is it possible to unlock it so as to put an o2 sim in, instead of Vodafone? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It can be unlocked with a data cable for free or for about €20 in you local fone unlocker type place.

Ive had one for a while now and really like it. The camera is very good and Bluetooth is always handy. Ive transferred my pics to the pc and they look great. 600 x 480 so the res is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Is a data cable the same as a USB cable? I'm pretty ignorant in all these areas. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Stekelly
    It can be unlocked with a data cable for free or for about €20 in you local fone unlocker type place.

I thought you could only do remote unlocking? I've been searching for ways to unlock with the cable but can't find anything.

Original poster, yes, it is a grand phone I must say. I flashed to a v600 which is a little better. You can also change the colour themes etc if you have the right software
    and a rake of other stuff if you have the right software.
    Camera is excellent too.

(although I wish Motorola would get beyond the stupid phonebook where you have a different entry for one person's multiple phone number. I have one person down our times for home, mobile, work, and another home. My auld J6 had a great menu where there was one name, you click that and a sub-menu appears showing their numbers. That's just a rant though)

Originally posted by eljono
    Is a data cable the same as a USB cable? I'm pretty ignorant in all these areas. :confused:

Yeah you can get the data cable in one of a couple of optiions. Either serial or USB. U can also get a blurtooth connection kit. All do the same thing, just depends on what suits you, ie do you have a free seriel or USB port.

What's the story with changing it to V600? Does that mean it works the same as a V600 with the same menus and options? Can you do that yourself?

• Advertisement

I'm buying a 2ndhand one with a data cable and software. Would I need to be a techie to unlock it or is it straight forward?

With the exception that you can't flash the phone with a bluetooth connection.
    Most of the tools I've seen require a usb or serial connection.

yeah yu can download the software for free, talk to Mad m, i got links and stuff from him a while back for the software and it works a treat. Once, its done you have a v600 in a v525 shell.

over bluetooth? Didn't know that.
    I use p2kman, victorGSM & PST. Mad M gave me some useful tips when I (almost) completely buggered my phone upgrading to v600.

Nice one, cheers for the advice. :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    over bluetooth? Didn't know that.
    I use p2kman, victorGSM & PST. Mad M gave me some useful tips when I (almost) completely buggered my phone upgrading to v600.

Not sure if you can do the flashing through bluetooth because your useing 3rd party software so not sure if it supports it, but everything else works with it.

Advertisement