Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win2K pro disk mirroring

Options
  • 08-07-2004 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi all,

bugger me but I cannot get the disk mirroring to work on this particular machine.

I have two identical drives in one machine, disk0 is 40GB, and I have creted a 20GB simple volume on it, and I have upgraded the disk to dynamic. the rest of the disk space is unallocated

disk1 is completely unallocated.

according to MS I should be able to right click on the simple volume on disk0 and "add mirror"

but for some reason it is greyed out. I have reinstalled the OS from scratch as it was a dell install, but still no joy.

do the disks have to be on seperate IDE channels or something like that?

any help appreciated.

B.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

ffs......

sorry for wasting anyones time.......

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 293420

Cannot Create a Mirrored Volume in Windows 2000 Professional
    Applies To
    This article was previously published under Q293420
    SUMMARY
    In the Disk Management snap-in, if you right-click a simple volume on a dynamic disk, the Add Mirror option is unavailable; you cannot create a software mirror in Windows 2000 Professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

wait your using windows software RAID? also you cant raid IDE to the best of my knowledge

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For NT4 - might work on NT5
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/tips.shtml#ftworkstation
    Fault Tolerance on Workstation?
    One of the differences I highlighted in my November 1996 Windows NT Magazine article, "Inside the Difference Between Windows NT Workstation and Windows NT Server," was that fault tolerant disk configurations are only available on Server. This is because the Windows NT disk administrative program, Windisk.exe, checks to see if its running on a Workstation, and if so, does not display its Fault Tolerance menu, which contains the entries that are used to create mirrors and parity striped sets.

It turns out that whoever wrote the Workstation Resource Kit program FTEDIT was unaware of Microsoft's official policy on fault tolerance and Workstation: it appears you can use this utility to create mirrors and striped sets with parity on Workstations.

Update: several people have complained that this doesn't work, which isn't surprising since I left out an important step: the Fault-tolerant disk driver must be enabled. If you have an existing volume-set then it is already is, but if you don't, use a Registry editor to set the value of:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\FtDisk\Start

to 0. The next time you boot your workstation, the fault-tolerant drives you have created will be functional.

Reskit tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/default.asp
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/
    http://www.petri.co.il/download_free_reskit_tools.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

software raid.. Pfft

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by ando
    software raid.. Pfft
    How's about software RAID 0 - gotta be good for a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Software RAID can be very good - just not Windows software RAID.

Advertisement