Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions on ram

Options
  • 08-07-2004 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

right i'm in the market for a gig of ram needs to do CAS 2.0 @ 200mhz and be prime95 stable

so i looked at www.shop4memory.com and they have 1Gb of mushkin level 1 pc3200 for €258 that does 2-3-2-6

this seems perfectly reasonable to me, there is also an ocz one that does 2-3-2-5 but thats almost €50 extra and i don't think €50 is worth it to drop the TRAS by one

then the OCZ EB stuff is even more expensive and CAS 2.5.

then we're into the expensive mushkin stuff stuff using guranteed BH6 and stuff which i can't be arsed with.

so what do people think of the mushkin level 1's?

opinions please

data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

dont mushkin do a level one pc3200 cas2-2-3-2 for 258 aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

it must be the same stuff we are thinking of.

mushkin only give the first three timings so its will be 2-3-2, they don't release the TRAS one i think but i've heard its 6 which is fine as on an nforce2 motherboard i here you want that digit to be 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The mushkin L1 Ram is good stuff, cant go too far wrong with it IMO. Am pretty sure it has Winbond CH chips.

You could also check the price on www.jes-computer.de , or the mushkin homepage (they deliver to here AFAIK) ....... might save a couple of quid.

cheers loki

i looked at jes-computers.de and they where similarly priced there. also my friend had credit with shop4memory so i gave him that money for that, so i bit the bullet and ordered last night.

shop4memory also let me specify the colour of the heat spreaders on the chips. have to say i was very impressed with them in general.

communicated with them on msn yesterday which i thought was cool.

so i should have this gig of CH mushkin with black heatspreaders winging its way to me :) along with my current stick of BH5 corsair.

do you know if the nf7 will take a gig and a half of pc3200 ram? even if it does i figure me getting the three of em working stable together will be difficult

so i reckon i'll be selling my corsair stick at some later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I will have to buy a gig of pc 3200 soon aswell...i was thinking about getting this...whatcha think..the reviews of it have been very positive.

Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO DDR 1024MB Kit w/two matched CMX512-3200LLPRO DIMMs

Latency: 2-3-2-6
    €385.00 :dunno:

Thats like €130 more than the mushkin level 1 pc3200....humm suppose the corsair is matched dual channel tho.Its for a S939...if that helps for advice.

Thx,
    CC

• Advertisement

don't do it lad that memory has more or less the same specs as the muskhin, actually its identical once the mushkin has a TRAS of 6 which i believe it has.

don't waste your money on the corsair. that corsair just uses CH5 memory chips you could get yourself some BH6 mushkin for that price but tbh i'd just recommend the stuff i got afaik its dual channel, just check with shop4memory that its ok for socket 939

if you really have a hard on for corsair check out the XL range that does 2-2-2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Ok then....can you tell me why this XLPRO ram is cheaper then the LLPRO evan though it's faster ?

Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO DDR 1024MB Kit w/two matched 512MB 3200XL PRO's DIM Latency: 2-2-2-5
    €375.00

Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO DDR 1024MB Kit w/two matched CMX512-3200LLPRO DIMMs Latency: 2-3-2-6
    €385.00

:)
    CC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO DDR 1024MB Kit w/two matched 512MB 3200XL PRO's DIM Latency: 2-2-2-5
    €375.00

Thats the new stuff thats out, its made with Samsung chips and is very flexable as it will do 250mhz (DDR500) at decent enough timings aswell as ultra tight ones at lower speed.

For someone who is going to be willing to put alot of voltage through it the BH5 or OCZ EB should out perform this ram at higher speeds as its easier to keep the timings down.
    Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO DDR 1024MB Kit w/two matched CMX512-3200LLPRO DIMMs Latency: 2-3-2-6
    €385.00

Possibly BH5/6 chips ? Im not sure about that. The Mushkin is a better option due to the price difference IMO.

Im not mad about corsair there overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

It will do ddr500 at 2.5-3-3-7 according to a review althought.

I got it to 430ddr at 2-2-2-5 before i got a crash. I dunno if that was cpu or ram related tho. Must test that out later.

I am very pleased with this although it is quite costly (about 380 incl VAT for a gig).

Review of it can be found at anandtech

Originally posted by Col_Loki
    Possibly BH5/6 chips ? Im not sure about that. The Mushkin is a better option due to the price difference IMO.

Im not mad about corsair there overpriced.

too my knowledge that corsair stuff is CH5 only if it was BH6 i think it should be capable of 2-2-2-6.

anyway get the mushkin, i had the guy from shop4memory get back onto me on msn today to say sorry but i mistook the black heatspreaders one for purple heatspreaders one and was that ok.

i said sure and he said it would ship today and be there by monday

happy days

• Advertisement
Advertisement