Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whatever happened to.......

Options
  • 08-07-2004 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

The Ford Probe!

93113361991102LRG.jpg

i can remember the ads on tv but i never saw one on the roads here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I've seen loads of them around Dublin
    It's a beast of a car, though it wouldn't really be my cup of tea..

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Good point!

I've only ever seen two Id say - guy down the road from me used to have a winey coloured one - horrible colour but class car!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Beast of a car? Heap of ****e more like. And ugly as sin too.

It was based on a Mazda 626 for god's sake.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

by 'beast of a car' I meant, big engine.. Were they a 3litre?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

One of my former bosses had one, it was a 2.0. Most of them were, at least down this way. It was pale metallic flipflop blue with chrome alloys; I think he may have been taking a course in hair care.

Gotta admit I was tempted to buy one last month though. They were the consummate posers car back then, but I reckon you'd get away with it now. A bit Celica around the hindquarters too. :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

just did a quick check on www.buyandsell.net

you can pick up a 1996 probe 2 litre injection with cd player and air con for about 3 grand.

thats not bad...wonder what theyre like to drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by irlirishkev
    by 'beast of a car' I meant, big engine.. Were they a 3litre?

2.0 and 2.5, the 2.0 had all the performance of a loaded hearse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A truly horrid car - the idoits at Ford UK tried to sell it as as the new Capri and they gave us a Salthill instead!

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    A truly horrid car - the idoits at Ford UK tried to sell it as as the new Capri and they gave us a Salthill instead!
    It's certainly no Crapi, but do you mean the exterior or the interior Mike? The exterior isn't /that/ bad, although (as I said) it does seem to have take some styling cues from elsewhere.

I'll tell you one thing I was surprised about my boss's one, the exterior build quality was very good for a Ford at that time. Excellent shutlines and a nice solid thunk from all the yokes that opened and closed.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Adam it sucks! Look at the shape, its an affront to design aesthetics. I can't see a single angle or swooped curve combi that works. The rear C pillar/boot line as seen above is particularly offensive. The drooped nose line is bad as well. The way the bottom of the rear bumper molding lifts... could go on! :)

I've just had an idea for a thread...

Mike.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mike65
    The rear C pillar/boot line as seen above is particularly offensive.
    Jesus Mike, that's like saying the MK2 Celica was offensive, and I'm sorry, but no?

I disagree with you on the nose - sorry, I like it - but I gotta concede the rear bumper. Yeah, that was kinda nasty.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It was a great example of getting the design wrong. The car wasn't particularly good looking and had started to look old/dated before most people had taken delivery of theirs.

When I think of the Probe I always remember the guy who had the 100mph accident the day he bought his one and ended up in prison (manslaughter conviction I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The Probe is the bast*rd son of the Mazda 626 and the Mk1 Mondeo - back in 1993 it was the coolest thing to have and looked the part but time hasn't been kind to it. The body quality was always poor and the panel fit appalling - the interior is completely Mondeo and totally dated. The Probe was slightly quicker than the Mondeo in a straight line but god forbid you tried to corner in it, its high centre of gravity gave it the body-roll of a horse transporter. There are lots of nicer cars without considering the Probe - let it shuffle off in peace...

'ceptr

Advertisement