Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

domain REGISTRAR-LOCK

Options
  • 08-07-2004 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

I am having trouble with a clients site...they registered it ages ago with networksolutions, and then recieved an email without notifying us about the domain reaching the end of its sub. the domain then went without renewal, which then went to redemption!

I tried to backorder to no avail, and had to wait till the redemption was up. then i find out that i cant register it as someone else has gotten hold of it....not a whois gives me REGISTRAR-LOCK...can ne1 shed light on this or am i completely s-crewed on this one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by sinus
    I am having trouble with a clients site...they registered it ages ago with networksolutions, and then recieved an email without notifying us about the domain reaching the end of its sub. the domain then went without renewal, which then went to redemption!
    Redemption period means that you can redeem the domain, normally by paying a fee from $50 to $200 depending on the registrar. Network Solutions switched to a web based interface a few years ago and now only sends out e-mail notifications every few months.
    then i find out that i cant register it as someone else has gotten hold of it....not a whois gives me REGISTRAR-LOCK...can ne1 shed light on this or am i completely s-crewed on this one?
    The period after Redemption is 'Pending Delete' and this can last over 5 days. Then after the domain is deleted, it is up for renewal. If there is no WHOIS data returned then the domain may be pending delete. I am not sure if from your post if the domain is active or is being referred to a (new) registrar's WHOIS that may only have a web interface.

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

In the case of COM/NET, REGISTRAR-LOCK means the domain name is locked at registrar level, i.e. you can't modify any of the details without getting them to lift the lock first. In multi-level registries like OpenSRS, the reseller is usually in a position to lift the lock on request. It adds a little extra security.

[EDIT: For the record, John's talking below about a different status, called REGISTRAR-HOLD. It's much the same, but the domain stops working completely, and it's applied automatically to expired domains, UDRP-challenged domains, etc.]

adam

Originally posted by sinus
    I tried to backorder to no avail, and had to wait till the redemption was up. then i find out that i cant register it as someone else has gotten hold of it
    There's your answer John. Sinus, sorry, but it's gone, all you can do now is try to get it back when it comes up for renewal again, or try and buy it off the current owner. For future reference, as John says, you should have jumped instead of waiting when the domain was in redemption. It would have cost you a few quid extra, but at least you'd have your domain. :(

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

thanks all..

they were asking for €150 in redemption but seeing as i knew this 2 weeks before redemption was up i thought i would wait it out and jump then!!!

FOOL!!! :confused: now i am in the doo doo

Sometimes it can be worth the wait, especially if you're in the business and logging into domreg systems every day. If you're not, services like SnapNames can be a godsend, but if the domain has any value at all it can be a real flip of the coin as to whether you get it or not.

I've only used SnapNames meself once, but it worked for me and it since I'd been trying to trap the domain in question for nearly three years, it was great value.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by dahamsta
    There's your answer John. Sinus, sorry, but it's gone, all you can do now is try to get it back when it comes up for renewal again, or try and buy it off the current owner. For future reference, as John says, you should have jumped instead of waiting when the domain was in redemption. It would have cost you a few quid extra, but at least you'd have your domain.
    Yeah Adam.
    The Redemption Period thing was introduced to give people a last chance. However what happens during the deletion phase is that the WHOIS data is deleted from the registrar's WHOIS database but Netsol will still refer the query to the registrar's database (in Netsols case it will indicate that no local data could be found.) I thought (with 0 mugs of coffee) that this was a possibility. Unfortunately if someone has reregged it then it is a question of trying to get it back or waiting the squatter out.

Regards...jmcc

Originally posted by jmcc
    The Redemption Period thing was introduced to give people a last chance.
    Nah John, it was introduced to make Verisign GRS more money. :)

adam

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

<off topic> kinda weird having two Qs about lapsed domains within days of each other! </off topic>

Advertisement