Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant 04/05

Options
  • 08-07-2004 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

I heard the cut off point for your parents salary was going up..
    Anyone know anything about this? Im going into 3rd year of a
    degree course and the past 2 years I couldnt get it because my
    parents earned too much. A few months ago I moved out and
    into an apartment. Does this increase my chances of getting it
    next year because Im living away from home?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Repli
    I heard the cut off point for your parents salary was going up..
    Anyone know anything about this? Im going into 3rd year of a
    degree course and the past 2 years I couldnt get it because my
    parents earned too much.

You could very well get it this year, when I applied for a grant in first year I was turned down. When they bumped up the limit for the next year I was accepted. I should get it again for third year.
    Originally posted by Repli
    A few months ago I moved out and
    into an apartment. Does this increase my chances of getting it
    next year because Im living away from home?

Unfortunately not.

Get your applications in quick by the way :D I know I'm going to have mine in ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

That actually strikes me as odd, If you don't sponge off your parents, have various part time jobs etc. then surely you should be entitled to a grant, just because you have parents who earn reasonable money doesn't neccesserily mean you get anything off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

I'm wondering now too about the grant. I'll be going into 4th year and have never been entitled to it up til now. But we were only marginally over the cut off point up til now. But my Dad retired last February so that really changes things. Pain in the face trying to work out all the facts and figures. But I'm hoping I do get a prtial maintenance grant this year coz not having to pay that bloody 700 quid would be a significant burden lifted off my finances! And I'm the last in the family to go to college, and it's my last year. C'mon nice people in the City Council, can't you understand my plight! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by roxy
    I'm wondering now too about the grant. I'll be going into 4th year and have never been entitled to it up til now. But we were only marginally over the cut off point up til now. But my Dad retired last February so that really changes things. Pain in the face trying to work out all the facts and figures. But I'm hoping I do get a prtial maintenance grant this year coz not having to pay that bloody 700 quid would be a significant burden lifted off my finances! And I'm the last in the family to go to college, and it's my last year. C'mon nice people in the City Council, can't you understand my plight! :(

I dont like to be the bearer of bad news but they take your Dads current P60 which detials all his earnings from january 2003 - december 2003 into account as means of assessing whether you need the grant or not - afaik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah. It'll be based on the 2003 calendar year. My sister was in a _slightly_ similar situation this college year. THe difference is that my father had retired during the previous calendar year so after much waiting (months) his income level was finally recalculated and she got the grant & non-tuition refunded in March.

The best advice for someone in your situation would be to ring the dept of education's grant office and see if they can recalculate your family income based on your fathers new income. If they can it will probably take months and months, but you might get a grant and non-tuition-fee refund in the end.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The grant system is unfair
    Even if u haven't lived at home leading up to college had to support urself and continue to do so during college it doesnt matter ,It will still go on ur parents income and thats not even the worst if u had to work thru school or so far during college this income is taken into account too they will not see it as this student is struggling to survive on their own ,they will see it as ooh look how much they have earned this year.
    Summer holiday earnings are not taken into account or other holiday earnings but in my opinion it should be the other way around all students work during the summer.
    The ones that have to work during the year </rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

If you have been living away from home and continue to do so you can appy for the grant on indivdual basis.

You will need to prove it with bills and stuff. Also if you parents have put money into your account or the fee from previous years have been paid from your parents account they can see this and will refuse you straight away .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    You could very well get it this year, when I applied for a grant in first year I was turned down. When they bumped up the limit for the next year I was accepted. I should get it again for third year.
    I could be wrong here but if you got it last year I thought you automatically get it this year. Limerick City Council sent out renewal forms to their entire list recently (no income questions apart from a "has there been a change" question[1], just tick the "I'm going back" box and sign it). I realise Cork are among the most inefficient council for this (and I know you've had experience of this) but I know they had a similar form as my other half got one from there.

[1]It's only got a two line box so they're not looking for anything other than "won the lotto", "became CEO of Shell", "lost all my money in Las Vegas" or "no" answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Thanks for all the info! I got the application forms anyway gonna give it a shot!

• Advertisement
Advertisement