Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give Bush a break!

Options
  • 08-07-2004 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

I saw Fahrenheit 9/11 on the 28th of June and after much contemplation I think public opinion is too hard on Bush. Granted I don’t like the guy but I think he deserves a bit of a break.
    The public scolding Mr Chirac gave Mr Bush for daring to say this week that it would be a good idea for Turkey one day to become a member of the E.U was amazingly rude. Chirac is not alone either, most European leader are postponing reconciliation till after November in the hope that Kerry will be the president after then. It is worth remembering that Bush did try very hard to persuade the Security Council to authorise the war in Iraq, a war that Kerry favoured. It is also unlikely that Kerry will change America’s policy on Kyoto or the international criminal court. And the probability is that a Kerry administration would stick to the Iraq plan it inherits from Bush.

Bush has done all that foreign governments have demanded him to do in Iraq. Iraq has its own sovereign government fully endorsed by the UN Security Council and Saddam has been handed over to this new sovereign state. Yet foreign politicians still despise Bush.I say give the guy a break, he’s trying to run the only Superpower in today’s troubled world, it can’t be easy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

The public scolding Mr Chirac gave Mr Bush for daring to say this week that it would be a good idea for Turkey one day to become a member of the E.U was amazingly rude

And bush trying to muscle the EU into accepted a country with a brutal human rights effort was what?
    I say give the guy a break, he’s trying to run the only Superpower in today’s troubled world, it can’t be easy.

Esp if you're a coke sorting, business ruining, alcoholic, convicted felon, C average, draft dodging, can't even finish the cushy get outa jail free card assignment you got to avoid going to vietnam, lying, cheating incompendent, nap taking, lazy idiot.
    It is worth remembering that Bush did try very hard to persuade the Security Council to authorise the war in Iraq,

That would be what we now affectional know as "the tissue of lies and bul**t" we refer to as Colin Powells UN speech?
    Bush has done all that foreign governments have demanded him to do in Iraq. Iraq has its own sovereign government fully endorsed by the UN Security Council and Saddam has been handed over to this new sovereign state

Except that the "soveriegn" govt is proped up by a US force it can't remove, can't charge it's soldiers with the death of Iraqis, a council hand picked by the US administration, lumbered with laws it can't remove which allow US business all the rich pickings and does not force them to reinvest in Iraqi, oh and Saddam is still held by the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

The public scolding Mr Chirac gave Mr Bush for daring to say this week that it would be a good idea for Turkey one day to become a member of the E.U was amazingly rude.

Scandalous, indeed, how dare a jumped up European tell the nice Texan to butt out of European Affairs. Doesn't Gerhard Schroeder offer regular advice to the States on how to cut the Federal Budget defecit...
    It is worth remembering that Bush did try very hard to persuade the Security Council to authorise the war in Iraq, a war that Kerry favoured.

I remember that 'very hard persuading'. They sent along Colin Powell with some spy sat pictures that wouldn't look out of place on Tony Harts 'Gallery' whereupon CP gave a running commentary on 'That could be a missile silo, and that could be a lab making weapons'

Btw - that pain in my ass could be piles and it could be Dubya. Hard to tell from this distance...
    It is also unlikely that Kerry will change America’s policy on Kyoto or the international criminal court. And the probability is that a Kerry administration would stick to the Iraq plan it inherits from Bush.

Aye - you're prolly right there, but just cos Kerry inherits a clusterf*** from Dubya ain't a good reason to give ol' monkey face an easy ride
    Bush has done all that foreign governments have demanded him to do in Iraq.

Right - and the next shuttle bus for your planet leaves at what time precisely. maybe he has in the last few weeks - when he realised that all that guff that Dick'n'Condi'n'Colin and the lads said wasn't all true
    he’s trying to run the only Superpower in today’s troubled world,

There's an 'i' in the word 'ruin'

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Give Bush a break!

F**k no!

Mycroft just about summed him up as a "a coke sorting, business ruining, alcoholic, convicted felon, C average, draft dodging, can't even finish the cushy get outa jail free card assignment you got to avoid going to vietnam, lying, cheating incompendent, nap taking, lazy idiot."

He's a clown. I had to laugh at him at the end of F9/11 when he goes: " Fool me once, um, ur, um." Looked like his earpiece malfunctioned and his lackey on the other end didn't get to tell the punchline to the quote. Either that ot his tiny brain had a spasm of some sort...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

the point i'd like to take up in the first point is about kerry, i do have fear that even if kerry wins things won't change that much and people eye will be taken off the ball

but i think a fair number of people know kerr ain't the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Spock
    I saw Fahrenheit 9/11 on the 28th of June and after much contemplation I think public opinion is too hard on Bush.

You must of been watching a different movie to me then because a lot of what was said in that movie Bush should be impeached.

Or do you think someone who was sitting on his ass enjoying a holiday instead of reading documents that would of warned him about 9/11 is a good thing?

Or prehaps how him, his friends have all profited from 9/11+Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

did you read this in the paper today

as i read it a friend of bush hs giving a large donation to nadar in the hope that it will detract votes from kerry in oder for bush to win

the crafty bastard, can you say bastard?

imho i think the rise of a third party (fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh etc) is vital for a better democracy in america

not that im a fan of party/parliamentary politics

althought not many here seem to agree with me

and of course they'll never be a good time in democrats eyes to do that since they still blame nadar for gore's loss

I see Bushes friend Tom Ridge has said AQ are planning to attack the election.

Any bets it will be areas that don't vote for bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Aye - you're prolly right there, but just cos Kerry inherits a clusterf*** from Dubya ain't a good reason to give ol' monkey face an easy ride

You know it's amazing; i know people from all parts of Ireland who don't know each other and yet refer to Bush as "Monkey Face"... :rolleyes:

A friend even brought me back a little something from the states; from the Anti-Bush movement. It was a fake dollar; though very realistic with Bush's face really giving credit to the theme "Monkey Face"... :rolleyes:

I tend to try to avoid politics except when they can potentially affect me; and with Bush currently in charge of a world superpower.... he hasn't made much of an impression on me except that of a gung-ho cowboy... whether he ultimately does good or bad would be one massive debate... :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Spock Have you been reading the economist? ;)

Bush sucks, However the reality is that he is here until at least november and until that time all policy with america has to ran through him.The problem being that grudges from last year now mean that all moves made by the bush admin to comprimise are being rejected by predominantly european leaders.

Now Considering that those of us who were against last years war claim to have had the Iraqi's best intrests at heart, is it not a little hipocritical to dismiss attempts at diplomacy that can help just because of last years farce and the admins record.

Theres 3 months of bush left, should Iraqi's or afghani's be cut short simply because we cant get over ourselves to take any positives offered?.

Even if the admin are ****?

Afghanistan? Where's that? Didn't Bush send an army out there once to look for some guy called Bin Laden? What happened to that?

Now where did I hear that there are more cops in New York city right now than there are American soldiers in Afghanistan (~11000 IIRC)? Not a lot of manpower to look for one of the most dangerous men in the world, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    Now where did I hear that there are more cops in New York city right now than there are American soldiers in Afghanistan (~11000 IIRC)? Not a lot of manpower to look for one of the most dangerous men in the world, is it?
    Ah ye sure? An awful lot of the NYPD is in Iraq at the moment.

I think the statistic came from Fahrenheit 9/11. The Pentagon doesn't list numbers but estimates on different sites vary between 10000 and 18000.

Any way you look at it, they're not exactly tearing Afghanistan apart looking for the dodgy-kidneyed one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    they're not exactly tearing Afghanistan apart looking for the dodgy-kidneyed one...

I'd imagine if they were 'tearing Afghanistan apart looking for the dodgy-kidneyed one...' people whould be complaining about that too.
    Originally posted by mycroft
    coke sorting, business ruining, alcoholic, convicted felon, C average, draft dodging

I have not and will not get a chance to see the film for another few weeks, I am aware of the business running, coke cnorting, alcoholic, C average and draft dodging, but when was he convicted of a felony ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

That is the same kind of attitude that existed in Ireland pre-scandal years.
    Its the same attitude that allowed Charlie Haughey "STEAL" hard earned tax moneies from the citizens of this country.
    It is the attitude that defines what is wonrg with Ireland.

"Ah, sure feck it anyway"

Originally posted by por
    I'd imagine if they were 'tearing Afghanistan apart looking for the dodgy-kidneyed one...' people whould be complaining about that too.

:rolleyes: People complaining about Bin Laden being hunted? Now who's going to do that?

Originally posted by por

Only because Bush gave Bin Laden a two month head start and anyone with half a brain cell would realise hes long since gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

but when was he convicted of a felony ?.

Wasn't actually convicted of a felony, sorry spock got me caught up in my retoric, two misdemenors in the 80s however for DUI

Incidently I've figured out why I don't like Bush, (aside from that smug grin during press conferences)

We're talking about a man who has never once had to take responsibility for any of his actions.

Doesn't get the grades he wants to get into college, no bother dad sorts him out.

Needs to avoid national service, dad sorts him out.

Decides, eventually, to get into the family business, oil, and fails, Dad sorts him out.

Decides to run a baseball team, Dad fixes it.

Daddy suggests he runs for office, and buys him the governship of Texas.

Is told to run for President, is surrounded by the kind of people who were running Nixons whitehouse while he was lighting his farts in a frathouse in Yale.

That all being said I think it's fair to say, Spock is a troll, he hasn't said anything since this thread started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ALLGOOD

Look people, it doesn't matter who the prez of USA is, American foreign policy will always remain the same, the only difference is what type of a PR slant each administration puts on things. What everybody fails to notice is that the foreign policy was the exact same under Clinton as it is under Bush, just Bush doesn't care how the world sees him, or his administration.

Remember the peace deals that tramp Clinton had running in the mid east - ALL COSMETIC short term feel good factor ****e that ignored the reasons for the conflict in the first place but the world loved him for it.

The USA isn't perfect but its better than Nazi Germany !

Decides, eventually, to get into the family business, oil, and fails, Dad sorts him out.

Saudis bailed him out, not his daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

give bush a break? fcuk that ****!, Bush is the most powerful man in the world at the momen and is dangerous, i don't think we should be giving him a break. He has the whole of america brainwashed, don't let it happen here.... them poor people :(

by the way check out this article. A prime example of how bad things are getting - http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13150395,00.html

the end is interesting...

"Offenders are tagged with a tracking device which is monitored from space. If they stray into forbidden "exclusion zone" areas, such as near a school or near a victim's house, an alarm will alert controllers who can contact police. "

• Advertisement

The USA isn't perfect but its better than Nazi Germany !

And for that, i now invoke Godwins Law and decree that you be quiet....

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Only because Bush gave Bin Laden a two month head start and anyone with half a brain cell would realise hes long since gone.

And if he had gone in all guns blazing on Sept 12th 2001 the world would be up in arms and accusing the USA of rash decisions and not exploring the evidence of who was responsible etc etc .

Originally posted by por
    And if he had gone in all guns blazing on Sept 12th 2001 the world would be up in arms and accusing the USA of rash decisions and not exploring the evidence of who was responsible etc etc .

It wasn't that long after they made the decisions- 2 months isn't long, but that was just to the public, they had them made prior the to sept 11th attack. They knew it was going to happen and the made sure it would happen

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    It wasn't that long after they made the decisions- 2 months isn't long, but that was just to the public, they had them made prior the to sept 11th attack. They knew it was going to happen and the made sure it would happen

Interesting, can you provide some links etc to back this up, or is it just your opinion ?

Wasn't actually convicted of a felony, sorry spock got me caught up in my retoric...

There was an talk of a coke possession felony in the early 70s which was brushed under the carpet by daddy, but as there doesn't seem to be anything definite about it anywhere I won't say any more about it. The Bushies would jump on it as Dubya-bashing.

Originally posted by grumpytrousers
    And for that, i now invoke Godwins Law and decree that you be quiet....

You should have read the whole FAQ yourself:
    5. What should I do if somebody else invokes Godwin's Law?

The obvious response is to call them on it, say "thread's over",
    and declare victory. This is also one of the stupidest possible responses,
    because it involves believing far too much in the power of a few rules that
    don't say exactly what you wish they said anyway. The proper response to
    an invocation is probably to simply followup with a message saying "Oh.
    I'm a Nazi? Sure. Bye" and leave, and in most cases even that much of a
    post is unnecessary.

I've compared the US and 1930s Germany with some examples in another post on here somewhere - and nobody offered any rebuttals...

Yes intel. prior to 9/11 warned of a possible attack, but that is a long way from saying that the admin. was aware of what exactly was going to happen and did not bother preventing it.

If there was intel. that a group was to target Dublin some time in the next few weeks would you expect teh city to be shut down as a result ?.

Well wouldn't security be tightened.....A few planes were flying around washonton in no fly zones for i think it was 40 minutes? and these planes had remote control capabilities, so they could be being brought down no problem....why were they left roam the skys for 40 minutes? until finally flying into the towers

• Advertisement

You should have read the whole FAQ yourself:

You're right, Chipzilla, indeed I should have. hoist on my own petard...

However, as I'm not taking part in the argument per se, (more observing from the sideline) I didn't feel that I could declare my particular side of the argument to be won or lost.

I suppose my main contention is that a line like 'The USA..... is better than Nazi Germany' is a complete and utter non-sequiter, and if that's one of anybodys reasons for Giving Bush a Chance, then maybe it would be better for them to think on a bit....

Candy Floss is also better than Nazi Germany. As is An End To Hunger. I should hope that the next Polyphonic Spree album will also (in its own little way) be better than Nazi Germany

Advertisement