Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox voltage mod?

Options
  • 08-07-2004 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Hey yo,
    Ok, I've got a Canadian Xbox here, but I don't wanna fry it with Irish voltage, so is there any way to get around this... maybe a voltage switch inside like there is on the back of a PSU... or some adaptor I can get?

Thanks tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Can you not just use a regular transformer between it and the mains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hmm, well it doesn't use a transformer from the mains, it just takes the full voltage all the way into the xbox and it gets converted inside to whatever it needs.
    It's just like a standard lead like you'd find on your CD player... hmmm.
    So really if I'm to do that I'd want to be converting it from 240volts to ~110 or whatever... dunno if I can do that, can I? :confused:

Actually I found one of these adaptors, wasn't sure if they existed!
    Wahoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

how mucha re they? might be cheaper to get an xbox 220v psu and swap it out

Erm, like €30.
    How much are these PSUs?

• Advertisement

about 25 - 30euro. there are 2 versions of power supply though. sometimes they end up a little cheaper on ebay depending on what people charge for postage. tbh you might aswell get it moded otherwise you'll have to import north american games all the time. i've definately a spare v1.2+ psu(the newer type) i'd have to check for the older type. drop me a pm if you're interested i'm in clonskeagh.

Yeah I'm thinking with exchange rates and what not, importing them mightn't be such a bad idea.

looking on ebay uk - a few buy it now for 9.99 with uk postage of 4.99 so you'll come out at 22 euro or so provided they don't attempt to jack up the postal price...

you'll need 2 torx screwdrivers to open the xbox - i use a t15 and a t10. there's a good tutorial about it here:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/open1.php

once you've it open and take out the hard drive/dvd you'll be able to see which version of psu you need.

take a look at this page for which versions - you're only interested in if it's a v1.(1) or v1.2+

http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions_2.php

Nige

I'm already sorted out with a step-down converter thanks, works fine. :cool:

Advertisement