Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst Car Design Thread!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Anyone for some rust?....

panda.jpg

Things I particularly despise about this car:

1. The door handles
    2. The crappy single wiper
    3. The dodgiest looking door mirrors
    4. ...Eh...the whole shape of the car!!

Then Fiat think to themselves, "hey, let's bring the Panda back out again, cause that was good car!" :D

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

mazda 121

wanted to barf every time i saw one

12824.jpg

and then kill the person driving it

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Ford Probe - what a disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Originally posted by mike65
    Something our american friends in Arizona etc still bounce around in

Sometimes living in a rust free environment is'nt such a good thing :)

Spot the headlights (or the good taste!)

Mike.
    These old American cars are far better than any of the modern Euro-box cars. I don't understand why such a large number of people on this side of the Big Pond seem to dislike them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They're big fat and stupid! I tend to react badly on two seperate grounds A) they consume vast amounts of everything to little effect - such cars are slow, ineffecient, ponderous, often not well built. And B) Just ugly for the most part.

As for euroboxes, many are not great but you can at least steer your way out of trouble in one! :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by DukeDredd
    Ford Probe - what a disaster!

not to sure on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

And the funny thing is that the Panda was designed by Pinnafarina who claimed it to be his favourite design !

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    And the funny thing is that the Panda was designed by Pinnafarina who claimed it to be his favourite design !

Prolly cos it could cope with Italian traffic jams!

edit> while googling Pininfriana I found this -
    http://www.landcrab.net/mainframes/main_pinafarina1800.htm

to think what could have been.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Ugly car design and bad car design are not necessarily the same thing. A car can be considered ugly by a lot of people but still be a good vehicle underneath or have some redeeming features Example the Ford Scorpio. For this reason I wouldn't class the Scorpio, FIAT Panda, Multipla, R12 etc. as being the "worst design ever"

One car that I regard as a bad design is the VW Golf Mk3. This thing looks like a bloated slug and drives like one too with stodgy handling and poor ride. It's also dog slow when fitted with a 1.4 or 1.6 engine. It's boring as hell, seats are hard, equipment is stingy, reliability is nothing to write home about. Its great reputation for reliability is mainly due to clever marketing and hype. It has a great image - among people who know nothing about cars. Its only virtues are a solid feel and good safety. But overall, the car was a piss-poor effort by VW.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by giftgrub
    mazda 121

wanted to barf every time i saw one

Yeah had the same reaction to that one giftgrub, some more recent mazda models are almost as bad (3rd generation 323F, Demios, etc) :(

Just as well the company was saved by the FMC, who seem to get a lot of things right recently
    Originally posted by PBC_1966
    These old American cars are far better than any of the modern Euro-box cars. I don't understand why such a large number of people on this side of the Big Pond seem to dislike them.

Better in what way? Sure there is something to say for the old US adage of "there's no substitute for cubic inches" in combination of some of the tried and tested big V8's provided "gas" is cheap ;)

Had a rental Chrysler Sebring Convertible on a business trip to Florida a few years ago and it was a nice looking car with all mod cons and a fat 2.7 liter V6, but wobblethewobble it went, like an egg cooked for about 30 seconds or a chunk of jelly :)

Mind that's irrelevant @65mph on a 100 mile straight stretch of interstate with cruise control engaged :D

• Advertisement

I'll concede that the new models aren't often much to talk about. I remember I had a little Pontiac Sunbird on rental for a while back in about '95 and wasn't at all impressed, but then that particular car is very European-ized. And the late-model engines are pretty lacking in power compared to their earlier counterparts due to the ever-increasing emissions requirements.

But if we're going back to the cars of 30-ish years ago, there's no comparison (on the whole -- I'll ignore disasters like the Ford Pinto). Big engines that run smoothly, nice designs, and 2 tons of Detroit metalwork around you instead of the two sheets of kitchen foil stuck together that seems to form the bodywork of most modern Euro cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

wagon-r.jpg

suzuki wagon R (what the F**ks the "R" for? - methinks gives small sense of hope 2 buyer that it doesn't drive like a fridge/freezer on wheels!)

fupping awful! (is it better than walking - debateable)

also the boot is about the size of your average suitcase long side up!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any MPV!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

being in new york last year, 90% of all their cars are woeful looking

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

In the name of the Great American Land Barge, I present the 1958 Edsel Citation:

e58cit4h.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Haha the Edsel - didn't it nearly bring the FMC to its knees?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Dunno about that, but it must have brought the world's chrome supply to it's knees....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I think it's Fu**ing SWEET

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Just about all the american designed cars look like crap. Chrysler, Chevy, Oldsmobile, Buick, Dodge, GMC, all SUV's etc. There are a few exceptions, kinda like the Sebring as well myself, the Olds Alero isn't too bad either. Dodge has this monstrosity for sale now the Dodge Magnum that I have seen on the TV that I would like to submit as a worst design.

• Advertisement

disagree!
    then again my father has the new megane.....(big snout as well)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by unkel
    Haha the Edsel - didn't it nearly bring the FMC to its knees?
    Legend has it that only one was ever stolen - and it was recovered later.

The Edsel didn't sell anything like as well as expected, and was discontinued after 3 or 4 years. It's generally looked upon in America as one of the biggest advertising flops of all time.

But the Edsel has the last laugh. They are highly sought-after collector's cars these days, especially the 1958 models (first year of production, as pictured above).

The Edsel provided the best joke in a movie too, the time travel comedy "Peggy Sue Got Married"

peggy10.jpg

"You bought an Edsel?????!!" :D

Mike.

It's also referred to in one of Bob Newhart's sketches of the early 1960s, "Ledge Pyschology."

Cop goes out on a high ledge to talk a prospective jumper out ot it and asks if he's in advertising, saying we get a lot of advertising people out here.

"There's one over on the other corner of the building right now..... No, I didn't get his name... I think he said he had the Edsel account." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

The Edsel wasnt really a BAD car; as one description i read summed it up nicely

"it was ugly and it had a stupid name"

Dont forget the FMC boys bounced back from that with the most successful, fastest selling car of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

the lexus sc430 is 1 pig ugly car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

BMW%20Z3%20Coupe.jpg

the horrible z3 coupe, somewhat similar to the forthcoming 1 series in looks, i.e. expensively disgusting.

Advertisement