Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ports blocked with Eircom BB?

• 08-07-2004 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm using Eircom BB and there's a piece of software in work that requires certain ports to be open to receive data (when accessed using the external IP). I have NIS installed, but even when I disable NIS, these ports cannot be accessed. How can I enable these ports or check if they are enabled? (I can't remember the ports off hand)
    This is on a Windows 2000 Pro machine.
    The BB modem is a Netopia Cayman.
    Is there a built in firewall on this modem that could be blocking it?

Any help would be great,

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I have just been looking at the 'pinhole' config on the netopia box. Would this do the job?

Thanks,

DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭plastic_axe

yes that will work

opened posts for torrents myself

Cheers for the reply plastic axe. I'm looking to enable the ports for 'PC anywhere' so that it will work on Eircom BB. I found this on how to configure it for the Netopia modem:-

http://www.netopia.com/en-us/equipment/tech/c_faq.html#ph_no_5

A few questions, if anyone knows: -
    Is this all that is required?
    Has anyone done this before?
    Does it matter if the BB is connected to a switch? (as long as I specify the correct LAN IP of the machine I want to run PC anywhere on)

Cheers,

DC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

No it doesn't matter that it's connected to a switch. Yes setting up a pinhole is all you need to forward ports. Once you know what ports PC Anywhere needs you're sorted.
    Not sure if you know this but RealVNC is a freeware piece of software that does the same thing as PC Anywhere, though I don't think it has all the dialing stuff. Much easier to configure and use ;)...

Cheers,
    Yeah I've used VNC before...might be a good alternative if the PC anywhere doesn't work!

Thanks,

DC.

• Advertisement

One more thing @ Zenith74

Does realVNC require any ports to be enabled for the broadband? (is it just 5900 it needs?)

Cheers,

DC.

This'll do it for RealVNC -
    VNCPinhole.JPG

Just checked and the Netopia actually has some port forwarding options built in for PCAnywhere - Go to Expert Mode, Configure, Advanced, Software Hosting, Services tab. Up the to you'll see 'Select a User(PC) to Host Games and Services:', select your PC in there. Then scroll down the list to PCAnywhere and click the Add button. Now just Save & Restart the box (click the yellow exclamation triangle in the top right corner)...

I'll give that a try Zenith74,

Thanks for the all the help!

DC.

Advertisement