Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal age for marriage

• 26-05-2001 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

OK, to move the topic from the humour board

Tell me if I'm wrong aren't the legal ages for marriage 16 for 'females' and 17 for 'males', with parental consent and 21 without parental consent?

This is the only link I could find:

http://193.120.124.98/ZZA30Y1972S1.html

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 26-05-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

With a bit of Search.

Family Law Act 1995: raised the minimum age for marriage to 18 and required 3 months' written notice to local registrar, abolished petitions for jactitation of marriage (falsely claiming to be married to someone), provided for declarations of marital status, and ancillary orders after judicial separation or foreign divorce.

The actual law, nicely formatted:
    http://www.bailii.org/ie/legis/num_act/fla1995114/

See Section 31
    http://www.bailii.org/ie/legis/num_act/fla1995114/s31.html

In section 33 it seems to have some allowances however it doens't look like age is one of them.

Also a link to the Catholic World News website, which was the first I came accross incidentally (o:
    http://www.cwnews.com/browse/1996/05/471.htm

Hope that helps,

- Kevin

[This message has been edited by p (edited 26-05-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Victor:

Tell me if I'm wrong aren't the legal ages for marriage 16 for 'females' and 17 for 'males', with parental consent and 21 without parental consent?
    </font>

You're wrong.

"p" answered it already, but I have to add that what you've said above would be sexual discrimination on the part of the state, and would be an illegal practise because of that.

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    Used to be the case that you had to be 16 to use condoms, 17 to have sex, and 18 to get married. </font>

Fine the law has changed, you had indicated 'used to be'. Can I suggest this 'used to be' period was quite short, if at all. Refer below the age for purchasing condoms appears to be 17 (not 16 as you state) and I don't think it was ever lower (not in 'holy' Ireland anyway).

So when was this 'used to be period'?

HEALTH (FAMILY PLANNING) (AMENDMENT) ACT, 1992 SECTION 4
    1992 number 20

SECTION 4 Control of sale and supply of ontraceptives.

4.-(1) Subject to sections 5 and 6 of this Act, a person shall not sell contraceptives unless-

<snip>

( b ) (i) (I) (ii) the person to whom the contraceptives are sold is over the age of 17 years or married or is named in a prescription or authorisation in writing for the contraceptives of a registered medical practitioner... <snip>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"p" answered it already, but I have to add that what you've said above would be sexual discrimination on the part of the state, and would be an illegal practise because of that.</font>

Now where does the state treat men and women differently?

Employment law has specific additional protection for women that it doesn't for men (e.g. working in mines, heavy manual labour, work with certain chemicals).

The state has rightly protected employment rights in relation to pregnancy, but not paternity.

Laws on public indecency only exist against men (not that I support there not being such laws at all).

The State has done F*** all in relation to sexual (and other) discrimination in, in particular:

1...Engineering and transport,

2...Construction,

3...Politics,

4...representation in Middle & Higher Management,

5...representation in general employment - women still do the child-rearing and earn substatially less then men, measured both on an hourly basis and a life-time basis,

For many years the state enforced retirement for women from many employment sectors on marriage, deepening women's traditional economic and social dependence on men. It will take another 20-40 years for current standards of 'equality' to be approach being 'universal'. Think of all those women (hundreds of thousands) who are only to receive proper state pensions from now on.

The State has practically had to be dragged kicking and screaming in updating equality laws and others that affect gender.

Hey, even recent equality legislation enshines state discrimination as permissable.

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 27-05-2001).]

Advertisement