Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harry Rednapp to Liverpools Rescue!

• 08-07-2004 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=14405054%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=pompey-target-reds-pair-name_page.html
    HARRY REDKNAPP is lining up a double swoop for Liverpool duo El-Hadji Diouf and Salif Diao.

The Portsmouth boss wants to take the Senegalese players on a season-long loan. It is understood the south coast club have already contacted the Reds about their availability.

The pair have been a major disappointment for Kopites, failing to recapture their sparking displays at the 2002 World Cup.

Diouf (right) and Diao were signed by Gerard Houllier two years ago, but both have struggled to settle at Anfield.

Diouf, 23, has failed to live up to his £10m price tag. He has made just over 60 starts in a Liverpool shirt, mainly on the right wing, yet has found the net on just six occasions.

Last season he failed to score in the 33 games he played.

Pompey need a new striker after failing to secure Newcastle hitman Lomano Lua Lua. They see Diouf as an ideal replacement, although they fear his wages may scupper any deal.

His fellow counryman Diao, 27, cost £5m from French club Sedan, yet has barely figured for the Liverpool first team, after being dogged by injury.

Redknapp has to find a defensive midfielder after Russia captain Alexei Smertin returned to Chelsea after an impressive loan spell. The Portsmouth boss believes powerfully built Diao will fit the bill.

However, it is not yet clear whether new Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez will want to assess all his players before deciding on their fate.

Okay its only a loan but with any luck they'll both go for good.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i wonder how much he is getting in buks for this. your ever see the amount of players he buys and sells at any club he manages. its huge.

Broken dreams is a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If 'arry was'nt in football he'd be a market stall trader!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by mike65

Mike.

LMAO ....

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Loaning out players is a funny old business. Chelsea, for example, should have kept Forssell after Christmas, and should have made sure they got rid of Veron permanently. :dunno:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Yea but if you loan out a player on 20k a week thats a saving of over 1 million a year,I am not sure what they are on but I would say its more than 20k a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by mike65

Mike.

He own a bookies that man keeps telling the lot from soccer Am who to bet on and he is nearly always right .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Big Ears
    He own a bookies that man keeps telling the lot from soccer Am who to bet on and he is nearly always right .

when can i get these tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Harry is also a tight git. At the start of the last season he said to Yakubu that he would pay him £10,000(maybe more or maybe abit less) If he scored 20 goals or more. And on the last day of the season Yakubu score 2 goals i think(maybe a hat-trick) and he had 19 goals. After the match Harry said he had on known Yakubu been a goal away from 20 goals he would of took him off at half-time. He said he needed the money for a new player he heard about from a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend........who knows someone who might be able to play football. lol.(that last part is a lie) But it wouldnt surprise me if its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Abramovich doesn't need to sell and could probably loan out half of his squad and still afford to splash out millions on replacements.

Liverpool on the other hand need to recoup the money spent on the like of Diuf and Diao but with the market the way it is they wouldn't even get half of what they paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Three wheel van references aside Harry does have a reasonably decent record when it comes to buying/loaning players. It wouldn't surprise me if they suddenly started playing very well at Portsmouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pah! :(
    Diouf makes Reds pledge

Liverpool striker El Hadji Diouf has vowed to fight for a first-team place under new coach Rafael Benitez.

The Senegal forward has struggled to adapt to the Premiership since his £10m arrival from Lens two years ago.

"I have a contract with Liverpool and my objective is to stay here," Diouf told the Liverpool website.

"I left France to succeed in the Premiership and I have not yet done that. I want to demonstrate to Benitez I can serve a purpose for his project."

With Djbril Cisse now on board, in addition to Michael Owen and Milan Baros, Diouf's chances of a regular striking spot appear slim.

"There are teams that are interested in me but Liverpool have said nothing to me about it," he added.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ya never know he might stop breaking the Drinking curfew and then in protest of being left on the bench to go drinking again. Smooth El Hadji really smooth.

Advertisement