Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

fans of pearl jam........

• 08-07-2004 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

anyone into pearl jam, alice in Chains, soundgarden,mother love bone, mad season, screaming trees? and find it really hard to find other music fans with the same taste?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yeah I used to like em.
    Ten was a fantastic album but they have slipped since then.
    Great live band still though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

yes, ok, yes, yes, hmm, yes.

Temple of The Dog should be to your taste too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by MisterAnarchy
    Yeah I used to like em.

Slipped since Ten? Ten was their debut album ya know :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭princess penny

yeah totd, forgot that one!
    Jeez pearl jam slipping? awe dont think so! well obviously Im gonna say that cause Im a fan, maybe Binaural! Has anyone heard Lost Dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

yea i got lost dogs....beautiful.

although been listening more so to cd2.
    fatal real original pearl jam track. has to be heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 badbob

ten contained some of the most powerful songs i have ever heard live.
    Saw pearl jam sometime around 95, in the point, to this day the best ever gig i have been to, and also my first!
    i think they played here last year or the year before, but i missed that, nobody seems to listen to their stuff anymore, have to say , didnt really get with their later stuff tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah I love all the above mentioned bands, especially Pearl Jam. And yes I do find it hard to find people who like them too :dunno:

Wasn't their last gig over here in 2000 after the release of Binaural?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

alice in chains are one off the best bands of all time, The unplugged album is great I actually prefer they're acoustic stuff to their heavier stuff. Pearl jam and soundgarden are great too,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Pearl Jam... Yes! Soundgarden, yes, temple of the dog, yes, mother love bone... erm... I intend on hearing more of their stuff...

Pearl Jam have not slipped since Ten, they just moved away from grunge, and made something fresh every CD... I wonder how fresh Nirvana would sound if they were still going today...
    Binaural wasn't a great album tbh, but had some great tracks... it just didn't seem to gel as well as their others (I read a thing with Vedder saying they put the tracks together a different way for that album, which might explain it). Riot Act is a great album, and so is lost dogs, some really, really great stuff on it.... except maybe Gremmie...:D. I prefer the 1st CD, mind you... the 2nd has some great tracks too, but I dont listen to it as much for some reason...

Anyone else here get a copy of the limited edtion Benaroya LP? Can't wait for that to arrive...:D:D

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by flogen
    [B

Anyone else here get a copy of the limited edtion Benaroya LP? Can't wait for that to arrive...:D:D

flogen [/B]

Bast*rd!

An entire day spent trying to get on to the merch site, and each time it was down. Eventually got on, and it was sold out!!!

Like I said, bast*rd!

;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by badbob

Saw pearl jam sometime around 95, in the point, to this day the best ever gig i have been to, and also my first!
    i think they played here last year or the year before, but i missed that,

1996 and 2000.

Them's the years.

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Bast*rd!

An entire day spent trying to get on to the merch site, and each time it was down. Eventually got on, and it was sold out!!!

Like I said, bast*rd!

;)

I'm sorry!! tell ya what, I'll send you photos of me hugging it when it arrives...

thats bad... sorry again...:D

got to see them in 2000, btw. my first proper gig too... and still the best one, ever!

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by Buck Owens
    alice in chains are one off the best bands of all time, The unplugged album is great I actually prefer they're acoustic stuff to their heavier stuff. Pearl jam and soundgarden are great too,

true, I was lucky enough to see them live in March 1993

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

When you have such a class debut album like ten its always going to be hard to follow that up.

Ahh thats a suprise 17 replies! Yeah Lost Dogs is great, Otherside:) Gremmie isnt by Pj, so I guess they cant be totally crucified for it, but I think its funny, thats it!. I have the Alice In Chains acoustic show on video. Its great .I also have Facelift Live. Anyone have Live at the Garden? I dont yet! whoever said about Mother Love Bone, they only had one album, Andy Wood died and the band stopped. And the album ****ing rocks! So where do all you fans exist? Im from Co.Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Originally posted by MisterAnarchy
    Yeah I used to like em.

Ten I think is their worst

1 No Code
    2 Vitalogy
    3 Riot Act
    4 Yield
    5 Vs.
    6 Binaural
    7 Ten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Pearl Jam excellent band. I saw them live when they played backup to Neil Young in Slane, infact I went to see them. They were brilliant but I laughed when they came on. The organisers had the bright idea of putting them on after Van Morrison, so the front was full of flower power middled aged women and men who got trampled and crushed when Pearl Jam appeared :)

Favourite Pearl Jam song is Do the Evolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I haven't got riot act! When was this released and why haven't i heard about it, i am digusted with myself. :(

I love all of the above bands, and most people I know are amazed when i say i listen to these bands "but they are so early nineties".

Pearl jam has always been a favourite though, I think I was about twelve when I started playing air 'tennis racquet' guitar to rearview mirror. never looked back.

But i wonder how many of you have there single Last kiss? My brother brought it back from Australia to me, was never released over here and it's one of my favourite pearl jam songs, i love it.

Originally posted by gogo

But i wonder how many of you have there single Last kiss?

Me for one. ;)

Was to good to be true thinking I was the only one ;)
    Actually listening to it now and it damn good.

• Advertisement

well it is on Lost Dogs ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

I don't have the Last Kiss single, I've got it on the No Boundaries album (plus Lost Dogs)

They recorded Gremmie for the Music for our Mother Ocean album which was for the Surfrider Foundation, (don't like it much myself)

Now to be a complete anorak, have you heard Crazy Mary or Soldier of Love?

therecklessone, you can get it here, the LP box set is gone but the cd is still available,
    www.pearljam.com

I get REALLY ticked off when people say Ten was their best album.
    Undoubtedly it was a fantastic DEBUT album, but you couldn't seriously expect them to keep playing the same stuff for 15years. They grew as people and therefore changed as musicians, I love how they are willing to experiment. How bored would we all be if they didn't??

Originally posted by Shewhomustbe...

therecklessone, you can get it here, the LP box set is gone but the cd is still available,
    www.pearljam.com

Yeah, I did order it. Still pis*ed off the LP was sold out when the merch site finally loaded for me. Two e-mails later and no, they won't be re-pressing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Every band you mentioned I have all or most of their cds. MotherLove Bone were really good. I find it hard to muster up anyones interest in them, or Green River. You are the 1st person I have heard mention them since 1992ish.

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Yeah, I did order it. Still pis*ed off the LP was sold out when the merch site finally loaded for me. Two e-mails later and no, they won't be re-pressing it.

you could always ebay for it... at the moment they're expensive enough, but I'd expect them to drop in price around August, as they should be delivered by then and theres more chance of people selling them on. (at the moment, average price is over $200)

I cant wait for mine... nearly a month to go...:S

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Conorisco

i was wondering lost in the relm of music loving all types, until i found pearl jam. Every other band i got into were cool at the start but then got boring, i have all pJ's albums and i love them more and more every day.
    Ten was great but not near there best. for me it goes:

1. NO CODE- my fave album of all time lies down in bed half asleep and listen to this by the time Around the Bend comes on you will just feel so happy and know how beutiful the world is. Best songs Off he goes, up in my tree and lukin

2 - Yeild return to the roots with real good hard rock has to be listened to loud Faithfull, do the evolution and wishlist class

3. Vitalogy - wicked album grungy and angry and some amazing lyrics and sing alongs. Corduroy better man and immortality

4 Vs really cool album so very good. Powerfull and political, sweet and hearth breaking. Indifference rearviewmirror and of course Daughter

5 Merkinball - just two songs prob the finest they have The long road and I've Got **** recorded with Neil Young

6 Ten weak compared to the later offerings but still savage, the most powerful songs anthums many of them Jeremy Evenflow alive and Black (most beautiful lyrics i know)

7 lost dogs very good some songs how did they not make them on the albums like i mean there best song and my fave Yellow Ledbetter. many others would be higher but there are some true B sides here

8 Roit Act i really like this album now its grungy and hardExperimental but it works

9 Binaural not that fantastic now i have tpo make my self like it, it doesn't seam to flow but still brilliant songs.

As you can tell i'm quite the fan i need to meet more fans lol i'm from laois. Ive never been to a concert i would give so much to hear Yellow ledbetter and rocking in the free world live. i'll keep an eye on this thread

Originally posted by Shewhomustbe...
    I don't have the Last Kiss single, I've got it on the No Boundaries album (plus Lost Dogs)

Now to be a complete anorak, have you heard Crazy Mary or Soldier of Love?

Soldier of Love is the second song on the last kiss single and i really like it. Tis good.

]Originally posted by Conorisco...
    As you can tell i'm quite the fan i need to meet more fans lol i'm from laois

I'm from laois and it seems to me that half the population of it is in to some kind of good music, you just have to go to portlaoise shopping centre on a saturday morning and check out the t-shirts on the large crowds of pre pubesent boys that will bump into you if you stand still for long enough (about half a minute should cover it).
    Aside from irish music the only other dedicated stand that Trax music shop has is for rock/metal so they must be doing a good trade in it. Loads of fans in laois.

Laois is really a sad and scary place - don't ever visit. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

great... a pearl jam thread... i love pearl jam, they are such a quality band.

ive a great acoustic version of indifference with ben harper.. not the one from the dvd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

I have found that the live versions of most of Pearl Jams songs are much better than the album versions, they improvise and add extra lyrics/riffs etc...

I saw them live in Wuhlheide, Berlin in 2000 - best gig I have ever been at. It was open air, there was this amazing fork lightning all night in the distance and the atmosphere was electric....

Riot Act and Lost Dogs are both fantastic albums, and Pearl Jam are still one of the most original and talented rock bands working today...

A lot of Pearl Jams bootlegs and covers can be easily found on the net, legitimately, Pearl Jam have always encouraged the sharing of bootlegs and recordings, they are one of the few (only?) major rock bands in the world that allow people to record their live concerts and freely distribuite the recordings. Have a look at the following sites:

http://www.fivehorizons.com

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/

BTW I highly recommend Single Video Theory its a beautifully shot music video/documentary based around the recording of Yield...
    "It's about incest; and it's about murder; and you know all those good things. And if you can picture it in your mind, the third song takes place in a jail cell. So this is our own little mini-opera here." --EV, 6/18/92

Yes, I am a huge Pearl Jam fan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I listen to Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Sound Garden and Temple of the dog. These bands write amazing Lyrics!! I'm from Cork, don't know any other fans of these bands besides my friends. I would of love to have seen any of these bands live!

~Sarah~

Advertisement