Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

fans of pearl jam........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by RebelRockChick
    I listen to Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Sound Garden and Temple of the dog. These bands write amazing Lyrics!! I'm from Cork, don't know any other fans of these bands besides my friends. I would of love to have seen any of these bands live!

~Sarah~

While the last three no longer exist in any shape or form, you could still get the chance to see Pearl Jam live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Down in a hole

The bands mentioned along the lines of Pearl Jam,NIRVANA,Alice in Chains.Mad Season and Temple Of The Dog produced some of the best music in the course of the early 90's.The real tradegy is that new bands like Linkin Park and Funeral For A Friend is that people identify crap nu metal with men like Eddie Vedder and Layne Staley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭princess penny

Originally posted by Down in a hole
    The bands mentioned along the lines of Pearl Jam,NIRVANA,Alice in Chains.Mad Season and Temple Of The Dog produced some of the best music in the course of the early 90's.The real tradegy is that new bands like Linkin Park and Funeral For A Friend is that people identify crap nu metal with men like Eddie Vedder and Layne Staley.

I hadnt really noticed that to be honest, I got the opinion that the likes of Rage against the machine were being labelled as crap ass nu metal when thats not even possible. But yeah they class Nickelback and Puddle of Mud as nu metal dont they? and they in turn try to make their music grungie, which doesnt work obviously. Actually Puddle .... do a cover of AIC's Brother and claim they were their big inspiration. you'd wonder then why they dwindle and associate with pop or mainstream manufactured babble! I dont think their incompetency could ever cast a shadow of doubt or anything on artists like Layne and Eddie for me anyway, but yeah it pisses me off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭anothervictim

do the evolution is probably the best song i'd say ;) i think last kiss is a cover - tho i don't know who its by... Also, i heard of this other album called 'covering them ' were they did stuff like 'crazy mary' and 'baba o reilly' ; has anyone else heard of this?

do the evolution is probably the best song i'd say ;) i think last kiss is a cover - tho i don't know who its by... Also, i heard of this other album called 'covering them ' were they did stuff like 'crazy mary' and 'baba o reilly' ; has anyone else heard of this?

some really good covers can be downloaded from this PJ FAN SITE..

[url]HTTP://WWW.FIVEHORIZONS.COM[/url]

Here is the story behind Last Kiss..

http://www.jimbowieband.com/Lyrics/last_kiss.htm

originally released as a fan-club-only single, demand from fans and radio programmers resulted in the nationwide release of "Last Kiss," and it eventually became the band's highest-charting pop hit to date, peaking at number two and going gold.

I really know too much about this band :confused:

• Advertisement

2+2=5 wrote:
    great... a pearl jam thread... i love pearl jam, they are such a quality band.

ive a great acoustic version of indifference with ben harper.. not the one from the dvd

Yeah Ben Harper is cool too. He plays on Live at the Garden with them, I think. My friend from England saw him recently and he played indifference at his show. The guy has taste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

anyone into pearl jam, alice in Chains, soundgarden,mother love bone, mad season, screaming trees? and find it really hard to find other music fans with the same taste?

Princess Penny I am in love with u for starting a PJ thread......

I have a lot to owe Eddie Vedder and Co.
    Songs like Nothingman, Black, Off He Goes, Evenflow, Sleight of Hand, Thumbing my Way are held very very close to my heart. Ever moment in this crappy little life i call mine has some link with Pearl Jam - Love Life Happiness (!) Death Sadness even drinking
    What can i say about them......
    I missed them in 96 and 00 due to stupid reasons and am biting my nails for the next even near miss!
    PEARL JAM u rock!
    All time Fav. PJ song: BLACK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Bunnyefey

Pearl Jam and Mother Love Bone always hit a special chord with me. Brought me through my teens screaming and made me the person I am today. But today, I love grunge even more than back then if its possible :D

I recommend that if you haven't seen it yet, that you check out the film "Singles" It has an amazing grungey soundtrack and some of our grunge gods have cool cameos in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I have the soundtrack to that film but I've yet to see it. Soundtrack does rock though.

Creature wrote:
    I have the soundtrack to that film but I've yet to see it. Soundtrack does rock though.

Agreed! Soundgarden, birth ritual...classy song

• Advertisement

Agreed! Soundgarden, birth ritual...classy song

Don't forget State of Love and Trust by Pearl Jam.

Currently listening to Live at Benaroya hall........WOW!

Is there any talk of PJ coming to Europe on tour, I have checked all the usual net haunts for this kind of gossip and I can't find anything definite :( Anybody know anything I don't know?

I'd say they'll do a tour of Europe when they release the next album. They didn't cover Europe when they toured for Riot Act so I'd be certain they'll come here when the next album is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

I can remember studying for my 1st year exams listening to Bad Motor Finger by Sound Garden and i still listen to d same CD by the way that was 9 years ago. Damn i feel old.

And by the way. Think No Code is the best Pearl Jam album ever, but that was the first Pearl jam CD i got but Ten would be a close second

Think il go home and listen to Bad Motor Finger in a min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Cindy Love

Alice in Chains where incredible.Such a powerful and emotional band they where the real deal i mean i might sound auld (for 23)but they werent 1 bit manufactured which is poignant compared to the 'rock' music that would follow their demise....pity but tis the way life goes.Guess we just gotta hang around for the next great rock group!!

I love Pearl Jam but particulary the album Ten.Its aged quite well particularly when u compare it to other music that came out at the same time. Some of the tracks of the later albums are really sentimental too-they had such a good combo between hard edged rock and sentiment..,Think they lost there way a little though!

Did Layne Stayley die the same age as Kurt Cobain.?(by the way some of you may be interested to know the same director of ELEPHANT is directing the new movie about the final days of kurts ,tis bound to be controversial!!

http://www.freewebs.com/discordband/index.htm

Cindy Love wrote:
    Did Layne Stayley die the same age as Kurt Cobain.?

Kurt died on April 5th, 1994 at the age of 27. Layne died on April 5th, 2002 at the age of 34, exactly 8 years after Kurt.

The hidden track on the Pearl Jam album, Lost Dogs, is a tribute by Eddie Vedder to Layne, entitled "4-20-02" it is a song that Eddie recorded almost immediately upon hearing of the death of the late great Layne Staley.

May they both RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stung

This post seems to just keep going - so here's some more fuel to the fire.

Favourite PJ & AIC songs:

PJ - Black
    AIC - Would?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 squeezeboxwho

Yes I love Pearl Jam too......lol and I like most the bands you listed like Soundgarden and Screaming Trees. I also like Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots and Temple Of the Dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭verdidnt

All Pearl Jam fans should get the Live at the Garden DVD. It's bloody excellent. It's shot really well, no gimmicks. Just raw footage of the band onstage and loads of extras. Ben Harper sings indifference with the band, it's class.

I think Ten is their best album. I think over the years they have become more of a traditional rock band. Saw them in the point both times they played here. Will never forget their opener at the first gig - 'Release'. The point was covered in red and purple lights and the crowd sang back overpowering the PA. Ahh them were the days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Shoolaboola

ooooh i LOVE pearljam! i only have "ten" though....most people you mention pearljam to are all like "grun grunt....don't you mean britney?"
    ugh.....so many skangers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bertiebowl

The first CD I ever got was 10 by PJ. Amazingly it was 12 years ago, and I still play 10 in the car nice and loud any chance I get.

The album has aged fantastically, with Eddie Vedder's wounded bear singing as powerful as ever. The lyrics to Black show pain to the soul like no other song I've come across.

As for AIC again they were a fantastic band. Never as rounded as PJ some of their songs could be piss poor, but the good 'uns more than made up for it. What made AIC special was their emotional range. Their songs displayed every kind of feeling from total drug induced nihilism to "Brother" on the unplugged album - possibly the most emphathic song I've heard.

The Screaming Trees (which ain't been mentioned to date) were another cracker of a band. Kind of blues mixed with grunge and a super vocalist Mark Lonergan. Well worth checking out.

As for Soundgarden - I had the albums but they never really did much for me. I always found them a little - well a little manufactured or something.

BUT BUT BUT - nobody has seriously mentioned the Stone Temple Pilots. The LA based rockers were great in the day (kinda fell apart toward the end)

Good to see there's folks out there who like good music.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Shoolaboola

i havent a clue what any of the songs are called, my one is burned...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

:rolleyes:

ooooh i LOVE pearljam! i only have "ten" though....

Get thee to a record store now!

How the hell can you claim to LOVE Pearl Jam if you only have one album
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

pearljam are deadly. i hate ye olde record stores

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Shoolaboola, you've got to be taking the p*ss.
    ooooh i LOVE pearljam! i only have "ten" though....most people you mention pearljam to are all like "grun grunt....don't you mean britney?"

The band's been around the best part of FIFTEEN (15) years, you have their debut, and you don't even have the common courtesy to have an original. My collection has two copies of ten alone (one autographed by the entire band circa '93 and an import)

You are the kind of "fan" who makes my blood boil. :mad: :mad:
    Bet you're a Nevermind Nirvana fan as well.

This band has always cared for and worked their asses off for their fans, they took on ticketmaster for us. Dear God I want to slap the head off you.
    If you LOVE a band take interest in them, one album, still in shock.

Rozabeez, hate the record stores, buy direct, www.pearljam.com

neh, i may as well venture into a shop next week if im in town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Don't know if anyone's mentioned Paw yet, amazing band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Favourite PJ Song: Why Go...

[shameless self promotion]...which we do a rocking cover of, so come on down to our next gig and let all that anger out! [/shameless self promotion]

My favourite PJ album is still Ten, it's just so raw and angry, full of evergy. Most of them songs send a shiver up my spine...even Dirty Frank! :D

• Advertisement

grr, feel so mad right now......i now a niall in a band who loves PJ and we're not the "best of friends" right now....
    yarr....
    ah sure i won't let that effect wether im nice to you or not ;)

Advertisement