Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

fans of pearl jam........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Absolutely huge fan, pretty much my main obsession in life!! Is it the ape/man tattoo by any chance?? The member you were missing is Matt Chamberlain, he was drummer around July/August '91, he is the man on the skins you see in the video for Alive and when he was leaving (he was really just a sessions drummer and has worked with loads of other groups on various things, he has even drummed for Christina Aguilera believe it or not!) he was the one who recomended Dave A. to the group. (Coincidently, Dave A. was in the crowd during the shooting of the Alive video at RKCNDY to get a feel for his new band because he had not heard much pearl jam before that, apart from listening to a few songs in a record store in Texas)

Have you got any collection going??

P.S Dave A. absolutely kicked ass, I love his drumming, co-wrote one of my favourite songs too, "Angel"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

anyone into pearl jam, alice in Chains, soundgarden,mother love bone, mad season, screaming trees? and find it really hard to find other music fans with the same taste?

I love all of those bands! i just got mad seasons live at the moore on video, ****ing legend. i love the way mark lanegan and layne staleys voice blended. can you imagine a vocal faceoff between Chris Cornell, Layne Stayley, Eddie Vedder and Mark Lanegan.... now that would be a performance!

Id say Cornell in his prime had one of the greatest voices ever, from what i have heard in the last while though it has gone a bit downhill, I heard some live audioslave and on some of the songs he isn't great at all and his performance of "Hunger Strike" on 28/10/03 is just terrible (still worth listening to though for the nostalgia!), Eddie V's voice has gone from strength to strength, albeit with a slight change to accustom himself with age (he doesnt quite have the rage/intensity of early PJ years) but is one of the greatest singers ever, still sounds unbelievable every show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭princess penny

ha yeah i thought i was the only one who noticed that decline in cornells vocals. years of singing so ****in high the guy is bound to run out :D vedder has definately changed too but i think i noticed that change earlier, i pretty much think that his vocals changed after ten. you can hear it on lost dogs aswell, the songs written at the time of ten sound way different (vocally) to the others.

its actually been a while since ive sat down and formulated or refreshed my opinions and observations on pj. but they are a ****in deadly band!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

Just because he tells a story (I have the boot) doesn't mean he likes Ireland any more than anywhere else. At every concert they tend to interact with the crowd, more often than not a lot more than they did at the Point. Dublin was also one of the weakest concerts they played on the European leg that year, never mind the whole two leg American tour, the nights either sides of that show were better, Milan, Katowice II, Portugal to name a few others.

And as for my point, even if they loved Ireland more than anywhere else on earth, they would seriously have to consider where they would play here because of the lack of appropriate all-seater venues. They would be very wary of playing a GA show. (Which isn't saying they won't come but casts a doubt)

So dont call me stupid because I obviously seem to know much more about this band than you ever will!!

haha are you for real?
    i think everyone knows how weak the dublin concert was, but that doesnt mean pearl jam dont love ireland... all bands have bad nights!
    oh, and what in your post shows you obviously knows much more about the band than i do??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ballsmahoney

Dave A is by far the coolest drummer Pearl Jam have had (my opinion
    of course).The drumming on unplugged is class,a master class if you will.
    Tattoo is not of the ape man.I bet if we stayed here for a thousand years
    no one would get it.Unless of course one of my mates came on and
    copped my username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Dave A is by far the coolest drummer Pearl Jam have had (my opinion
    of course).The drumming on unplugged is class,a master class if you will.
    Tattoo is not of the ape man.I bet if we stayed here for a thousand years
    no one would get it.Unless of course one of my mates came on and
    copped my username.
    Coolest drummer perhaps, best, eh, no way. His drumming on the unplugged is embarassing, he basically bashes everything at his disposal especially the symbols, dreadful. Cameron is the best drummer they could have hoped for.

I think the way I should have put it 2+2 is, you were calling me stupid when you are quite obviously a complete jackass, yet again just because they tell a story doesnt mean they automatically love Ireland, im sure they like it but they have told many a better story in other places, tellin a story doesnt mean feck all, I mean they told Holland when they played at Nighttown in Rotterdam in '92 that they all wanted to live there!
    And yet again to my point, if they dont play Ireland again it will be BECAUSE THERE MIGHTN'T BE A SUITABLE VENUE, nothing to do with if they love the country or not, they play safe since Roskilde or do you even know what happened there?

Anyway, Balls, I could keep guessing till the cows come home bout the tattoo and not get it!! At least you got something that is not as common as most other PJ tattoos, i will let you keep it a mystery unless you wanted to enlighten us!! OK last guess! Is it one of the Yield tattoos?? Ah, I give up!!

Matt Cameron is the business altogether, technically the best drummer the band has had, I dont think he sounded as good good on 2003 tour onwards with his new Yamaha set-up as he did up to then, he sounded way harder back then. Dave A. is still cool though, I love his drumming on Vs. and especially live at most times he was there, little sloppy sometimes ( lets face it He still kicked ass though, pity he wasn't Eddies favourite person!!). He was seriously in love with his symbals!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

yes! i listen to all these bands & they're just not given enough respect cos its not 'cool' now-bull****! and on top of being into grunge try being a GIRL so when ya do meet fans of these bands no one'll listen to ya! ok thats my rant over with!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Pearl Jam - What a fvcking band, quite simply the best ever. nothing has ever grabbed me in my life as much as they have - and i've never seen them live!

would it help you to know that off all the gigs I've been to (and that's a lot) the pearl jam gig in the point was without doubt one of the best I've evar seen! (metallica in the point being the other one worthy of a mention)

• Advertisement

I dont like that they're opening for the Stones after the canadian tour,they are bigger than that IMO. Its only one show and only because they want to do it, they haven't needed to open for anyone since their first tours (They did open for the Stones four times in Oakland in '97, it was a non-touring year for them). The other people supporting for other shows pale in comparison to PJ (Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5, The Tragically Hip...). They will be limited to a short set in front of very few people who will actually be there to see them. They'll prob be out for a song with the Stones though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Beruthiel wrote:
    would it help you to know that off all the gigs I've been to (and that's a lot) the pearl jam gig in the point was without doubt one of the best I've evar seen! (metallica in the point being the other one worthy of a mention)

heh, cheers beruthiel :o
    Am used to it at this point, had a number of heartbreaks where PJ are concerned. I got an ex and her friend into them years ago to a point. they were semi fans y'know, liked them and all but really didn't have the passion you encounter with most pj fans. but anyway stayed friends and stuff and they both went to boston for the summer the one before last. Low and behold I get an email from each saying they'd been to see them and that they were fantastic - taunting me! i was raging that these half fans got to see my beloved PJ - something id nearly kill for at this point! (not literally if any gardaí happen to be reading the thread!) Anyway to add insult to injury, heres a quote from the ex in the email "Yeah it was really good, i didn't know most of the songs they played though.." yes im a bitter bitter man but its just not fair :(

Sigh, Someday...someday

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kheed

pearl jam are the ****in best band ever. I travelled to australia to see them twice. 3 times in dublin and once in england. those other bands too are awesome, they jsut dont make em like they used to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

anyone into pearl jam, alice in Chains, soundgarden,mother love bone, mad season, screaming trees? and find it really hard to find other music fans with the same taste?

==>Grunge got a raw deal once the whole Brit-pop thing started.Anything with a slightly American sound was suddenly frowned upon.Although it did get a bit ridiculous when all these bands came along who went out of their way to look like seattle smack-heads.

They were great bands,lots of groups who were influenced by them try to cover up this fact- its more fashionable to say you were influenced by British acts such as The Stone Roses,Joy Division and Oasis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

all great bands. I disagree that PJ went into decline. they changed direction yep, but still a great band. just check out their last 2 live dvds.

also benaroyal hall is a great album as is lost dogs.

superunknown is one of my favourite albums. i remember when i bought it on tape, when it came out. I was getting out of the whole "metal" thing, and this was the first one I got. Had a great summer listening to it, good memories off that album. Like Suicide is a classic song.

I also like down on the upside and the final AIC album. AIC are/were a great band. I have an AIC related tattoo ...

Not cool now to say you were influenced by "grunge" bands, some of the music journos seem to scoff at these bands. f**k em!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Just listening to VS at the moment. Great album!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

BarryCreed wrote: »
    superunknown is one of my favourite albums. i remember when i bought it on tape, when it came out.

Same as. Spent a great summer in the States cycling around the place listening to that album on my walkman! Ah the memories...:pac:

Man, I cant ****in wait for monday week, flying out for the last 5 shows of the tour! (Possibly 6, gonna try and get a ticket for the charity show at the Beacon, prob wont happen though!)
    Anyone else from these boards making an appearance over there, I was talking to someone on the Pit a while back when tix came out who's on here but cant remember!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Holy old thread, Batman!

I feckin love Pearl Jam too, and I'm headin off this week to catch their two New York shows with lots of other Irish!!!

jenizzle wrote: »
    Holy old thread, Batman!

I feckin love Pearl Jam too, and I'm headin off this week to catch their two New York shows with lots of other Irish!!!

Good stuff, its looking like its gonna be legandary! Did you see the absolutely mind blowing setlist from Bonnaroo yesterday?
    Hard to Imagine opener, first ever playing of All Night, first time W.M.A has been played on its own since 95, first time Release has been played anywhere in the show apart from opener since 94! Crazy!
    I think we are in for something even more special at the Garden (*crosses finges and hopes*)

• Advertisement

14th June Bonnaroo Festival

Set 1 Hard To Imagine, Corduroy, All Night, Why Go, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Down, Who You Are, Severed Hand, 1/2 Full, Animal, Even Flow, Daughter, Gone, Love Reign O'er Me, Do The Evolution, Rearviewmirror

Encore 1 W.M.A., Better Man(Save it for Later), Black, Crazy Mary, Porch
    Encore 2 No More, Release, Alive
    Encore 3 All Along The Watchtower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Set 1 Hard To Imagine, Corduroy, All Night, Why Go, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Down, Who You Are, Severed Hand, 1/2 Full, Animal, Even Flow, Daughter, Gone, Love Reign O'er Me, Do The Evolution, Rearviewmirror

And yet again they show why they are ne hell of a great band live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Man, I cant ****in wait for monday week, flying out for the last 5 shows of the tour! (Possibly 6, gonna try and get a ticket for the charity show at the Beacon, prob wont happen though!)
    Anyone else from these boards making an appearance over there, I was talking to someone on the Pit a while back when tix came out who's on here but cant remember!
    Yep, that was me.

Heading over to New York on Thursday for the second Garden night. Cannot wait.

All Along The Watchtower! That would be amazing. I'd love to hear Footsteps as well, they don't play it very often though.

Timans wrote: »
    Yep, that was me.

Heading over to New York on Thursday for the second Garden night. Cannot wait.

All Along The Watchtower! That would be amazing. I'd love to hear Footsteps as well, they don't play it very often though.

Hey, couldnt remember at all!
    Im heading over Monday morning for both NY shows and heading on to Hartford the morning after. I have a feeling it'll be something special! (I have a list of songs im hoping to hear some of over the 5 shows, one of them Footsteps aswell, Watchtower would be massive too!)
    You going the after party in BB Kings in Times Square after the gig??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

How much is all the travelling and concert tickets costing you Redmosquito?

I love the total randomness of their setlists. Aside from material of the current album they may be promoting you could get anything else.

Creature wrote: »
    How much is all the travelling and concert tickets costing you Redmosquito?

I love the total randomness of their setlists. Aside from material of the current album they may be promoting you could get anything else.

Even when touring in support of an album you can have nights where there may only be a couple of songs from that album played! I love it, bar a few staples, you never really know what you might get, I mean in the four shows ive been to ive got super rarities like Hunger Strike, Boys are back in town, Education, In My Tree etc along with other classics that wouldnt get in the sets all that often!

So far ive spent about 1800 euro and still have yet to pay for three hotels, trains and rental cars and petrol. Along with spending money, I estimate im gonna spend somewhere up on about 4500 - 5000 euro! Gonna be worth it all for the all round experience!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have ten and vs both great rock albums,I've never really listened to any of there other albums bar the one with love boat on it and from what i can remember it bored me too tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I saw that setlist yesterday. Incredible! And to think that its a festival show too! That really is one of my favourite ones in a long while, so many great songs and rarities. Really want to see them again now:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Pearl Jam remind me of being a lil grunge kid in the 90s... I loved Ten and Versus and still do.

I really miss bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, A in C, Soundgarden, Kyuss etc... Rock nowadays has such a polished, generic sound and not that raw, gritty sound of the 90s... God, music depresses me these days.

• Advertisement

I have ten and vs both great rock albums,I've never really listened to any of there other albums bar the one with love boat on it and from what i can remember it bored me too tears.

Love Boat Captain is on Riot Act from 2002. Ill be the first to admit its not one of my favourite PJ albums, but trust me, it really does grow on you, as a matter of fact, its one the PJ cds in my car at the minute!

You really need to listen to Vitalogy and Yield, id go with them first and then try No Code, Binaural and avacado. although listening to them in that order messes up the progression of the band a bit!! ;)

Trust me, listen to Vitalogy and Yield, you dont know what you're missing out on!

Advertisement