Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking xp's?

Options
  • 08-07-2004 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭

this is a very broad question and i no there are many guides 2 overclocking xp cpu's but i was just wondering can the processor b overclocked without overclocking the ram at the same tme? and can a xp2600+ b overclocked with pc3200 cl2.5 ram?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Whats your computers spec? Ie motherboard, PSU etc.

When did you buy the chip? What speed does it run at in MHZ (to find out if tis a barton/Thorton/Tbred)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

xp2600+ 1917mhzSocket A 333mhz 512kb cache BARTON
    Epox EP-8k9a7i
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5 Memory 184pin

I was told that cl2 ram would b better 4 overclocking but could i still overclock with mine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

I seem to have big problems overclocking my 3200+ any more than 10%. Even if i go over 2.35Ghz its unstable. Its stock speed is 2.2Ghz. Vulcano12 and 55degrees

Dunno what to do, yet im not too bothered about gettin that little bit more power out off it while risking a shorter life-time.

water cooling would sort that wel and proper but theres no need as the 3200 is vgood

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Aye pyro the 3200's are brutal for overclocking. Only the lower speed xp's will overclock to around 3200 levels. Maybe a little higher.

The mobile xp's are the chips to get to go higher. Ideally the 35w models. I've seen them clocked to 2.4-2.7ghz on air cooling.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by airetam_storm
    this is a very broad question and i no there are many guides 2 overclocking xp cpu's but i was just wondering can the processor b overclocked without overclocking the ram at the same tme? and can a xp2600+ b overclocked with pc3200 cl2.5 ram?

first i just want to say cool name.

at the moment your ram is currently running at the same FSB as your processor i.e. 166mhz or pc2700.

now you have a motherboard with a kt400 chipset iirc this doesn't have a working agp/pci lock which means there is only so much you can up the FSB before you risk corrupting your hard drive and or doing damage to your graphics card.

however you can up it a bit. the other option then is to up the multiplier. depending on the age of hte processor it may be multi lock or unlocked. the first 2600+ bartons that came out around october last year would be unlocked. while newer ones are not. you'll have to go into the bios and see if the option to change the multiplier is available.

so i can't see you reaching 200mhz FSB to take advantage of the pc3200 let alone overclocking the ram so you'll just have to focus on your processor.

data

BloodBath - I didn't get my CPU with any intention of overclockin....its fast enough as it is. I have it for 8 months now and im happy for another 6 at least (!) :D

what does an agp\pci lock do? Also whats a locked cpu do that an unlocked one doesn't? i got my 2600 around february so would this b harder 2 overclock?

i no its alot a questions but i wanna get a 3200 soon but i hears data say they bad 4 overclock? Wat would b good 4 overclocking? thanx all 4 help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

BloodBath - I didn't get my CPU with any intention of overclockin....its fast enough as it is. I have it for 8 months now and im happy for another 6 at least (!)

I know you didn't mr. 23 fans.

He has pc3200 does he not data. Correct me if i'm wrong but in the BIOS you should have 4 settings for your processor fsb. 100, 133, 166 and 200. If you just change the setting to 200 your processor should now be recognised as a 3200.

BloodBath

Originally posted by BloodBath
    I know you didn't mr. 23 fans.
    BloodBath

21 fans actually, hmm whats that to do with overclocking.... however i like modding rather than overclocking :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement