Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Czechoslovakian cartoons

• 08-07-2004 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Back in the 1970s the BBC imported quite a few Czechoslovakian cartoons for children's TV, the only title which comes immediately to mind being "The Mole."

Just wondered whether RTE also screened these, maybe as the result of a cheap deal?

They were certainly unusual, totally unlike any American or British cartoons of the time, and if there was supposed to be any real humor in them, it was lost on me.

It must be 25 years since I last saw one, and the only thing that really sticks in my mind is how bland they were.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 frank_pivo_4

Well i dont know alot of czech cartoons.I remember some good childrens movies and for grown ups too,from czech.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yes - not to mention the moving wall paper funded by the national film board of canada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    Just wondered whether RTE also screened these
    I think some were, but they didn't go for the brash Tom and Gerry violence or the mickey Mouse charm. I think many were more the humourous end of morality tales and so on.

Czechoslovakian seems such an odd word these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

It's strange, but I remember the Canadian stuff as being either excellent or just weird, nothing in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I bet if we saw them again they'd turn out to contain no end of sly political satire*.

Mike.

*or maybe not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I remember them seriously weird cartoons ,suallon during summer holidays ,kinda like the Krusty Show reruns.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Lolek & Bolek anyone? (no seriously)

the last frame alway said "Konek" for some reason

Or were they Polish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

While we're on Eastern Europe, I had really cool children's books that had been translated from Russian to Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Originally posted by pork99

Or were they Polish?

Well remembered. AKAIK "Konec" meant "End"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Or were they Polish?

For some reason I think they were Polish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Whacker and Parasite anyone ? :D

Originally posted by magick
    Whacker and Parasite anyone ? :D

You mean "Eastern Europe's favorite cat & mouse team, Worker & Parasite" Krusty had to show when he lost the "Itchy & Scratchy" contract? "What the **** was that!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Heres a quicktime clip ;)

From the 'Gabbo' episode when Itchy & Scratchy got moved to the gabbo show and Krusty had to find somthing to replace them.

Originally posted by Hecate

From the 'Gabbo' episode when Itchy & Scratchy got moved to the gabbo show and Krusty had to find somthing to replace them.

classic - thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

/me vividly remembers his uncle shouting "here shuddup- lollix 'n b....x is on!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

You mean "Eastern Europe's favorite cat & mouse team, Worker & Parasite" Krusty had to show when he lost the "Itchy & Scratchy" contract? "What the **** was that!" :D

I almost died of a brain annurism while laughing so hard after seeing that in the Simpsons as it brought back so many memories of the cheap-ass Czech cartoons RTE used to screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Ha,
    Im out that way and yes the STILL show this stuff at 18.50 before the evening news on Czech or Slovak tv. Its called "Vecernicek" time depending on which language you go by, Czech is slightly diff.
    If your into satellite STV and CT are in the clear around newstime so might be worth a look on eurobird 28.5East...

Have loads of this on vcd for anyone who wants to go retro. They seemed to be on rte1 on sat afternoons before The Hardy Boys,,, oooh yes remember that one?

Advertisement