Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright

Options
  • 08-07-2004 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

I thought that if I bought a game it would be perfectly legal for me to install it on more than one computer if I owned both computers? Was I wrong?

I own 6 high speed computers and wanted to set them up for "LANing". Odly enough one of my games C&C generals wont work on multiplayer mode. Two computers with the same serial code cant join the same game. Thats stupid. Q, UT, Halo, MOH, AoE and the rest of my games have no problems!

Can I legally get round this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Buy another copy ,games with same serial wont allow direct play.
    In the EULA it says only per pc sux but thats the way it is.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Remember oldish games where they used to let you do a multiplayer spawn(that is go from pc to pc using the 1 cd)?

Total Annihilation did it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Well of course there are "other" possibilities, but they're are not mentionable, nor do I suggest them - buying ANOTHER copy of the game for yourself is a little extreme with games on the high street setting you back €50 a go, particularly when some games allow you, and some don't (good old Q3 and it's "aaaaaaaaaaa" serial # :D
    You could always mail the company - you never know, they MIGHT give you a free extra serial number if you pleaded their case with suitable diplomacy, citing other games etc.
    Remember oldish games where they used to let you do a multiplayer spawn(that is go from pc to pc using the 1 cd)?
    Warcraft2 was another - I recall racing around the Bleeding Horse DnC installing the spawns with a chap called barballs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Necromancer
    Wait until 70 years after the death of person who copyrighted it. Then again they'll probably extend copyright yet again (used to be 17 years from when first published)

Unfortunatley since it is a LICENSE it is not covered by the sale of goods act - it does not even have to be of merchantable quality..

ELUA - read it & weep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Though in this specific case, I don't think a single customer wanting to install for his/her own amusement the same game across 2 computers in the same house would have the feds breaking down doors - it hardly constitutes a large breach of this licence. I think it's there to protect against LAN cafés installing 50/60 versions with one copy.
    (rreading the original post, 6 machines might be stretching the benefit of the doubt though :))

How does EULA cover the Quake3 example - or is it up to the publisher to decide if they wish to allow multiple installs across a home network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Necromancer

Buy six copies of each game.

QED.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement