Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are pings????

• 08-07-2004 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

As I'm going to go broadband in the next couple of weeks I'm researching my options as to what carrier to use at the moment I'm on UTV dial up and happy with their service for the last year and know the transfer would be easyier than to sign up with either of the other big 2 companies but on all this forum all I hear about clicksilver is regard to their PINGS, PING this and PING that but what I want to know is what are these pings and how does it effect my usage on the net.

Gamers seem to be more disturbed by these pings but what way does it effect them playing games, as i don't have BB yet I have'ent went near the game sites but maybe when I do get broadband will this effect my enjoyment of BB and does these Pings effect video files or anything else and if I didn't playgames would the Clicksilver service be of equal value as Eircom and Esat but with bigger capacity and €10 cheaper??

I don't want to get roped into a service I won't be happy with down the road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Ping is the amount of time it takes a piece of information to go from your computer to the destination computer. It will have nearly no effect on normal usage like streaming video/audio and downloading, but for gaming the lower ithe better.

The longer it takes for information to leave your computer and return from the game computer, the slower events take place on your computer, so it'd be possible for someone to jump around a corner and kill you before you even knew that they were there... if your ping was very high (over 500ms).

For gaming, 70ms and less is considared good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Very detailed explanation here if that sort of thing interests you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I didn't playgames would the Clicksilver service be of equal value as Eircom and Esat but with bigger capacity and €10 cheaper??

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Thank you that makes alot of other threads more clearer to me now

Advertisement