Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Metal / Euro Metal

Options
  • 08-07-2004 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

As it says on the tin, started listening to groups like Edguy, Primal Fear and Gamma Ray about a year ago now. Have to say I find their music highly enjoyable and opened my eyes to so many other genres out there bar the mainstream groups. Any other fans of the sabove styles ? Or do most find them intolerable ?! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Power metal is great, cant beat it with a big stick for sheer fun factor, some really good bands about, Elvenking, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Freedoms Call, among other are all great bands, cant wait to see SOnata Arctica at bloodstock :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I have some German friends who are obsessive about Blind Guardian, which I find kind of disturbing. I enjoyed a bit of Helloween back in the day, Keeper Of The Seven Keys etc, but to be honest it just doesn't rock my boat that much. Having said that, I am keeping an eye on Ebay for the two Sword cd's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ah yes the fantastic Blind Guardian, one of my favourite groups. Bought most of their back catalogue when I was back in Germany at christmas. Actually its a power metal fans haven over there! so much choice!

Also the fun factor involved in a lot of the groups performance is highly enjoyable. Plastic swords and axes all over the shop :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i've stopped listening to it as much as I used to, used to be *big* into it.. but I still throw on the odd blind guardian/hammerfall album

helloween... haven't listened to them in a while... maybe tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Primal Fear r teh w1n!! love 'em!! if you dont have the history of fear DVD your PF collection is not complete. them at their prime with a show from wacken (Nuclear Fire tour) and a show from the Black Sun tour. its incredible!

Blind Guardian would be my no.2, I only have Nightfall... and the Live album, have to get the new DVD and Imaginations...

i really have to get that new Dragonforce album, heard a bit of it in HMV tis quite good!

roll on Bloodstock!! Primal Fear AND COB AND Sonata Arctica!! holy diver what a line up!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Wait a minute, I think I've heard of Blind Guardian. Don't they have a large amount of songs that, er, pay homage to Dungeons and Dragons? Not that I'm condemning that, of course. I'm partial to Manowar myself.

"Grandfather, who were those four warriors?"

"Who were they? THEY WERE THE METAL KINGS!" :)

And I was subjected to rather a lot of Nightwish recently by a friend. I'm glad she did it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, Blind Guardian pay homage to Lord Of The Rings, not Dungeons And Dragons! They had an entire concept album based on Tolkien's The Silmarillion called "Nightfall In Middle Earth" which is also one fantastic album that I'd recommend to anyone with even a passing intrest in Metal. Go get it. NOW!

And I too would like to express my fondness for Bloodstock.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

"We are following the will of the one!!!!
    though the dark age and into the storm!!!"

soo cool in a very nerdy way, i can see how so many people could get totally obsessed with Blind Guardian, especially if youre German.

"From the United States of America, all hail...... Manowar........"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    And I too would like to express my fondness for Bloodstock.
    Dont fall asleep during the main band this time tho Karl :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Dont fall asleep during the main band this time tho Karl :rolleyes:

It didn't happen last time, thank god!
    Nightwish were awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah have to say Blind Guardian are a great band - saw them at Wacken a few years ago - really blew away..
    Saw Iced Earth at Graspop the other week - they seem to be losing their touch.. Really like Ripper Owens vocals, but Matt seemed to be better suited to them. The 1st few songs were good, but after a while they were just boring..
    Death Angel on Tuesday - woohoo.... Brilliant at Graspop - cant wait!

How was Graspop? I was planning on going myself but family commitments etc.. It had a great lineup thats for sure.

Less than two months to Bloodstock rah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Graspop was great as ever...
    Few of the highlights were Queensryche, Exodus, Testament, Judas Priest, Anthrax & Death Angel. I'm sure there are tons more of highlights, but the above were my favs..
    Only **** thing this year is that they moved the campsite down the road instead of behind the festival because apparently people complained about noise levels in the Campsite!!! What the hell do you expect when you go to a festival. The walk from the grounds to the camping area and back meant missing an entire band - ie Fear Factory on the Sunday - (heard they were pretty crap, so not to worry)
    All in all a great gig though.. Kinda thought this might be my last festival for a few years due to buying a new house, but not so sure now...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Oh I likes me power metal I does.

Persuader are worth checking out. Lost Horizon are the best PM band I've heard so far, for their album "A Flame To The Ground Beneath." Dragonforce are great too, power metal on speed! Rhapsody are cool, but Freedoms Call beat them at that game. Elvenking are wonderful too, folk power with some brutal vocals which is great.

I would also look into Falconer. they are absolutely brilliant and their first two albums feature and immensly gifted vocalist, Mathias Blad.

I remember seeing part of the Dragonforce set at bloodstock last year and bloody hell they were fast! Their guitarist I felt was going to set his hands on fire at any moment :D

Advertisement