Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton eye Reds groundshare

• 08-07-2004 11:15pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hope this NEVER happens.

Everton chief executive Trevor Birch has indicated that he is to formally approach Merseyside rivals Liverpool with a plan to share a new stadium.
    Liverpool are hoping to build an £84m ground at Stanley Park and Everton's financial situation makes a groundshare their best option.

"In the next couple of weeks I will make this proposal to Liverpool," Birch told the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"We need a new ground and we know it makes sense to share."

Everton's scheme to build a new stadium alongside the River Mersey at King's Dock collapsed last year.

Birch, who took over last month, insists the club must move away from Goodison Park in order to generate the additional revenue needed to compete in the Premiership.

Debts of about £30m make the prospect of building a new ground unrealistic without help from a second party.

Liverpool and Everton could also apply for a £20m grant from the North West Development Agency if they decide to team up and build a new stadium.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Theve had the same home ground before , just not at the same time .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Why should we (LFC) bail them out just because they have no money....?we can pay for it we dont need help so lets keep the bitters out of our new ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by Dub13
    Why should we (LFC) bail them out just because they have no money....?we can pay for it we dont need help so lets keep the bitters out of our new ground

And who bails (you) out liverpool13 ?

Not like liverpool are rolling in it. It makes as good sense for them then for Everton.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by KdjaC

Not like liverpool are rolling in it. It makes as good sense for them then for Everton.

kdjac

Liverpool arent short of a few quid. The family who ownes the club are worth a lot, not sure of the figure, but pushing stg£1B afaik.

Why they activley encouraging investors?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They are reacting to offers to invest in the club.. They are after all a business and if a Thai business man wants to offer 60 odd million for a small stake the club without the current investors diluting their power, then they are obviously going to consider it. The Thai deal was particularly good for Liverpool as it facilited an expansion into Thailand and other parts of Asia.

To say they are actively encouraging investors suggests they are in dire straights... The opposite is true my opionion, the fact that the Thai deal has cooled and they rejected the Morgan offer suggests that they are in a strong position to accept an investment that suits the club.

kdjac

We dont need to be bailed out,we are not like other clubs who while building a new ground cant buy new players.The ground will pay for its self.They are looking for investment as the main shareholder wants to reduce his stake at the club.

Why they activley encouraging investors?

kdjac

Why spend you own money when you can spend someone elses. And lets be honest here, £60m is a lot of money no matter who you are, and yes im including Abramovich here. If you dont think so, drop him an email asking for a donation of £50 m to you and see what reply you get.

Plus we've got what money cant buy, loyalty. Gwan the Stevie G!!!!!!!!!!!

Houllier spent a lot of money , i reckon they will do this simply becasue they cannot afford to build a stadium and try maintain a challenge for 4th with buying players and the like.
    They are a business and even contemplating taking investment which was to be used to buy players (if i read correctly) quite blatantly suggests they cant afford both.

kdjac

Houllier spent a lot of money , i reckon they will do this simply becasue they cannot afford to build a stadium and try maintain a challenge for 4th with buying players and the like.

kdjac

I allready said that the ground will/is going to pay for its self...so how can you say we cannot aford to build a stadium and still buy players...?this is not true.we could end up being one of the big spenders this season (after Chelsea of course)

• Advertisement

How many liverpool players are up for sale?

kdjac

Ok so whats your points? That just because they are entertaining bids for a stake in the club and are considering using this money for future transfers while at the same time having the 80 odd million required to build a new stadium available, that they are in trouble??

You seem to forget that Liverpool as a club is still one of the few profitable clubs in the premiership... The most recent set of figures I can find are for 2002 and 2003...

Turnover:

2002 - 96.668 million
    2003 - 102,504 million

Profit before player trading and interest:

2002 - 13.842 million
    2003 - 19.765 million

Profit before tax

2002 - 9.092 million (includes the sale of robbie fowler)
    2003 - 3.641 million

All in all, not really a club who are in trouble. Especially considering the 2002 - 2003 was a particularly dissappointing season whereby we missed out on Champions League football and had the worst run in our history...

How many liverpool players are up for sale?

kdjac

Nobody knows yet....not even the players,but I would say a far few but we will lose money on most if not all them.

We are grand we dont need the money....here are some facts for you.

The Barclay brothers paid the Moores family a total of pounds 750m
    for the Liverpool-based retail empire Littlewoods last October.

Rick Parry today said the stadium would be funded entirely by the club. The £80m construction costs would be borrowed against the projected increase in revenue the larger arena would provide.

He said the new ground would earn the club an extra £12m to £13m a year and would pay off its cost after around 15 years.

Didnt say they were in trouble ,said they would entertain it as it makes as much sense to them as it does to Everton.
    Should read the posts before you get your Liverpool fan book out.

kdjac

KdjaC,
    I would say the Club would like the idea from a purely busness point but I no for a fact that the fans would never go for it,now I cant speak for the Blue half (or 1/5) of Liverpool.

Didnt say they were in trouble ,said they would entertain it as it makes as much sense to them as it does to Everton.
    Should read the posts before you get your Liverpool fan book out.

kdjac

Less fan book, more facts...

You can draw your own conclusions as to the real reasons for the club considering outside investors.. You can assume it means that the club, having commited itself to a large capital investment, cannot raise the required money to facilitate transfers.... I on the other hand, don't see the problem with such an investment as it will contribute to the long term properity of the club and while also allowing the club to address immediate requirements in the transfer market.. The fact that the club have just shelled out 15 million for Cisse already suggests that they are not exactly pressed for cash, regardless what happens with new investors or the new stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

On paper a ground share makes sense. Two clubs combine their resources to build one über-stadium that can generate massive revenue for both. Man United generate 40% of their revenue from a 67,000 seater stadium. Think how much both Liverpool and Everton would benefit from having a huge ground at their disposal. Major ground shares are very popular in Italy:

Lazio & Roma - Stadio Olimpico (82,000)
    AC & Inter - San Siro (88,000)

If four of Italy's biggest teams can co-exist on two grounds with the number of fixtures they have (albeit with better weather conditions for the pitch) then it should be possible for Liverpool & Everton.

The Liverpool and Everton fan bases might not put up with this but it's a very good solution.

di d certain club from manchester not open themselves up for public investment a few years back? were there any doomsday merchants predicting the end of th eclub back then? and if so where are they now.

If Liverpool and Everton were to ground share it would have to be an Uber stadium alright , in excess of 80,000 , but I couldnt see Everton filling that every week , same cant be said of Liverpool .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by leeroybrown

If four of Italy's biggest teams can co-exist on two grounds with the number of fixtures they have (albeit with better weather conditions for the pitch) then it should be possible for Liverpool & Everton.

It's kind of different because in Italy the grounds (the world cup 90 ones anyway!) are own by the municipalities (and not the clubs) so it's psychologically easier for a club to groundshare because they don't feel like they are either (a) 'trespassing' on another teams patch or conversely (b) having to 'allow' their bitter rivals play on their hallowed turf..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by Big Ears
    If Liverpool and Everton were to ground share it would have to be an Uber stadium alright , in excess of 80,000 , but I couldnt see Everton filling that every week , same cant be said of Liverpool .

doubt very much they'd go for one that big, it'd be half empty for both clubs against average premiership opposition. 60,000 would suit.
    I'd rather not share with the red sh!tes but i think both clubs would benefit financially from a ground share whether they can afford their own one or not.

i'd love to see both clubs being the biggest in England again and at the moment even Liverpool are miles off that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

80,000 would be way too big... somewhere around 60 -> 65000 would make a lot more sense...

You couldnt see Everton filling that every week? Are you mad?

Have you ever been to Liverpool? Just because we didnt have a good season last year doesnt mean that nobody goes to the games!!!

Last season and the season before Everton had one of the highest average attendances in the premiership.. trying to get tickets for home games was like trying to get oxegen tickets in the past week... virtaully impossible...

Season ticket sales in the last 2 years have been the highest ever in their history... A pretty high percentage of attendance is season ticket holders...

Your point seems to have been pulled out of your arse, excuse me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i'm opposed to the groundshare

on the number of seats, i think aiming for 60-65,000 isn't that great, unless maybe theres room for further expansion
    united already have 67,000 and are extending it, so in 2 years when the stadium is complete its still smaller than united's meaning they'll still pull in a lot more money throughout a season

then again, a bigger stadium might be half full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i dont agree with this groundshare as everton just want us to bail them out, they are nearly 40 million in debt whereas liverpool will have a brand new stadium in a few years and one of the best run clubs in the league profit wise.

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    somewhere around 60 -> 65000 would make a lot more sense...

I never said that , your just pulling quotes out of your arse
    :p .

I never said that , your just pulling quotes out of your arse
    :p .

you said everton couldn't fill 80000 per week and that liverpool could... thats what you said which is rubbish...

i said that a smaller capacity than 80000 would make sense as let be honest, would you expect to see 80,000 people at a liverpool vs norwich game or an everton vs crystal palance game? I dont think so...

whereas if they were playing bigger opposition they could fill that no problem, but it wouldnt make economic sense for there to be an 80,000 capacity as only on a few occasions per season for each team would there be sell outs...

If you got 55000 -> 65000 tickets sales per game every game you would make a lot more profit than having 55000 -> 65000 for most games and 80000 for some... the empty seats at all the other games would just eat into any profit...

Finniacialy a 60,000/65,000 stadium is what Liverpool could easily afford themselves , so why would they bother ground sharing , it would have to be a massive stadium to make a groundshare worth while .

Finniacialy a 60,000/65,000 stadium is what Liverpool could easily afford themselves , so why would they bother ground sharing , it would have to be a massive stadium to make a groundshare worth while .

well firstly they would have to put out less money themselves.. therefore more money to spend on players and wages etc...

show me one chairman (apart from abramovich) that wouldn't want an extra 20 or 30 million in their back pocket...

• Advertisement

I think Abramovich would want another 30 million , why spend your own money when u can spend somelse's .

But the point is would Liverpool want to share with Everton for the sake of 20 million ?

Maybe they would I dont know .

I think Abramovich would want another 30 million , why spend your own money when u can spend somelse's .

But the point is would Liverpool want to share with Everton for the sake of 20 million ?

Maybe they would I dont know .

I dont think they would after all 20 million is not alot in todays game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Originally posted by Shred
    Parry says no to groundshare

:D Glad to hear that
    I didnt like the idea of a groundshare and also felt (as said above) that we would be bailing Everton out.

Advertisement