Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up network

Options
  • 08-07-2004 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

I have recently got IOLBB and having got my hands on a brand new lappie, I decided I want to set up a LAN with a wireless option.

To begin with, I already had the IOL-supplied modem/router, the Zyxel Prestige 623R. Works fine.

So I then went and got a 3 Com OfficeConnect router with wireless facility (Model No. 3CRWE51196).

My problem is getting the 3Com router to work - when I link it using the ethernet cable coming from the Prestige and then connect the 3Com router to my laptop, I can't get connected.

How do I configure the Prestige to be a DSL modem only? Not having it assign IP addresses by disabling its DCHP function??

I know that it may be a problem using the standard IP address for set-up (192.168.1.1) as that applies to both devices!

I have tried changing the IP address for setting up each device but to no avail.

Any ideas / advice would be much appreciated.

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

Do you have your own public static IP from IOL or is it dynamic? If its dynamic, it may be tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

gogul sorry but you dont know what your talking about

the easiest way to get it working is to set the 3 com to just work as a basic switch and keep using the Zyxel Prestige for routing

it should tell u how to do this in the manual or on the website

Advertisement