Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copa America

• 08-07-2004 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I might aswell open a thread for this. Results so far:

Group A
    Venezuela 0 - 1 Colombia - Moreno (pen)

Peru 2 - 2 Bolivia - Botero (Bol), Alvarez (Bol), Bossio (Per), Palacios (Per)

Group B
    Mexico 2 - 2 Uruguay - Beuno (Uru), Osorno (Mex), Pardo (Mex), Montero (Uru)

Argentina 6 - 1 Ecuador - Gonzalez (Arg, pen), Delgado (Ecu), Saviola, Saviola, Saviola, D'Alessandro, Gonzalez (Arg)

Tonights fixtures:

Costa Rica -v- Paraguay
    Brazil -v- Chile

I can't see anyone beating Argentina and the bookie's odds' of 5/2 before the tournament started is proof that they are a force to be reckoned with. Most teams have weakened squad's, especially Brazil. The two 2-2 draws have been the best matches so far. Diego Forlan is also a different player for Uruguay.

I've put €10 on a Paraguay - Brazil double tonight at odds of 3/1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Watched some of the mexico game alst night ,anyone see the 3rd goal keeper kinda let it in. Very strange and the camera angle is weird.

Oh well its football.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Did anyone see that goal, I think Peru got it, the fella took it outside the box, solo-ed it into the box, then solo-ed it again, and hit it on the volley. Great goal.

About Forlan being better for Uruguay, yeah I'd have to agree. He couldn't be much worse than he is for United :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I've put €10 on a Paraguay - Brazil double tonight at odds of 3/1.

Good bet just about, last night results were

Paraguay 1 - 0 Costa Rica Julio Dos Santos 86 (pen)

Brazil 1 - 0 Chile Luis Fabiano 90

I think that Peru will do well in this tournament, given that they are at home. However Argentina are a good bet, as the coach is under tremendous pressure as if he does not win he is sacked. Also they do not have Crespo with them.

One interesting to note is that Brazil have not won this tournament to many times, in fact I think that they have only one more Copa America title than World Cup

The list reads

Argentina 14
    Uruguay 14
    Brazil 6
    Paraguay 2
    Peru 2
    Bolivia 1
    Colombia 1

This is mainly due to the fact that the competition started in 1916!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's the last time I'm staying up when I have a bet on the matches. I expected to watch the Paraguay match and then head to bed but I ended up watching both games, the Brazil match finished at 03.40. The ref in the Brazil game was giving freekicks for every single tackle and the Chilean's were time wasting as soon as the clock hit 80mins. That lad Diego, who had an agreement with Spurs, came on for the last half hour and he looks a very good player, pity about his diving though. Also, the Chilean's had a penalty, they scored but players ran into the box before it was taken, it was retaken and missed.:D

In the other match. Paraguay and Costa Rica were poor. Paraguay had 7 debutants in the team and the keeper had only made 6 previous appearances at club level so they had an excuse. Brazil and Chile are by far the best teams in the group and i can't see either been beaten by the other two. Therefore Brazil are nearly certain to win the group and at 4/11 I'm sticking big money on them.

Tonights matches are really hard to call. Venezula are a decent team and Bolivia got a draw with Peru so its no bet for me tonight.
    Colombia v Bolivia
    Peru v Venezula

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Stayed up to watch some of the games!! watch only bits cause they where dire to say the least! have only been impressed with Argentina so far but they where playing a very poor team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I only saw the second half of the Costa Rica , Paraguay game , but I was impressed by the Paraguayans U 23 team(for the olympics) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Question: does anyone have any opinions as to why the squads are so poor?

I suppose I'm taking the obvious thought here that because Europe attracts all the top players who will be back training soon at their clubs, they are skipping the tournament in favour of a holiday or rest or indeed to start some club training. This is resulting in a much poorer tournament, as it should be an equivalent of Euro2004. Why wasnt the tournament played at the same time as Euro2004, or does that clash with club football in South America, etc?

Its ironic how money at one side of the globe affects sport at the other side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Yeah I was amazed looking at the Brazil squad and how lightly they take this competition.

It's the World Cup qualifiers they really care about I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Well I get the feeling they rate the Olyimpics more .

for instance Brazil send what was ment to be they're squad for the Olyimpics with a few exceptions (Edu to name 1 ) , unfourtunately for them they didnt qualify .

Argentina and that young Paraguay team that we've seen did .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Why would countries and fans rate the Olympics higher than their own Copa America?

The European countries certainly dont. I know that the African countries did at one time such as Nigeria. I have no idea who is going to play in this years Olympics for the European teams, but after Euro2004 and with the preparation starting for the new season, surely none of the top professionals will be there. I haven't looked into it but that would make sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Talk of Utd's Ronaldo been made to play in Olmypics because he played in the qualifiers!! means he would miss the start of the season for Utd

In the olympics we have

Group A :
    Greece (GRE)
    Korea Republic (KOR)
    Mali (MLI)
    Mexico (MEX)

Group B :
    Ghana (GHA)
    Italy (ITA)
    Japan (JPN)
    Paraguay (PAR)

Group C :
    Argentina (ARG)
    Australia (AUS)
    Serbia and Montenegro (SCG)
    Tunisia (TUN)

Group D :
    Costa Rica (CRC)
    Iraq (IRQ)
    Morocco (MAR)
    Portugal (POR)

So Brazil did not qualify!It makes sense for Argentine, Paraguay and Mexico to bring young squads to Copa America as the Olympics tournament is Under 23, although I think teams may be allowed one or two over age players. So the olympics is almost like a youth tournament!

The quarter finals for Copa America were decided last night and are

Peru v Argentina, 23:00, Saturday

Brazil v Mexico, 1:45, Sunday

Paraguay v Uruguay, 21:00, Sunday

Colombia v Costa Rica, 2:00, Monday

Advertisement