Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What dolls did you have in the 80s?

• 09-07-2004 3:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I had:

Barbies (of course),

Sindys - which I preferred to Barbies as their skin wasn't so horribly orange.

Jem - rockstar doll with pink and blond hair and a very masculine face - so much so that I cut my one's hair and made her into a man.

Shera, Frosta, Catra etc - smaller super heroine dolls with "crystals" embedded on their chests.

Fairy dolls (don't remember their names) with pixie faces and detachable wings.

Those cheap pound shop wannabe Barbies - but they never had a full head of hair and they were hollow inside.

Funny how plastic can mean so much for a child!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I hope your'e a girl. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I had a jem doll and the tape of her band "jem -TRULY OUTRAGEOUS" I still have it lying around somewhere and to the best of my knowledge that band are still playing in some lonely town in america. (They are supposed to be good as well).
    As for the rest of the eighties,
    a cabbage patch kid, complete with birth cert.
    barbies/sindys (did everybody cut the hair of these dolls?)
    Cup cake doll, used to be a little cake, turn the cake inside out and there was a doll inside with really long hair.
    We also had that one big doll each, which we seemed to have all out childhood years, they were always called lucy for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Dancing duck

Oh the love affair...

Remember Polly Pockets? They were legendary, still going strong I believe, but they've nothing on the originals.

WANTED .
    Rag-doll, red red hair and a blue and silver dress with a rainbow on it. May go by the name of 'Rainbow' but origin and whereabouts are completely unknown. Possible reward on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilo moo

I remember cup cake dolls. They smelled nice...

Polly Pocket has really changed. Her whole house used to fit in your pocket and Polly could only move at the waist.

I had Barbies and a slightly traumatic experience with a particular long-haired doll. One evening when I was a little thing, I was lovingly brushing her flowing locks when her head popped off, sticking to my little plastic hairbrush.

I had My Little Ponies too. I still have one from when I was a kid, an example of the kind of alterations my ponies went through. She's a punk pony now complete with piercings and mohawk. Ah childhood fun...

Originally posted by lilo moo
    I remember cup cake dolls. They smelled nice...

My mother has kept loads of our dolls/toys from when we were younger and lo and behold there was my cup cake doll and the weird part is- that is still smells gorgeous.
    It has to be at least thirteen years old.
    Here she is, in all her wonderful smelling glory

cupcake2.jpg

cupcake1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He-man dolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yeah i had he-man and also transformers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Originally posted by lilo moo

I had My Little Ponies too. I still have one from when I was a kid, an example of the kind of alterations my ponies went through. She's a punk pony now complete with piercings and mohawk. Ah childhood fun...
    yeah, all my dolls eventually became punks - I'd keep up cutting their hair shorter and shorter, I'd put pins in their ears for earings and I'd put extra makeup on with biro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

i had 3 cabbage kids....one of which could talk. was always freaked out by the fact that it knew when u were holding it upside down!!

had those cup cake things, my little ponies, rainbow bright, barbie and ken and the littlest pet shop (not sure if that was 80s or very early 90s but i had loads)

oh and i had those Keepers things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

I had my little ponies, sindys, a barbie and one of those flower fairies with the detachable wings and a keyper too - ah the joys of being young, although I didn't cut off my barbies hair I did give her earrings made of pins etc I think they're all lying in one of those huge big plastic ice cream boxes in the house, there's another box full of barbie/sindy clothes and shoes too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I always had Sindy's... Barbie just looked like an ikky slapper to me.
    I had Strawberry Shortcake dolls that smelled gorgeous and also some of her friends, cherry somebody and peachy someone else. And a bakery shop in the shape of a giant strawberry! Still have that in fact... its brilliant!
    I also had a stoopid tiny tears doll that weed into a tissue nappy and also one of those giant 3ft high dolls with the long hair... it was as tall as me at one point... freaky!

Funnily enough I prefered boys toys. They were always more fun.
    I got hours of enjoyment out of my train set, scalextrix cars, army tank and model airplanes. Sindy used to be flattened regularly by my green matchstick firing army tank!! :D mwah hahahahaaaaaaaa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I thought Jem were guys? Well that's what I kind of remember from the cartoon.

No they were girls, the girls that did the voiceover for jem and the rest of the band still have the band going in America, and as i said above they are supposed to be good.
    Jem is supposed to be the first doll that broke away from the whole barbie/sindy thing by having pink hair and punk clothes. I can't remember too much about the cartoon -was it on for long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

I had one cupcake dolly, was blue and smelled of blueberries!

oh and a doll called little miss makeup, you took her make up on and off with hot or cold water..

I was also a mad troll fan.. still have loads of them, even one that walks and falls and cries then gets up again

anyone rememebr puppy in my pocket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

ahh no one mentioned tiny tears.. also had barbies, my little ponies and the coolest doll ever, baby skates.. ;)

Advertisement