Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mustaine tells all

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Looks interesting - havent time to read it now but im definetly gonna check it out later - ive read countless interviews with mustaine/hetfield etc so probably heard most of this stuff before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

That is the summarised version of the post Rust In Peace era of Megadeth and the current state of things. Nick Menza is back in. I think he only needs to find a guitarist to get his touring line-up of Megadeth ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Didnt know which old Mustaine thread to pull up, but anyways...

Get this....

"MEGADETH In Talks With ANNIHILATOR Axe Legend! [Hot Flashes - 04.07.16 14:19:47]

In an EXCLUSIVE interview with BW&BK today (July 16th), MEGADETH frontman Dave Mustaine has revealed that he has been in talks with ANNIHILATOR guitar legend Jeff Waters about him possibly joining the ranks of the newly rejuvenated thrash legends.

"I’ve been talking to one of your countrymen about playing with me and it looks pretty good," Mustaine revealed about his recent communication with Waters. "We’ve been talking quite a lot and my only fear is that he’s so good and he’s a leader of his own thing and this is an institution

here, it’s a worldwide thing and, you know. I’ve already had some struggles with bringing in a hired gun that was a leader of another situation with Alan (Pitrelli). Alan’s a good guy, good player. I don’t think that he really could take going from being a leader in SAVATAGE and TSO

(TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA) to being, you know, second, or actually fourth, in Megadeth. I don’t think he could handle it. That’s my only fear about working with Jeff is that he’s a leader of his own thing. But, we’re talkin’ and we’re talkin’ and I’m passionate about what I want to do and it may very well happen. We’ve obviously started a friendship and I’ve known of him for years. It may just be that this is a combination that will put him on the map and give me some stability because I have a lot of friends that are Canadian and every one of them is just ****ing righteous."

This isn't the first time that a Mustaine-Waters collaboration has been spoken about. Waters was rumored to replace Jeff Young (So Far, So Good...So What! era) in the late '80s.

In a conversation with BW&BK in 1997, Waters had the following to say about the connection: "Marty Friedman's spot hadn't been filled by him yet," Waters remembers. "In 1989, we were supporting TESTAMENT for three months on the Practice What You Preach tour in the US. I had been a big fan of The New Order and the next minute we're touring with them. A few weeks into the tour, Chuck Billy (Testament singer) liked our show and me as a guitar player and recommended me to Mustaine. Mustaine said he liked Alice In Hell and really liked that 'Crystal Ann' piece and he said 'do you want to learn the B-side to 'Peace Sells...' and come down and audition.' It was Marty Friedman, Dimebag Darrell (PANTERA axe) and myself who got the offers. It worked out perfectly for them 'cause I don't think I would've worked out. I would've been fired pretty quickly 'cause back then drugs and drunken binges were the norm. I was drunk back then all the time, so I think the combination of me going down into a big successful band would've killed me."

Mustaine doesn't recall the contact:

"Honestly, that never was the case because I never spoke with the man. I would like to have said that we talked, I may have make a phone call or someone may have made a phone call on my behalf, but I don’t remember ever speaking to him. It’s not like that period was a blur because I was very coherent at that time and IF it would have come down to me listening.... because I had the Alice In Hell record and I thought ‘this guy is great’. I know that if I would have sat down with him and just said ‘here, this is my vision’ and presented my case, if anybody was willing to be at the top I know they would have come along for the ride. I think right now that is one of the things that I’m most hesitant about because I don’t know what I’m going to do, I don’t know with this whole thing with Ellefson right now, if it’s going to be the end of Megadeth, if it’s the end of me period, or what. I’ve pretty much put everything on the blocks for right now."

Watch for more quotes from the chat at BraveWords.com and full feature in the next issue of BW&BK #83, due out in September."

Can you imagine Mustaine and Jeff Waters?! F**kin hell...

(sorry for the long post - such a peasant i dont know how to link properly
    :rolleyes: )

I can see that lasting all of about a month ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

hes also being sued by Dave Ellefson for $18.5 million. its all there on bravewords.com, but its basically over merchandise, royalties and Mustaine saying Ellefson is **** bassist (WHICH HE DAMN WELL IS NOT!)

• Advertisement

Dunno, I think I'd go with Mustaine on this one, he has been very honest about what is going on recently and is the sole reason Megadeth is what it is. Ellefson was the reason I took up bass playing, but I think he's playing sillybuggers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

i have to agree with you Doctor J, Ellefson is pulling a fast one, but theres no way that Mustaine should have said he was ****, it was probably in the midst of a massive arguement.

funny how the entire documentary on Rude Awakening means absolutley nothing now.

id love to see a Dave Mustaine auto-biography.

It's crazy shyt... at least the version on the behind the music thingy was mental... broken home, drink, drugs, you know how it goes...

I get the feeling his new album is going to be something special. He always does his best work when he's annoyed with something. As for Ellefson... for shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Sounds like Ellefson is pulling a Lars Ulrich :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Doctor J
    I get the feeling his new album is going to be something special. He always does his best work when he's annoyed with something.

Damn right :D Have you guys seen the cover artwork? Looks more than promising - the politicians are back on the cover!

• Advertisement

you can see the work in progress here

http://www.mikelearn.com/megadeth/mega_01.html

Here's more (edited) news - read the full thing on metal-rules.com

"MUSTAINE selected nearly a dozen songs from some 150 that he had compiled over the years, keeping them under wraps for the ideal opportunity. With members of MEGADETH's best-known lineup (which lasted from 1990's Rust In Peace to '97's Cryptic Writings) either unable to appear due to scheduling issues, or unwilling to meet the demands of MUSTAINE's vision for the record, the singer and guitarist cast away all preconceptions and recruited bassist Jimmie Sloas and drummer Vinnie Colaiuta. Co-producing with Jeff Balding, who had engineered Cryptic Writings and 1999's Risk, MUSTAINE took an approach to recording that he found liberating. "I took a real casual pace with this album. We started out working about three hours a night, four days a week. I know this is such a cliché, but it was like being reborn. I don't have three other guys that I'm gonna disappoint if I don't listen to their stuff. I was in there calling the shots and it was a lot like when (the band's first two albums) Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good! and Peace Sells...But Who's Buying? first came out. It was me making my music, I had guys in the band listening to me, and I was the boss."

One amazing surprise for longtime MEGADETH fans would have to be the presence of original guitarist Chris Poland, who played on those first two albums and contributed lead work to nearly every cut on The System Has Failed. "It was so much fun having Chris come down and play," says MUSTAINE. "He's a great person and there's a reason why we took a fork in the road back then. When he came in and listened to this record, I didn't know what to expect from him. I didn't know if he was gonna listen and say, 'I'm not digging this,' or whatever, because he's all into his jazz-fusion stuff. But he gave me a really great compliment, because he said somewhere, 'some of you guys are gonna have to break out your slide rulers, because this is definitely Rust In Peace-type music.'"
    "Everybody's wanted me to make Rust In Peace 2, and I don't think I did," says MUSTAINE with his usual candor. "But I think what I did was make an album that was a natural progression from Rust In Peace."

That progression is evident on The System Has Failed. "Back In The Day" delves into one of MUSTAINE's many influences, the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, with its galloping guitar work and frenetic tempo.

"I think that I've been able to transcend some of the pigeonholing that takes place with a hard rock band," agrees the maestro. "The head of my record company said something to me that really lit a fire under my butt. He said, 'Back when you wrote Rust In Peace, you owned heavy metal. That flag was yours. It's time for you to go back and claim that flag.' I'm excited that there really isn't anything out there that I believe can compete with this record. I think I really have a chance of making a statement."

Aye, bring it on. Can't get enough Chris Poland these days, he's on the new Lamb Of God cd too

Advertisement