Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth headset usage in car

• 09-07-2004 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Does anyone if it's legal to use a bluetooth headset in the car or even a wire headset connected to a mobile phone? I am confused as to what is or not allowed by the law when driving? I just know that if anything causes you to drive dangerously constitutes an offence but not sure if you can use them if you drive safely? Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

AKAIK Wire sets are illegal, you are technically touching the phone.
    Bluetooth may be ok but if the phone is on your person they can still do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Thanks. I wish they would give clear guidelines. I'm thinking of investing in a bluetooth headset or bluetooth speaker. My preference would be a headset for privacy reason over a speaker but I don't want to splash out on a headset and find later it's illegal to use in a car. So as long as the mobile phone is not 'touching' me when using the headset, I should be ok? Also, does the phone have to be mounted like it is in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, this is really a legal matter so best bet would be to ask a legal person or Garda... quoting advice from here to a Garda won't count for much if there is an issue...

Here is the contact details for the Garda Traffic Unit, and there are plenty of legal people around happy to answer questions in exchange for plenty of money ;)

BrianG

Thanks for the link. I think this proves that this is so much confusion of mobile phone usage on the roads. I wish a black and white dos and don'ts is published to provide clarity on this matter.

Here's some information I found on the web which might clear up this matter but the it's still unclear if wireless bluetooth headsets are allowed or not.

http://www.iol.ie/~discover/carphone.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by ADSLUSER
    I think this proves that this is so much confusion of mobile phone usage on the roads. I wish a black and white dos and don'ts is published to provide clarity on this matter.

yeah - might be worth a letter to a TD highlighting the confusion too (now they have 3 months off they should have plenty of time to deal with it ;)) - a dos and don't list sounds like a great idea

BrianG

Advertisement