Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Weekends Games

• 09-07-2004 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭

So who does everybody think will win this weeks games? I know that most peoples football predictions are in the pools however there are a lot of other games up for decision and people may have changed their minds from the pools!

I am sticking with the decision that I made in the football pools and sticking with Kerry and Donegal to prevail. As for this weekends other football matches, I expect the Dublin vs Longford match to be closer than expected. I think that Dublin will prevail however, but would not be shocked if Longford caused an upset. In Saturdays big game down in Wexford Park I hope that Wexford win,but I think that the game will be very close. Wexford have Colm Morris back and that will make a big difference to the team,following the disappointing performance versus Westmeath. The biggest single reason for Wexfords loss to Westmeath was the fact that he was not playing!!!

In the hurling one and possibly two of the "big three" will be out of the championship this year. In Saturdays match I expect Cork to beat Tipp but it will be a close game with neither team really impressing so far. Since 2001 Tipp have come up short on to many occasions, against Waterford, Clare and Kilkenny for example (and in 2001 they only won because the did not have to play Kilkenny).

But the weekends big hurling match could be the game of the season, or a one-sided affair. This all depends on which Galway turns up, the Galway of the 2001 semi-final who shocked Kilkenny, or the Galway of the disappointing losses in 2002 and 2003. If the former turns up I expect a great game with Kilkenny prevailing with only a point or two to spare. However if the latter turns up I expect a one-sided affair with Kilkenny handing out an ass-whooping.

What does everybody think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I will go with my predictions of Kerry and Armagh to win their respective provinces. I also am going to run with Dublin and Wexford to win, so only one difference from you so far cruiser. In the hurling I will go for Cork and Kilkenny. Tipp have not really impressed me since 2002 ( Ithink that was the year they were runners up to KK in both league and Championship).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Kerry and Donegal to win. Offaly to beat Wexford and Longford to take the Dubs. Tipp to beat Cork and Kilkenny to trounce Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I have a sneaking feeling for Donegal to beat Armagh. I also think Limerick will give Kerry a right run for their money.

I think Offaly will beat Wexford by 5 or 6 points. Thats mainly because I know little about Wexford, and give them little credit for their win v Kildare - they beat a poor team in a poor game. Offaly were far more impressive in their demolition of Kildare (i think the last 15 mins of that game can be ignored as Offaly stopped playing).

Very difficult to call the two hurling games. I'd plump for the Cats and Tipp, but with no great conviction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Originally posted by The Rooster

I think Offaly will beat Wexford by 5 or 6 points. Thats mainly because I know little about Wexford, and give them little credit for their win v Kildare - they beat a poor team in a poor game. Offaly were far more impressive in their demolition of Kildare (i think the last 15 mins of that game can be ignored as Offaly stopped playing).

I'll admit that it will be a close game, and that Offaly are probably favourites but it will be an awful lot closer than 5 or 6 points. I did not see the Kildare game(on holidays) so I can not comment. But the Wexford performance against Westmeath was the worst that I have seen this year, due mainly as I said earlier to the absense of Colm Morris. This meant that Darragh Breen who is a wing and not a corner back was marking Dessie Dolan. Which in turn meant that Redmond Barry was playing wing back, where he was wasted. Wexford were at their best in that game when he pushed forward. This also meant that Dolan got a great start to the game before Niall Murphy was switched onto him, he did well enough but it was to late at that stage.

However if you look at their other games this season, they easily disposed of Louth without ever really trying. In the league they beat Sligo, Galway (scoring 5-17 in Galway) and Meath. Drew with Cavan and lost narrowly to Laois, Armagh(1 point) and Limerick (all away if I remember correctly), and were in with a chance of qualifying up until the last game (where Laois had to win to stay up and Wexford eased off)!

Although I must admit that Offaly were impressive in the league and against Kildare(who had 6 days off and were missing players), they also went out with a whimper against Westmeath! There top player Ciaran McManus has not impressed this year, maybe the travelling and lack of constant football is taking a toll!

I think that it will be close and hopefully a Wexford victory!Loch Garman abu:D

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Cork and Kilkenny to win this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A narrow Tipp win and a 5 or 6 point win for Killkenny .

and a Kerry , Donegal , Wexford, and Dublin win in then football .

Well I made a some money on the hurling. I put fiver on a Kilkenny/Cork double, and also had a fifty euro bet with a friend of mine from Tipp. :D

Unfortunately my football quadruple did not work out, with Wexford and Dublin the only teams not to let me down. How was I to know that Donegal would not bother even trying:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It was a fantastic performance yesterday by Armagh. Donegal played as good as they could, although there were a couple of notable errors from the keeper, his first time in Croke Park, but Armagh played the best game of football seen in Ireland this year and on that performance would beat any team.

For those that thought that Donegal weren't trying or were poor - you didnt watch the full game. Armagh played well in every quarter of the pitch and just outplayed Donegal. Even with all of that, Donegal were within shouting distance and nearly scored a goal early in the second half, hitting the crossbar instead, so it could have been a different scoreline, but not a different result.

McDonnell was unbelievable. McCready was giving him only a yard but he would just get the posession and get his scores in a blink of an eye, and from all over the pitch. Armagh were just on-song. Even Pat Spillane was in awe. The goals towards the end flattered the scoreline but there was no doubt that Armagh were superior. Donegal's bogey run against Armagh continues for another year.

It will be hard for Donegal to pick themselves up after this. They are by no means out of the final run-in. They probably would lose to Armagh if they met them again, but they have the skills to beat many of the other teams still remaining.

On another thread I mentioned that Kerry were over-rated by the bookies (Paddy Power), and looking at their draw with Limerick I think my opinion has been confirmed - although there is still a long way to go before anyone gets their hands on Sam. Limerick deserved to win that match really, and having come close, I do think they will not have the impetus for the replay alas. But Kerry will find it difficult against many teams, whilst they play purer football, it reminds me of minor matches rather than the current cutting edge of Ulster football, which to me will likely win Sam again this year.

Originally posted by redspider

For those that thought that Donegal weren't trying or were poor - you didnt watch the full game. Armagh played well in every quarter of the pitch and just outplayed Donegal. Even with all of that, Donegal were within shouting distance and nearly scored a goal early in the second half, hitting the crossbar instead, so it could have been a different scoreline, but not a different result.

McDonnell was unbelievable. McCready was giving him only a yard but he would just get the posession and get his scores in a blink of an eye, and from all over the pitch. Armagh were just on-song. Even Pat Spillane was in awe. The goals towards the end flattered the scoreline but there was no doubt that Armagh were superior. Donegal's bogey run against Armagh continues for another year.

On another thread I mentioned that Kerry were over-rated by the bookies (Paddy Power), and looking at their draw with Limerick I think my opinion has been confirmed - although there is still a long way to go before anyone gets their hands on Sam. Limerick deserved to win that match really, and having come close, I do think they will not have the impetus for the replay alas. But Kerry will find it difficult against many teams, whilst they play purer football, it reminds me of minor matches rather than the current cutting edge of Ulster football, which to me will likely win Sam again this year.

I would not say that Donegal did not try but they were missing something and there was a lethargy in their play. The Donegal players never came to met the ball and often stood back waiting for something to happen, rather than making it happen. Maybe they were over confident or sometheing after the Tyrone match.I will agree that the Armagh has been the most awesome display of football that we have seen this season.

As for McDonnell he started well, but after the first ten minutes McCready started to cope better and McDonnell was not as much of an influence. This was not one of his better performances but he is an awesome player.

The Kerry Limerick game was BAD, but I do not think that Kerry will be that bad again and they should win next week and be into the quarter finals as Munster champions.

After this weekend Armagh will be favourites, but I do not know if they can reproduce that level of performance. As for Kerry I would not write them off yet, I do not think that they will play that badly or that dirty again.

I think all of the major players at the start of the championship are still in with a shout of winning sam Kerry, Armagh and even Tyrone and Galway (but only if they both improve drastically). But the dark horses may be Laois, we may not see what they are really like until the quarter finals and then we can judge whether they are real contenders or not

What a performance by Mattie Forde. That his allstar in the bag even if he doesnt get a kick against Derry.

Armagh were brilliant. Nobody will beat them if they can repeat that again. But that wont be easy. Lets not forget they were poor v Cavan. Donegal definitely played below par. McFadden (who was brilliant v Tyrone) and Sweeney (who's usually great) didnt get a kick between them. And the keeper was just useless!

Limerick's braindead freetaker (Keating) should be shot (or maybe stabbed :ninja: ). His arrogance cost them their first Munster title in over a century. Difficult to imagine Kerry not improving signifcantly with the addition of Moyniahan next week.

Dublin did alright v Longford, who faded badly after a bright first half. Sumo Sheridan is some man for one man. A great talent. Darren Magee had his best ever game at midfield for Dublin. Maybe that'll be the catalyst for his intercounty career to really kickoff.

As well as Laois, Mayo cannot be written off as dark horses for the championship. But current form would suggest an Armagh v Tyrone final again.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by cruiserweight
    Donegal - missing something and there was a lethargy in their play.
    McDonnell - not one of his better performances but he is an awesome player.
    The Kerry Limerick game was BAD
    After this weekend Armagh will be favourites
    Kerry - I would not write them off yet
    dark horses may be Laois

Yes, I agree that Donegal lacked the full spark that was needed. They indeed waited on a couple of occasions for the ball to come to them and got caught. They harried though and got the ball back on many occaions as possession changed rapidly around the middle of the park with strong and fair tackling.

McDonnell was dangerous throughout the match I thought and was a key link in the McKeever goal. McCready is a good back and it was a great contest to see. Bellew wrapped up Sweeney and McFadden was equally put under wraps by a very strong Armagh defence.

Armagh and Kerry are now joint favourites at PP at 5/2 each, Laois are still third at 13/2. Its true, you can never write off Kerry but they will have to significantly improve. Moynihan cant do it all. Laois still have to play a tough team so who can tell but I dont think they could win Sam. There is no way that Mayo will win it.

BTW, no-one is giving Fermanagh a chance against Cork. I'm not a betting person, but if I was, wouldn't that won be worth a punt? Cork are not great at all imo. Neither team have a chance of winning Sam.

I'd be wary of Cork. I've seen them twice recently v the Dubs, in the NFL and in a challenge, and they impressed me both times.

I think their performance v Kerry can be ignored. They were missing half a dozen players including Lynch their best defender and Corkery their best attacker. I would strongly fancy them against Fermanagh, though admittedly I havent seen this New Fermanagh team play yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

KErry had a bad day yesterday. I think it is a foolish man who writes any team off just because they have had one bad day. Also if Kerry had stopped being so f*cking greedy yesterday they would still have won comfortably enough. The amount of point chances that they squandered looking for goals was ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

I don’t think anyone could have foreseen that Armagh performance, those who say Donegal were poor should take note of the strong Armagh defence and excellent mid-field thanks to Loughran. A large part of Donegal's scores were from frees, I may be biased, but I saw these as very questionable frees from the referee and Donegal knew it. I was particularly impressed by Paddy Mc Keever especially the goal and his point from the sideline, he also worked allot to get the ball, and was denied a score when he was fouled in the box sometime during the first half (in my opinion a definite yellow card). Mckeever also unfortunately hit the post in the second half, but as I said he got a fantastic goal. All in all I was proud to be an Armagh supporter, as I knew the team could play this well, even though last year I feared their best days were behind them. I look forward to the advancing games and hope Armagh can maintain such a high standard, and haven’t peaked to early as some have suggested.

I always thought that Armagh had this sort of potential in them. Of course they may have a blip in some of their upcoming games, and no doubt their performances will vary, that is the nature of Gaeilc. Added to that there will be pressure on them more than ever now to win but they have the capability of winning Sam, there is no doubt about that.

And Donegal didnt perform too badly. They were guilty of trying to get a goal in the first half and were not taking their points but they also failed due to Armagh's dogged defending on the half-forward line and basically all over the pitch. Donegal had 11 wides to Armagh's 6 which shows to some extent the amount of chances that Donegal missed. I agree that the ref's decisions seemed to favour Donegal. He gave several 50-50 tackles that seemed fair as frees to Donegal and this helped Donegal's score. Donegal also missed a few easy free scoring chances. Armagh also hit the posts on several occasions.

McKeever was very impressive. He seems fitter than last year and his kicking from the wings is accurate and he got up well to support the forwards. Armagh played a lot of the game with just one up front (Clarke) and so created lots of space. Donegal on the other hand kept their three forwards quite deep until Donegal got the ball on the half-back line and then they roamed back. They need different and more varied tactics imo if they are ever to get past the likes of an Armagh team in the future.

Overall, Armagh deserved their victory and it will be difficult for Donegal to pick themselves up mentally for the next game. What chances a draw against Dublin? I dont think they will be up for that.

What chances a draw against Dublin? I dont think they will be up for that.

In contrast to that statement, I read another elsewhere from a Donegal supporter that this would be the one game they'd have no problem being up for.

Advertisement