Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laguna vs Mondeo

Options
  • 09-07-2004 11:59am
    Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting either a 2002 Modeo 1.8i Zetec or 2002 Laguna II Sport Plus 1.6. What would you choose? Both are the same price. Eur17,950.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Laguna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just on reputation for build quaility, I'd choose the Mondeo. They certainly look very solid. (very Volkswagen indeed!)

http://www.carsurvey.org/modelyear_Ford_Mondeo_2002.html

http://www.carsurvey.org/modelyear_Renault_Laguna_2002.html

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Laguna

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

any reasons why one over the other? I'm test driving both today so I'll have a better idea afterwards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Id personally choose a mondeo as i have one of the older models and its a great
    car, very reliable and very comfortable to drive..

Ive heard pros and cons to both so its up to your personal choice I believe..

The laguna is a lovely car, very stylish and nice to get the extras like keyless entry,
    electrics etc.. but with the mondeo, it depends on what model you get, Zetec has a
    nice few extras but its more expensive as its the midrange one and would be the
    one I would be going for but with the 1.8Ltr engine, it would add a nice lump onto
    my insurance...

The laguna's steering and gearbox arent supposed to be the most responsive and
    driving is supposed to be a bit on the dull side.. compared to the mondeo which
    sticks to the road like glue..

However the mondeo's value plummets so dont expect much on a trade in on your
    next car..

At this stage I think its down to personal choice..

Tox

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    with the 1.8Ltr engine, it would add a nice lump onto
    my insurance...

If I get the Laguna, insurance goes up around Eur200, with the Mondeo it's around Eur300. Of course there's the extra car tax too on a 1.8.

I still have 7 months left on my car tax on my car. Could this be factored into the trade at all? Should I ask for 3 months tax on the new car if it's untaxed or will they laugh at me? I'm not in much of a bargaining position because I'm trading old for old but I'd like to do the best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

The amount of tax left on the old car isn't a bargaining chip. You don't say how old the car is, but - no offence - if 7 months tax is a major factor in the value of the car, then it isn't going to be worth much. The garage will just dump it at an auction or stick an ad in the buy and sell.

If I was spending 17 grand at a main stealer (or even a normal garage) I'd expect it to be taxed and NCT'd (age permitting).

As ToxicPaddy said the depreciation on the Mondeo repmobile is bad. Laguna depreciation is not as bad, it has a 5 star NCAP rating, and cheaper insurance. What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Laguna 1.6 vs Mondeo 1.8 zetec

Mondeo handles better and is a more involving and enjoyable drive. Laguna has the edge on ride comfort. Laguna is probably a better and more relaxing cruiser. I have a Laguna and can drive 100+ miles non-stop no problem and step out of the car completely fresh and relaxed.

The Mondeo is more powerful and livelier but then again it's a bigger engine so it should be. I find the Laguna very economical - on a run I get 50 mpg if I keep the speed around 50-55. Mixed driving I get 44-46 mpg overall. I doubt that the Mondeo can match these figures.

The Mondeo is quite a bit bigger and more spacious than the Laguna.

I prefer the Laguna styling.

Mondeo gives you a choice of hatch or saloon, Laguna is hatch only.

As regards reliability, there have bee reports of lots of electrical problems on Lagunas. In 50k miles my car has been very reliable, the only problem has been a faulty fuel gauge (fixed under warranty) The Mondeo is probably slightly less complex with less electrical gizmos to go wrong so reliability might be a bit better.

BrianD3

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    The amount of tax left on the old car isn't a bargaining chip. You don't say how old the car is, but - no offence - if 7 months tax is a major factor in the value of the car, then it isn't going to be worth much. The garage will just dump it at an auction or stick an ad in the buy and sell.

My car's a '03 Cordoba. Just asking about the tax on the off chance. I'm getting Eur13,500 for mine against the Laguna if I go for it. I'm a bit worried about the 1.6 litre engine. A lot of people have commented on the lack of power because of the weight of the body. Is there any truth in this? Anyway, I'm off for my test drive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

get the Ford the french can't build sh*te (why build sh*te i have no idea) although the english can't build either but its probably made in Nigeria anyway.....

just pick what you like which i gather is a Laguna.

1.6 v body yea it could struggle a bit and drink the gas depends what driving your doing..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The Mondeo has to be my recommendation. It handles better, is more agile and confident on the road - the extra 200cc really makes a difference and the size of the Laguna can mean you spend more time with your foot on the floor using more fuel which will wipe out any saving in tax. The Laguna 1.6 is really gutless but has the most comfy seats of the pair. The Mondeo is better assembled and the ergonomics of the latest Mondeo are class leading - the body finish and relability are vastly improved on the previous model too.... STOP

Sorry, I had written all that thinking you were choosing new - ignore it all. Don't buy either of those cars - they are both based on platforms dating back to the early 90's and are brutal to drive - the Renault is still the worst of the two but for more reasons than I'm going to type. I have driven both extensively and have to recommend that you consider a Seat Toledo - you will get a better trade-in on the Cordoba from the dealer, you get a more modern car and will get a higher spec car for the same money.

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jensen has a point although what car you would be better off with depends a lot on what kinda roads you are driving on typically in this country

Was driving my m8's da's C5 years ago on good roads and I was unimpressed. Was driven in one on potholed 10' wide country lanes in the ars*hole of nowhere in Co. Carlow and the ride was as good as one could possibly expect

Laguna 2 would be similar enough in road behaviour and handling as the C5 (albeit without the same suspension) , both being typically French cars

If you prefer the comfortable ride and want to go from A to B in a relaxed fashion, go for the Laguna, if you are a keen driver, go for the Mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A friend of mine is a Garda and drives their squad cars 10 hours a day... I am not sure if you can call it driving though :p

He always recommends the Mondeo in favour of any similar sized car.. Looks has never actually been brought into the equation now that I think of it... Some plus points:

- Powerful engine
    - Smooth gear change
    - Excellent handling
    - Huge amount of space (he is 6'2") in front and back
    - He feels safe and confident in it when compared to similar scenarios in other cars
    - the interior is extremely durable

I personally think the Modeo is a far nicer car than the Laguna and from the various reviews, is the best of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Maybe off help:

Renault Laguna 1.8 16v Expression 5dr (They dont do a 1.6 in the UK) - 4/5

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/RoadTest_FullVerdict.asp?DL=0&RT=182217

Ford Mondeo Hatchback 1.8i 16v LX 5dr - 4/5

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/RoadTest_FullVerdict.asp?DL=0&RT=181820

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Quite a few of the Guys at work have a company Laguna 1.6...

They all say that theres no power at all.. Overtaking requires an appointment !

Very comfortable though I must admit, Air Con etc as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

Lagunas are a better finished car and much more comfortable. Nicer to travel in but if you want to know which is the lfaster car it is the Mondeo.
    Me? I would take the Laguna anyday

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

The car I drive the most is a Mondeo, and I would certainly recommend it over the Laguna II, it feels like a much more solid car, has good acceleration and handling, more room, and is reliable.
    Any (new shape) Mondeo I have been in has had aircon, whether it's an LX or Zetec.

I have limited driving experience of the Laguna II, and whilst it's very comfy, it is definitely underpowered from what I can remember.

Sorry, I had written all that thinking you were choosing new - ignore it all. Don't buy either of those cars - they are both based on platforms dating back to the early 90's and are brutal to drive - the Renault is still the worst of the two but for more reasons than I'm going to type. I have driven both extensively and have to recommend that you consider a Seat Toledo - you will get a better trade-in on the Cordoba from the dealer, you get a more modern car and will get a higher spec car for the same money.

What are you talking about? He's looking at Mondeos and Lagunas from 2002 i.e. the latest model of both cars. Neither of them are "brutal to drive" or have designs dating back to the early nineties. They are both newer and better designs than the Seat Toledo which is based on the obsolete Golf Mk IV platform.

To those saying that the 1.6 Laguna is dog slow - it's no sportscar but then neither are the 1.6 litre versions of the Passat, Primera, Avensis and Vectra. The Mondeo doesn't even offer a 1.6 option and the base model Mondeo 1.8 LX has an engine that produces the same bhp (110) as the Laguna's 1.6. The Laguna doesn't feel too sprightly to drive but the performance figures are not terrible with top speed of around 120 adn 0-60 in around 11.8 which are about the same as the Mondeo LX and not much behind the Mondeo Zetec. Perhaps the Laguna feels slower than it is due to its smoothness.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

LFCFan, why are you selling your cordoba? Are they no good? Reason for asking is cause I drive a '98 version and was thinking of upgrading to a new one.

Originally posted by Mutz
    LFCFan, why are you selling your cordoba? Are they no good? Reason for asking is cause I drive a '98 version and was thinking of upgrading to a new one.

I was recently in Florida and hired a Pontiac Grand Prix (3500cc, V6) so when I came home the Cordoba just felt too small. There is nothing wrong with the Cordoba at all. In fact, if it wasn't for my need for a bigger car I don't think I'd change it for years. I love the Cordoba. It's a lovely drive, comfortable, all electric and it looks good. I'd definitly recommend it.

I've decided to go with the Mondeo. I took both out for a test drive yesterday and I wasn't impressed with the Laguna at all. The seat was very comfortable alright but the driving position was horrible. My hand hit off the passenger seat changing gears and it's too low down. It was also very sluggish, with my 1.2 Cordoba feeling more powerful. The Mondeo on the other hand was a great drive. It's very responsive and feels very solid. It looks great, the interior is well designed and sturdy looking and overall it just felt right. Also, the Laguna only came with a 6 month waranty while the Mondeo has a 1 year warranty, 1 years AA cover and FSH from the dealer I'm buying it from. No contest!!

• Advertisement

If having a big car is a priority, then the Mondeo is the right choice as it is quite a bit longer than the Laguna and has more headroom inside.
    It was also very sluggish, with my 1.2 Cordoba feeling more powerful. The Mondeo on the other hand was a great drive. It's very responsive and feels very solid.
    Feelings can be deceptive. Here are some figures for each of the cars:

Seat Cordoba 1.2
    Power: 64 bhp
    0-60: 15.7 secs
    Max speed: 105 mph
    Power to weight: 59 bhp per tonne

Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec
    Power: 125 bhp
    0-60: 10.8 secs
    Max speed: 127 mph
    Power to weight: 91 bhp per tonne

Renault Laguna 1.6
    Power: 110 bhp
    0-60: 11.5 secs
    Top speed: 120 mph
    Power to weight: 84 bhp per tonne

As you can see, there's not an awful lot in it between the Mondeo and Laguna with the Cordoba lagging a good way behind.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Laguna is a nicer looking car but I'd say the Mondeo is better built.

Originally posted by BrianD3
    Feelings can be deceptive.

At the end of the day it's how the car feels to drive that matters. There's no point having a great car on paper when it hardly moves in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

17k is '01 1.8T - 1.9TDi passat territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

For what its worth ... a friend has a Laguna..with lots of electrical problems and is driven demented by ongoing problems with (replaced) tyre pressure sensors...my brother drives a 2002 Mondeo, ..no faults to date and a pleasure to borrow especially on a long trip.

I have driven both across Ireland and I have always found the Mondeo seating /steering adjustments etc makes it much more easier for me to be comfortable.

It has much more interior room than the Laguna. The Laguna is prettier but less pleasent to drive.

Bee

Advertisement