Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superspeed 56k modem

• 09-07-2004 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Hi
    My 56 k modem is going mad lately if i try to download something from apple . com i downloads at about 100 k a second 20mb in 5 mins pretty unreal

Check it out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I see your modem is travelling so fast it created two threads

From my other post:
    Downloading 100KB a sec on your 56kb(max) line.

Nice, dont suppose you had already downloaded the file or something equally as stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Start downloading a huge file (using the i.e download manager), when it asks you where to save it to just leave it sit there, come back after a long period and viola, it'll tell you your downloading at a couple of hundred megs a second. Internet explorer doesnt always tell the truth :)

(Get a proper download manager)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah its the buffer/cache. You (word edit) had the download acelertator on pause I bet. If you sit there and watch the whole download as it happens it'll say something like 4 kb at the end.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

This happened to me before - I was on 56k at the time, and I went online to finish a 15 meg DL as I only had half of it.

I didnt notice at first, until I saw the dl progress bar flying along - I was connect at 512k or something ridiculous like that :D

I got disconnected 5 mins later though. but I got the file ;)

And I was using Download Accelerator - but it was NOT a buffer or cache - the network connection icon in the sys-tray showed a huge connection speed - and subsequent downloads were at the higher data rate until I got cut off

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

My head is bleeding and my table isn't even dented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

that used to happen to me on dialup quite alot even if id never downloaded the file before, or paused it..

i eventually narrowed it down to be a compression thing. theres a "broadband test file" on the eircom servers that can be downloaded at broadband speeds through dialup, because it's the same pattern over and over again. the modem can compress this massively and i was getting a speed of 55KB/sec (440kbit/sec) on a 28k connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yep, that's it eggsackery.

also had it happen before.

large files with nothing in them.

once you have the files downloaded try using winzip or winrar to compress them using maximum compression, and see what ratio's you end up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

i swear i never download the file before, i was downloading darwin from devoloper.apple.com to try out a powerpc emulator for windows...cool or what its called pear pc

doing the same thing again

perhaps it due to the fact its open source based so much of the code repeats itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Originally posted by digiking
    i swear i never download the file before, i was downloading darwin from devoloper.apple.com to try out a powerpc emulator for windows...cool or what its called pear pc

perhaps it due to the fact its open source based so much of the code repeats itself

Ahm no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

darwin eh, how appropriate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

[network-electronic_engineer]

It's physically impossible to squeeze that much raw data down a 56k dial-up connection due to the frequency range (lower than human voice) at which they operate.

You are either connected through a local caching proxy server, it downloaded a large chunk in the background whilst you were choosing which folder to save it to, you don't actually know what connection you've got or a few other things.

Recognise that you're wrong and concede defeat gracefully.

[/network-electronic_engineer]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by bazH
    darwin eh, how appropriate

Pity it doesn't extend to the net :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Tazzle
    My head is bleeding and my table isn't even dented.

ROFL ... quote of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Start downloading it, and after 10 hours tell us how many mb's are left...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

nah i went and used the 2megabit connection in the office instead it took about 25 mins to complete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by SyxPak
    It's physically impossible to squeeze that much raw data down a 56k dial-up connection due to the frequency range (lower than human voice) at which they operate.

raw data yep, but modems have built-in data compression routines to make stuff go faster... more data for yer 1's and 0's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by andrew163
    raw data yep, but modems have built-in data compression routines to make stuff go faster... more data for yer 1's and 0's
    yup, a 600k walkthrough will only take a few seconds to load on gamefaqs.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

My modem downloads at 200kb/sec, I play quakeworld online at .2 ms. This is the real reason I still don't have a "good connection", honest.

I win, goodnight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

The day dial up modems will be in musems & you can get broadband on mt everest ill be happy curse dial up:mad:

Advertisement