Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to start charging over the cap from August

• 09-07-2004 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

I've heard from good authority (a mate who has a friend who works in Eircom) that they will start charging users from August 1st who go over their DSL cap limit. I don't know if there's any truth in this but thought I'd post it none the less.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It probably is true since UTV start charging this month, and UTV use radius data sent back from eircom's switches to determine the traffic used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

we were not the only one who got an call from eircom accounts, apparently they are telling businesses if you go over that you will be charged...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

what's up? not leeching enough money from people?

God they don't let us breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,977 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The real question is will they backtrack and charge users who went over the limit in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    what's up? not leeching enough money from people?

God they don't let us breath

I'm sorry, but that is a ridiculous comment.

You signed an agreement with your broadband installation. If you break that agreement you have to pay the costs as outlined in the agreement.

It's pretty simple...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    I'm sorry, but that is a ridiculous comment.

You signed an agreement with your broadband installation. If you break that agreement you have to pay the costs as outlined in the agreement.

It's pretty simple...

Think he means the cap is the problem and shouldnt be there.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by basquille
    The real question is will they backtrack and charge users who went over the limit in the last few months.
    heh, i'd personally like to see the "fite teh powah" tards that went 30+ gigs over their cap get charged.

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Think he means the cap is the problem and shouldnt be there.

kdjac

yep!

look at Sweden! 100 megs broadband with no caps costs like 20 euros a month!

I don't believe Ireland doesn't have the same capabilities as Sweden, and if they wanted to they couldn't do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The 100meg connections in sweeden do have a cap - iirc 100gig/month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Originally posted by Moriarty
    The 100meg connections in sweeden do have a cap - iirc 100gig/month.

Sure if we had that we'd only be moaning about the 100gig cap too. Irish are very good at moaning amd giving off about things, must be in our blood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by TinCool
    Sure if we had that we'd only be moaning about the 100gig cap too. Irish are very good at moaning amd giving off about things, must be in our blood.

Agreed. No matter how big the cap will be, ppl will always be whining about it, its not just an Irish thing, its human nature :D

Irish moaning?

I don't think so pal!

I mean eircom basically robs us! with their huge prices! and people are quite and pay for it! while in other countries they would complain

it's us computer/network enthusiasts that moan, but well.... we always want more and moan :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Everybody bitches about Eircom, yet nobody seems to do anything about it. Isnt Eircom the biggest ISP in Ireland who control everything? We have a government in place that never stops whining about "drink" and "smoking", I wish they would move to other issues such as Eircom controlling us Irish. Other companys are even controlled by Eircom.

For f**k sake: DO SOMETHING!!! :/

:P

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

If you sign up for Eircom & their appauling caps on their packages & you go over, you've no one to blame but yourself. Signing up is an acceptance of their terms & conditions.... least you could have done is signed up with a BB provider with a larger cap.... least you'll know for next time ;-)

can't wait till my own BB contract with Eircom is up - then it's off to better & greener pastures with UTV or ESAT.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
    then it's off to better & greener pastures with UTV

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
    then it's off to better & greener pastures with ESAT.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Originally posted by TinCool

The 100MBit connection in Sweden is capped at 300gigs, and additional 100gig lots cost 25euros.
    This is BI-DIRECTIONAL 100Mbit.

Bi-directional, uncapped, 10Mbit is 35 euros, and you don't even need a phoneline :)

Anyways, 4gigs is a stupid stupid cap, so is 8gigs.

As a side-note, uncappeed bi-directional 8Mbit in Sweden is 40euros a month, and 71% of the population can get it (its more expensive than the 10Mbit because 10MBit is fiber and only available in the bigger cities).

So, IMHO, you have all the reasons in the world to complain. In all honesty, china has cheaper broadband, and they reach a larger propotion of the population, and even there they don't have ridicilous caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    yep!

look at Sweden! 100 megs broadband with no caps costs like 20 euros a month!

I don't believe Ireland doesn't have the same capabilities as Sweden, and if they wanted to they couldn't do that

It's quite simple. Sweden has a centralised population, and people tend to live in apartment blocks. Infrastructuraly, that's a piece of piss to get net connections to. The same can't be said of the majority of Ireland. Not endorsing the crud that eircom give us, but I reckon it'll be a while before we are at where sweden are now.

A lower barrier of entry would be a start.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We do things apart from moan!
    Personally I have complained to Comreg about predatory behaviour on the part of Eircom on two occasions, and it took personal phone calls to Phil Nolan (CEO of Eircom) to have large sums of money (3 bills from 4 seperate subentities of Eircom totalling almost 1,200 Euro) returned to me.

The reason some of us are moaning- is because there is little else we can do. The Telecoms Regulator is a toothless lazy sod, more interested in maintaining the quid-pro-quo than actually looking out for the odd consumer- and when the consumer does actually manage to navigate through the structures of Comreg, they are fobbed off- normally right back to the people they are ringing to complain about in the first instance.

We put up with diabolical service here- because of a lack of people openly moaning and telling companies they are not willing to put up with being treated with open contempt.

BTW- Eircom do not even have a "Customer Complaints Department"...... speaks volumes.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

eircom really need to look at these caps particularly if they are starting to charge for every mb, the caps are tiny and could be downloaded in a 24 hour period if someone was silly enough to do so. The difference between the starter and homeplus packages are minimal yet a substantial price difference, this needs to be sorted with a much higher cap and perhaps 1mb speed for the homeplus package.

A future cap increase of 4 to 8mb may improve the situation slighly but its still rubbish, with each passing month the internet is getting more file heavy/demanding as most of the developed world are moving to 5mb+ uncapped broadband, patchs are getting ever larger and game mods, maps, patchs, updates etc, internet sites are getting much more elaborate with many flash movies having more sound and scripting than ever before, even some forums are really demanding, ive often downloaded 40mb over half an hour just by surfing a few pages, our caps are currently eating more than ever before. eircom, esat etc need to respond to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Gonzo
    the caps are tiny and could be downloaded in a 24 hour period if someone was silly enough to do so

Originally posted by Serialkiller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Originally posted by Gonzo
    eircom really need to look at these caps particularly if they are starting to charge for every mb, the caps are tiny and could be downloaded in a 24 hour period if someone was silly enough to do so. The difference between the starter and homeplus packages are minimal yet a substantial price difference, this needs to be sorted with a much higher cap and perhaps 1mb speed for the homeplus package.

A future cap increase of 4 to 8mb may improve the situation slighly but its still rubbish, with each passing month the internet is getting more file heavy/demanding as most of the developed world are moving to 5mb+ uncapped broadband, patchs are getting ever larger and game mods, maps, patchs, updates etc, internet sites are getting much more elaborate with many flash movies having more sound and scripting than ever before, even some forums are really demanding, ive often downloaded 40mb over half an hour just by surfing a few pages, our caps are currently eating more than ever before. eircom, esat etc need to respond to this.

To be REALLY honest, the only way you can feasibly go over your caps if you're NOT gaming is if you are downloading ISO's, DiVX/SVCD's or Warez - my Dad gets along quite happily with his 4GB cap even with downloading updates for all his Software & his PC...... I find I usually come close to my 8GB CAP when I'm busy downloading movies, albums, software & ISO's..... otherwise if I'm not, my 8GB even for online gaming & regular stuff seems to be ok & I take my xBox online fairly often, same with online Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament...... 8GB is a fair whack of stuff.... although what is scary is I checked my stats on €ircon's stats page & it says my estimated downlods this month based on what I've done so far (12 days in!) will be 17GB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woops... am already 6.72GB into my cap....... methinks I'll be curbing my downloads this month & sticking to just browsing for the rest of the month.... otherwise I'm buggered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well I did get my hands on Spiderman 2, Chronicles Of Riddick & Fahrenheit 911 - which @ approx. 1.6GB each will help hit that cap...... no one to blame but myself.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

BTW- Eircom do not even have a "Customer Complaints Department"...... speaks volumes.....

:confused:

eh yes they do

Advertisement