Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to increase volume on audio files?

Options
  • 09-07-2004 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few songs on my hard drive but the volume is very low (even with the speakers at full blast). Is there any programs for increasing the volume of music clips, etc?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

After a while of googling I found this:
    http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

I'd recommend to anyone.:)

/edit - Bohemian Rhapsody was about 82 dB, I converted it to 100 dB and the quality wasn't affected. Why aren't all songs the same volume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

MP3Gain is NOT what i'd recommend at all. It physically alters your songs, which is never what you want to do. Basically, it reencodes them, and as with all reencodes, you lose some quality.

My advice is to get Foobar2000 (which has a built in replaygain plugin) and then replaygain all your files. This adds a special "replaygain" tag to each MP3, so that any replaygain compatible software will be able to read the tag, and adjust the volume accordingly. The actual music is not changed at all, thus preserving all the quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    MP3Gain is NOT what i'd recommend at all. It physically alters your songs, which is never what you want to do. Basically, it reencodes them, and as with all reencodes, you lose some quality.
    There is an option to undo gain changes which puts the song back to the original dB. This can be done at any time so there is no risk involved. The quality seems normal to me, I wouldn't go over 100 dB though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What format and what player are you using?

Mike.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    There is an option to undo gain changes which puts the song back to the original dB. This can be done at any time so there is no risk involved. The quality seems normal to me, I wouldn't go over 100 dB though.
    Trust me, i've tested this. Undoing it just means it reencodes AGAIN, putting the volume back to what it was before. You will not end up with a bit-identical file as the origional.

EDIT: Replaygain is compatible with ogg, mp3, mpc and flac. Possibly others aswell (such as WMA).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Try this -

http://support.xmplay.com/Plugins_Files/Dsp/RockSteady.exe

a volume equalliser/booster. I use it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

does this have an 'auto/batch' option?

e.g. I have 20 tracks i want to stick on a CD but they have their volumes all over the place, and i have to keep changing the volume up and down depending on the track.

can I run them through the little Replaygain app and then use Nero to burn them to audio cd?

thnx.

Ah, if you're only normalising the volume to burn em on disc, you may as well just use MP3Gain, but if you are normalising them for archiving, you'd be better off using ReplayGain.

Replaygain has a batch option (at least foobar does). It reads the existing tags and calculates each tracks indivuidual gain, and then the average gain per album (at the same time). And with MP3 gain, you just load up the files, and choose your target volume, and it encodes away.

This means that if you play loads of different tracks, they will all "sound" the same volume, and if you play albums, the album tracks will still be the same volume relative to each other (if you know what i mean).

Advertisement