Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics cards

Options
  • 09-07-2004 6:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

i have a dell 8300 p4 2.4ghz geforce fx5200 gc 512mb of ram should i get a new graphics card or a gig of ram?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

new card, definitaely

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i would prefer nvidia cards i have about 200 to spend on the graphics card

your best best is an ATI 9800 pro, you should get one for 200 euro. Theyre brilliant, ive the same machine as you and put in the 9800 for the 5200. Some difference.

Its the first link you put up. Great card, itll play Doom 3 and Half life 2 on at least medium and probably higher settings, and will last you a good while.

• Advertisement

out of stock :mad: any other places i can try?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

jes-computer.de is where i got mine from, you lodge the money to their bank acc, then they post it on to you, youll have it in 3-4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Do still try and get an extra stick of 512 and boost your PC up to 1GB of ram. Having a good graphics card and all are great but more ram will improve your performance and play a lot.

so confusing i want to boost my pc up for gamecon ram or graphics card voices battling away in my head lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Go for that radeon 9800pro so many people talk about it its price/performance is great..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

radeons are crap. End of story, no more to be said on the subject.

All the machines i have used that used radeons havnt come up the scratch at all - get nvidia cards they own all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Guess the rest of the world is wrong and i guess these are imaginary fps that im seeing. If you have an opinion thats fine, if you wanna convince someone dont just make a statement like that but follow it up with proof or you just look like an eejit :p

(can i ask what radeons were being used? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by red_ice
    All the machines i have used that used radeons havnt come up the scratch at all - get nvidia cards they own all.
    were you expecting a radeon 9000 to be faster than a geforce 5600 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

sounds like an unhappy childhood

Ati cards are accepted as being better than their nvidia equivalents by most users of the two.

Probably better not to let this degenerate into an ATIvsNvidia row though, plenty of those still going already. As far as price and performance goes, you will not beat the 9800 radeon. All that comes close are other radeons.

Ahh cmon, i thought you were a little bit better informed than that.

Yet another stupid comment that isint helpfull at all, theres more than one type of ATI graphics card and also Nvidia have a few types aswell ........... might be worth taking note of that.

This is not going to turn into one of those stupid ATI v Nvidia threads, like the AMD v Intel ones that pop up now and again.

problem solved orderd a nvidia geforce fx 5700 ultra (256mb)

How much did you pay for that card ?

U know you will see no advantage of having 256mb over 128mb?

The 5900 is a better card if your a Nvidia fan, or the 9800pro which is far better........

Originally posted by Col_Loki
    How much did you pay for that card ?

U know you will see no advantage of having 256mb over 128mb?

The 5900 is a better card if your a Nvidia fan, or the 9800pro which is far better........

€200 for the card

Its a pretty decent card but what made you change from a 9800pro? Or mabye a 5900?

• Advertisement

well i have a nvidia geforce fx 5200 128mb and its **** probably equal to a 64mb card i know 256mb isnt realistic but at least the card will a good high end 128mb has to better than the one i have now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

so you come along, ask for advice, someone makes a random unproven comment about nvidia being better than ati and you buy the nvidia card regardless of the advice givin to you? enjoy your new card :D

Just incase you thought we were fooling you recomending the 9800pro heres a couple of benchmarks............. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1521&page=4

Summary......

3dmark '01 , 9800pro : 18.7k , 5700U : 15.1k
    3dmark '03 , 9800pro : 5.8k , 5700U : 3.4k

Also the 9800pro will handle AA and AF far better than the Nvidia cards tend to .
    The Extra ram just wont be of any use unless your running very very high resolution (as this is when its needed) , and if you are running at that high res your card prob wont be able to do it at a very playable level. 128mb is perfect for high res gaming, 256mb is only really usefull on 9800XT/X800/6800 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

if you wanted to buy a nvidia card for €200 you should have got a 5900xt for that money which is a much better card then the 5700ultra.

I would have went for the Radeon myself though. 9800pro (256bit) are the best mid-price card for the money at the moment in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by red_ice

I ****ing hate counterstrike players.....

RAW FACTS BUDDY

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    problem solved orderd a nvidia geforce fx 5700 ultra (256mb)

I actually slapped my forehead when I read this.. You spent 200 quid on a 5700 when you could have got a 9800 pro for an extra 10 or 20.. Ya might as well have gone to Compustore too!!! You know the 256 megs can actually perform worse that 128 megs in some games?

All messing aside, just return the card and buy a high end card. HL2 and Doom3 will not run well at all with the settings anything above low to medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I have a Geforce fx5800.
    I fully accept that the 9800 pro is better than it. And as far as i know the 5700ultra is not as good as the fx5800 normal.(and, yes, it is discontinued)

On a sidenote, anyone know how much I'd get for my 5800 secondhand? Im thinking of upgrading soon. Paid a good bit for it new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Could be a hard card to sell. The FX5800 series was considered a poor performer for a high end card when released, largely due to its 128bit memory interface and a tendency to run pretty hot if I recall rightly. You would be doing well to get anything over €100 even for an Ultra version I'd say, simply cos most people wouldn't be too keen on them. Sorry if that isn't nice to hear fluffer, I know it probably cost you a bundle when new but this really is the truth of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

red_ice, you truely are a retard.

don't bother with your "I WERK WIT COMPUTARS, I KNOE WHAT I AM TAKING ABOT!!" line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'm going to afto go for a lie down to get over the shock of the wasted 200 euros! A 9800 pro or a 5700 Ultra what a tough choice NOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!!! As you can see by the number of exclamation marks I think the choice is lacking a certain amount of though:( at least you could have gone for the 5900XT poor choice mate, poor choice.

Advertisement