Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics cards

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

radeons are crap. End of story, no more to be said on the subject.

All the machines i have used that used radeons havnt come up the scratch at all - get nvidia cards they own all.

i'm afraid i've to agree with the others, wha da hell r u think'n??

the 9800 pro's and XT's have destroyed all the recent nvidia cards in the same price range....

though in fairness in the 6800 v x800 ranges i'd be think'n nvidia is ahead.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    though in fairness in the 6800 v x800 ranges i'd be think'n nvidia is ahead.......

But half life 2 is optimised for the x800! :rolleyes:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Despite being a Nvidia 5900 user, I know well that the 9800 cards outperform the 5900 ones. Red_Ice just doesn't seem to accept reality. I just went with mine cos it overclocks extremely well (can do 500 on the core and about 480 on the ram) and for what I paid for it was good enough value and it certainly ain't a bad card.
    The new cards are gonna be interesting to see how things turn out. The PCI-X 16 thing is to my mind irrelevant really as neither will truly take advantage of its speed for ages yet, maybe even 2 generations on from now. The 6800 having the newer shader support could pull ahead if the games developers release games which utilise this ability soon enough, though it looks likely that this will not happen until such time as both the 6800 and X800 are both classed as 'last year's card' and ATI will probably have a model with shader 3.0 support also. The other thing the 6800 has going for it is SLI but few will be able to avail of this as you need a board with 2 suitable PCI-X graphics slots not to mention the cost of the 2 6800 cards themselves. So as far as I can see for the average gamer at the mo' it is really a case of flip a coin as to whether to buy Nvidia 6800 or ATI X800.

They may as well have optimised the Duke Nukem Forever for X800 as HL2 if you ask me judging by the number of delays in that game's release. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    But half life 2 is optimised for the x800! :rolleyes:

:D

well thing is hl2's requirments are dewarfed by doom3, which is optimised for the nvidia's ;)
    The 6800 having the newer shader support could pull ahead if the games developers release games which utilise this ability soon enough
    judging by some devloper forums the only major adv of ps3 over ps2 is increased proformance, and since the ati's proform better at ps2 they are close on par. Most of the other things can be done with the same or less resources via other methods so it seems(big debate on ocuk forum..)

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    well thing is hl2's requirments are dewarfed by doom3, which is optimised for the nvidia's ;)

Your point? :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

red_ice is just a forum troll (or extremely dumb...)

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Your point? :rolleyes:

Well my point is that HL2 is going to obsolete before its released at this rate imo.... BF2 and what not are all due shortly after, as it stands farcry has higher specs requirements(if i recall....) --- its going to be the biggest anti-climax of online gaming ever, sure twill be good, but nothing like as impressive as it would have been if it was released a year ago when it was due...

/me pokes serialkiller with the humour stick :rolleyes:

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

me opend a Nvidia v ATI can of worms :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

well, on the card you bought vs the card most people recommended you buy, there is one clear winner, and it's not the one you bought

seriously, don't open it and see if they will exchange - it would be worth the wait and hassle - 9800 pro would give you a perforance boost on current/soon to be released games of at least 10-15% if not more...

frame rates don't lie - its not opinion... it s just FPS...

• Advertisement
Advertisement