Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX core/mem overclocking

Options
  • 09-07-2004 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Right next step i decided to take was overclock my 9700pro. I found a proggie called ATITool which can determine your man core and memory speeds. It got my core to 382 before it got an artifact and was back at 379 before it ran 30mins without an artifact. I pulled it back another 5mhz and decided to call that it.

Doing the same with the memory now and its at 355 before it found it first artifact. This will probably end up at 352 or so before it runs 30mins without one so ill end up using it at 347 or so.

Now my query is am i gonna damage my card running it at these speeds ( 375/347 from stock of 325/310) ?

i got no extra cooling on it at all so its just default fan and stuff.

Any input would be appreciated.

(u may be wondering why id bother seeing as this at runs everything perfectly at stock speeds. Answer is im just seeing what kinda results and 2001 3dmarks i can get. Experiemtn really and will probably stick it lower again once im done).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You really could do with a nice little Artic cooler to pop on that card? Very big temp difference between it and the stock cooler.

AFAIK The GFX card overclock is pretty safe, especially if your only doing it for benchmarks and then mabye running it lower after that. Some of the other guys will clarify the safety guidelines ;)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yes I got ATITool running other night. Problem is works well on the core rubbish on the memory. I searched around to find how safe it was to run a gfx card at the max levels ATITool set. Answer is quite safe but there have been cards killed it on occasion. Benchmarking wise its safe but I still have my doubts running it full time. I would really pick up a artic cooler revision 3 for it much better that stock and possible a few heatskins. You can do great overclocks then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I was looking at the fan and the way its held on and it does look fairly tricky to get off. Dont think ill bother to upgrade the fan for the moment at least.

I got the max that ATITool got then lowered it 5mhz to be on the same side. Fairly happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

There should be two little clips holding it on, a long nosed pliers and just squeeze them a little and the fan comes off. Its very easy, ive done it on my old 9700pro!!

It leaves your card at a far better temp and will help with overclocking, just a thought..... i know your doing quite a bit as it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Yeah, the arctic is a snip to fit, and as well as giving you more of a buffer for your overclocks, it can often run quieter than stock cooler fans (at least in the case of the 9800Pro it did). Is the 9700 passively cooled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

No not passively cooled.

Okie well i may remove the standard fan at some point. First tho i wanna get this overclock stable.

Keep getting crashes and such but i think a bios fiz (when they eventually release a good one) will fix a lot of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

You might find this useful. It's a thread I stated about O/Cing the 9800Pro, but Sir_Random posted an illustrated guide to fitting the Arctic cooler :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1536940#post1536940

Advertisement