Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual SIMs

Options
  • 09-07-2004 8:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a car recently with a Nokia car kit, but I run a Siemens phone and I'm not due an upgrade for a few months (it's for the old style Nokia anyway, ain't a hell of a lot of them left). Is it possible to run with two SIMs, and if so where would I get mine copied?

adam

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

See my thread here ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Not sure how that applies?

No-one knows? :eek:

It applies because you can copy up to 12 sims onto one card ...

Thought it was kind of obvious !

And I'm looking for one SIM on two cards. I'm gonna pay €70 for the exact opposite of what I'm looking for?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Originally posted by dahamsta
    And I'm looking for one SIM on two cards. I'm gonna pay €70 for the exact opposite of what I'm looking for?

adam

It applies perfectly. With that hardware and software you can copy your sim card onto another blank sim card.

Exactly . You can have all your SIM's on one and still have the original.

Originally posted by bp_me
    It applies perfectly. With that hardware and software you can copy your sim card onto another blank sim card.
    For €70. Is that how much it costs to clone a card normally? I'm a little sceptical given that the product in question is specced for a completely different purpose. And I don't really want hardware and software, I just want a cloned SIM.

I'll try again: Can a SIM be cloned? Where can I get it done? How much will it cost? How does the switchover between SIMs work if both are running at the same time?

[EDIT: Sorry for the crankiness, I'm not trying to be a smartarse, I just think that the yoke sharkman is suggesting is totally over the top, and I'm surprised no-one seems to know whether what I want is possible.]

adam

Look , Its was only a suggestion . I have one and it works perfectly .

Ahhhh whats the bloody point .......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

For €70. Is that how much it costs to clone a card normally? I'm a little sceptical given that the product in question is specced for a completely different purpose. And I don't really want hardware and software, I just want a cloned SIM.

that would be how much it costs if you want the kit and to DIY, it will do exactly what you appear to be asking for i.e. copying two SIMs and storing them on one SIM (cloning)

haven't heard of anywhere offering the service over the counter but you might try looking for any independent phone repair shops who do other services like unlocking etc...

alternatively you can can try and find a Dual-SIM adapter / battery if available for your handset [re examples on mobilefun], so instead of cloning each SIM, you insert both into the adapter

with either method you have access to one SIM at a time, you can't be connected to the network with both simultaneously

BrianG

• Advertisement

Look lads, I'm not trying to be smart, but did anyone actually read the first post?
    Bought a car recently with a Nokia car kit, but I run a Siemens phone and I'm not due an upgrade for a few months (it's for the old style Nokia anyway, ain't a hell of a lot of them left). Is it possible to run with two SIMs, and if so where would I get mine copied?
    I have one SIM, one phone, and one car kit. The car kit isn't suitable for the phone, so what I'm asking is: If I buy another phone that'll fit the car kit, can I get the SIM card I have cloned for that phone? And is it possible to run the two at the same time, say switching between them by switching one off and the other on?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I understood you from the start, adam - I just don't have an answer for you...........:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 90s

Dude you should really read the replies that are up already your question has been answered more than once……. YES you can clone the sim and use it in another phone but you can only use one phone at a time.

I did read the replies, but we went off at a tangent with all this talk about 12-in-1's, which I don't need or want. I just want a simple copy, no hardware, no software, but by all accounts no-one seems to do it?

Thanks for confirmation on only being able to use one at a time btw, can you tell me how that works? Which phone takes precedence?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 90s

Yeah the 12 in 1 seems to be the only option could come in handy put a second number on it and make cheaper calls etc. not sure which one would take precedence prob the one that is switched on first id say........

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i know its a costly way of doing things but you could get a 2nd sim card with a new no, and divert your calls to it whilr your in the car, it cost about 10c each time its diverted. Unless you get a lot of calls in the car it shouldnt cost a lot.

I'll have a play around with my cloned SIM's tomorrow and let you know which overrides which .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

was there not a thread months ago bout dual sims, i seem to remember someone saying that one of the operators were planning something with dual sims. On the other hand i could be just mad

Originally posted by sharkman
    I'll have a play around with my cloned SIM's tomorrow and let you know which overrides which .
    Thanks sharkman.

Look lads, I'm not trying to be smart, but did anyone actually read the first post?
    yes :) but just saying 'is it possible to run with two sims' isn't very clear.. where as your follow up below is ;)
    I have one SIM, one phone, and one car kit. The car kit isn't suitable for the phone, so what I'm asking is: If I buy another phone that'll fit the car kit, can I get the SIM card I have cloned for that phone?
    the tool sharkman referenced could still provide this
    And is it possible to run the two at the same time, say switching between them by switching one off and the other on?
    if you only have one switched on then you won't be running the two at the same time

having both switched on at the same time... i'd expect the operator will be wondering what you are up to and could well disable the SIM on their system (e.g. for billing reasons)...

BrianG

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DubWireless
    yes :) but just saying 'is it possible to run with two sims' isn't very clear.. where as your follow up below is ;)
    I guess. I was trying to be as clear as possible, obviously it didn't work as well as I'd thought. :)
    the tool sharkman referenced could still provide this
    Indeed, it just seems like overkill, and of course I'd like to keep the cost down. I'll have to buy a phone too.
    having both switched on at the same time... i'd expect the operator will be wondering what you are up to and could well disable the SIM on their system (e.g. for billing reasons)...
    Hmmm. I was chatting to a guy about this and he was confident that the one the was on first will take precedence and the other one will just be ignored, but he could well have been bull****tíng. Thought there might be someone from an operator in here that'd be able to answer it authoritatively.

adam

yup - would be interested to hear what happens if a original and clone are used at the same time on our neworks...

here's a doc that google turned up that may be of interest... [pdf]

In current GSM network, it was reported that each of these cloned SIM cards can pass the network authentication successfully and can be used normally as the original legal one. The only effect to these SIM cards (cloned cards and original legal card) is that only one of them can be used at the same time. Usually it is the UE who owns the cloned or original SIM card but powers on latterly...

BrianG

I'll give Vodafone a ring tomorrow to see what they say.

While I'm here, would anyone be able to give me a pointer on what phones will fit in the car kit? I know the 6310i will fit in there, but I don't think the new shape will. It's too dark to check the model number on it now, but I can have a look tomorrow if that's any help.

adam

OK ....

It appears that the last sim registered on the system takes priority over the other , whether it is the original or the copied SIM ..

This is the case with both Voda and O2 .

Have tried switching on in various combinations and its allways the same outcome ...

So if you had your original phone in the car and the other in your pocket , leave the car , switched on second phone , It steals the line .. Once back in car , switch off .. Normal service is resumed...

That's even better than I was expecting, thanks for the research sharkman. Now all I need to do is find someone to clone me card, and buy me a phone. :)

adam

I have the software and hardware ... All you need now is the card .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

sharkman, have you tried cloning using one of the new meteor sims? I bet they won't work.

If they do though, I'll be buying a reader/writer!

Not yet . TBH I dont know anyone that uses Meteor !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

While I'm here, would anyone be able to give me a pointer on what phones will fit in the car kit? I know the 6310i will fit in there, but I don't think the new shape will. It's too dark to check the model number on it now, but I can have a look tomorrow if that's any help.

adam

Adam

Here is a full list of all phones that will work with that kit (CARK-91 is the carkit in question)

• Advertisement

Excellent, thanks wolfman!

Advertisement