Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything that be done about this???

Options
  • 09-07-2004 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Ok I honestly dont know if there is anything that can be done about this, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

In Tesco a few weeks back they had a nice new surround sound & dvd system for €100. They just had a few of them left so we bought one. Normally, I wouldnt touch one in a shop - I'd order the bloody thing from England, but for €100 it genuinely was a bargain.

We got it home and the speakers hissed to all ****. I dont know a whole lot about Pro Logic Surround, but I knew that speakers shouldnt hiss like that. The system had to go back to Tesco.

In the end, we were given our money back, but we were told this by the sales advisor.

"Oh you can buy the exact same unit from Argos for €199. "

Great. So thanks to a faulty unit, the fault of either Tescos handling capabilities or incompetance from the manufacturer, we're going to have to end up shelling out at least another €99.

Anything that can be done here?? If anything, its unfair. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

To be frank, you can't expect a DVD/Surround Sound system to be much good for only €100. Saying that it still should not have hissed the way it did.

Mabey it was just one bad one in the bunch and that you could have exchanged it for a new one. I always go with the moto that if your buying an electronic system like that one, it pays of to shell out that bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

There's not alot you can do. You bought something that was faulty and got a refund, it's unfortunate that Tesco had none left in that branch. You shoudl of asked them to check if any branches had another one left. The the price of the same item in a different shop has nothing to do with it. I't unfortunate, but to be honest I have to agree with the last post, you would of been spending more money on a more reliable brand.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

What's unfair ?

You bought the item, it didn't work, they gave you your money back. And they told you that they had none left so you couldn't get a replacement and they mentioned that when they were in stock they were 50% of the Argos price.

I don't see the ripoff here. Frankly if I decided to spend eur100 on a surround system and then discovered it was poor and got my money back I'd be happy for tesco to have let me trial the unit and prove that its better spending a few bob more and getting something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Tesco are doing a lot of specials nowadays, a la Lidl and Aldi .Some are very good value .....check them out in future.

They dont get them back when they sell out . You got your refund so thats OK

M

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Surely Tesco should be credited with their performance here. Selling something at half the price of Argos and giving you no hassle whatsoever when the item proves to be faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MF2HD

I think maybe (i hope) we're missing a major piece of the story????because nothing chris has said sounds unfair.

tesco cheaper than argos.
    product not working, returned and got money back.
    Told if you want to get another argos have them but are dearer.

how is this a ripoff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wolfe25

Can understand cris's disappointment, but it's not a rip off, just bad luck.
    Always found Tesco OK to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sounds a bit like one of those cronic moaners to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 allo1

:( Chris I would hate to be the shop assistant dealing with you I am not going to go where the other thread's have gone but most of them seem to be on the side of tesco in handling your complaint and so would I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Sounds to me as though you do not know a lot about Dolby Pro Logic. AFAIK it only gives you stereo effect [ Not surround sound ] which is different.

You probably did as a lot of people do, and wired up the speakers before fully reading the installation instructions, which is probably why you got the strange noise from your speakers. The system was probably neither set up or configured properly.

Tesco were certainly not at fault, and when you took it back and accepted a full refund. That is the end of the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Dolby Pro Logic is surround sound.
    Dolby Pro Logic is the simplest, cheapest format. It has 4 channels that are compressed into two analog channels, so you can record it on your stereo VCR and it can also broadcasted even over analog radio or cable TV. Another advantage – Dolby Pro Logic can be easily downconverted from a Dolby Digital signal.

These are 2 discrete and 2 matrixed channels:
    2 discrete, full-bandwidth channels (left front, right front),
    1 matrixed full-bandwidth center channel,
    1 matrixed, limited-width channel that goes to 2 surround speakers.

The Dolby Pro Logic encoder takes 4 channels (L, R, C, S) and creates two output channels (Lt, Rt). L goes to Lt and R goes to Rt without modifications, C, after a 3dB level reduction, gets divided equally between Lt and Rt. The bandwidth of S gets limited to 100Hz - 7 kHz range, it is encoded with a form of Dolby B noise reduction. After that it gets divided between Lt and Rt but with a +90 and -90 degree phase shifts.

During the playback, the surround is extracted by analyzing the difference between Lt and Rt.

Disadvantages are: both surround speakers produce the same sound from the same channel (mono sound) and are limited in bandwidth. Additionally, there is no discrete subwoofer channel specified in the standard, so subwoofer channel can extracted from other channels rather than specified explicitly.

Sources for Dolby Pro Logic include TV shows and movies, videotapes, other analog sources and downconverted signal from Dolby Digital (DVD for example).

The item chris bought is either faulty or just ****e.As he got a refund there is no rip off!

G

Source http://www.epinions.com/content_1190305924

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Ahhh,Errr,UMMM, Well yes.

Great explanation of what I was trying to say, but I am no techie, and did not know about that great [eopinions.com] website. Thanks for the link to that,should come in handy in future. :)

I bought an Akai DVD Home theatre system from www.qvcuk.com/
    for STG£199.00 sometime back, and notice that it switchs from Pro Logic to full surround sound if the dvd has DTS, and there is a noticeable and dramatic differance in sound effects when watching something like 'Gladiator',just brilliant. So that is really what I was trying to explain.

All the best.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

I Think iv the same 1,if its silver it culd be as i saw it in tesco as well!
    I hadnt had any problems wiith my 1 it was 179 (discount)in argos at the time i bought it,I had a previous hcs and it had to be returned bout 5 times!

Dont go near alba!

Advertisement