Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10% Off any ipod

• 09-07-2004 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Recieved from bank of ireland today in the post with the credit card bill.

www.apple.com/ie/mc

You can get 10% off any ipod except the mini.

There still out of my price league........... :-(

**edit** link works now **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

quoth the server, 404

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

10% off an ipod isn't a bargain, it's still a rip off. If you're thinking of buying an ipod, just go for the iRiver IHP-140. Much better and much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

you obviously have never used an ipod then. get the student discount..you wont be disappointed with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

How much with student discount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by cormie
    10% off an ipod isn't a bargain, it's still a rip off. If you're thinking of buying an ipod, just go for the iRiver IHP-140. Much better and much cheaper.

Jesus christ - do you people earn commission?!? EVERY thread about the ipod - there you are. Maybe, just maybe, people don't want an iRiver, hm? Perhaps that's why Apple have this incredible slice of the digital music market? Why do people buy BMW's when Lada's are available? Status. Maybe that's what the ipod has in terms of digital music - status, and a good reputation.

What does iriver have? Obscurity outside of everywhere but a net cafe.

• Advertisement

i cant remember...think its 40euro off on the 15gb. plus you also get free engravings this month.check the apple website Student Discount and if youre not yet convinced then go to ipodlounge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

List prices are;

€350 - 15gb
    €450 - 20gb
    €550 - 40gb

So it's 10% off the above prices. The 20gb or 40gb are the best value imo. As the 15gb doesnt come with the dock or remote :)

I'm simply letting people know there are better deals on better things. And BMW to Lada is not the same as Ipod to iRiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

Ipicked up an ipod in ebay...new for 235 yoyo including delivery and insurance from a power seller on ebay from the US, i could have gotten em cheaper but i outbid myself by 10 dollars. Either way it a good price, love my ipod

advise to anyone doin the same:
    Make sure the seller rating is huge! Check sellers ratings with other users/their comments
    By the way i had to wait 2.5months before i got it, but i got it and it was brand spanking new.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

By the way, i got it 6 months ago and it is a 15gb 3rd(new) gen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The markup on ipods here is mental, I got mine in the US a few months back for about $250 (15gig 3g), with free carry case thing thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

I got my 40 gig for E410 in the us with a free engraving and its bangin:p

I was waiting for the 3rd gen to come in to the apple store and i kept ringing week after week and still nothing so i looked elsewhere..typtech warehouse, and got my 30gig for 639euro.they overcharged by 40 euro and i had to point it out that apple sell them for 599 so i got my 40 back but still paid a **** load for it. i was well happy though with it. in fact i was so happy that apple put so much time and effort into everything down to the packaging that i bought an ibook a few months later. apple are on their way up

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by NoelRock
    Jesus christ - do you people earn commission?!? EVERY thread about the ipod - there you are. Maybe, just maybe, people don't want an iRiver, hm? Perhaps that's why Apple have this incredible slice of the digital music market? Why do people buy BMW's when Lada's are available? Status. Maybe that's what the ipod has in terms of digital music - status, and a good reputation.

What does iriver have? Obscurity outside of everywhere but a net cafe.

What does iRiver have?

- 18 hour battery life, (ipod 7 - 9 hours)
    - Battery will last for 3000 recharges, ipod just 300
    - Radio
    - LCD Remote Control
    - Optical and digital line out.
    - Optical and digital line in.
    - Built-in dictaphone
    - Recording to MP3 or WAV from dictaphone or line in's.
    - Significantly cheaper then the iPod.

The new iRiver H3xx series players also have:
    - Full colour screen
    - USB On-The-Go capability (this means you can attach digital cameras to it and transfer your pictures to it and view them on the colour screen).

The only place where the iPod arguably beats the iRiver is on looks. The iRiver is no Lada, it is more like comparing a BMW (iRiver) to a Merc (iPod).

The only reason Apple has such a large share of the market, is because it has a massive marketing machine, many people don't even know that there is a better alternative. That is why people keep mentioning the iRiver, because news travels about it by word of mouth, not in ads. cormie probably heard about it from someone else and now he is passing on the favour to others.

Think of it this way, if you where going to buy a car in the morning and you where telling a friend who knows a lot about cars that you where going to buy car A and he told you that car A is good, but that car B is even better, wouldn't you be happy to receive such advise?
    Maybe that's what the ipod has in terms of digital music - status, and a good reputation

Actually the iPod has a bad reputation:

1) Battery typically fails after just 18 months, it costs $99 to get it replaced.
    2) Recent problems with loose headphone connectors.
    3) Body is easily scratched.

BTW I wish I got a commission for every iRiver a person bought on my advice, I've already convinced at least a dozen people to buy one, all of whom are very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kiss103

I can also vouch for the I-River, i was in the states last year and checked out several in Best Buy , The I-river , gives incredible sound is much more compatable with different formats and for me the biggest plus also had a radio , cause listening to your own music all the time isn't everything and it's nice to listen to George Hook on the way home !!!, if the ipod had a radio maybe i'd change my mind.

its optional, meaning more cha ching for something that comes built in with the iriver. And is cheaper overall.

Why did this turn into an I-River love fest?

You'd think though they could come up with a more original name. Rather than ust putting an "i" before it :rolleyes:

iRiver were around way before iPod was. I'm not going to insult you over that as you probably didn't know. I really couldn't be bothered with petty remarks either. I'm just letting people know of a better product for a better price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

It's aaaaaall about the scroll-wheel gentlemen.:cool:

Originally posted by cormie
    iRiver were around way before iPod was. I'm not going to insult you over that as you probably didn't know.

Insult away
    iRiver was established in 2000 by Reigncom Ltd to become a force in the digital entertainment industry

While i cant find a relese date for the iPod :rolleyes: The iMac made it debut in 1998, When the whole "i" thing started

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    It's aaaaaall about the scroll-wheel gentlemen.:cool:

Having tried both, the iRiver thumbstick works just as well.

I really dont care what it's called and who started with I or what not. I just know the iRiver is better and that's all I am trying to inform others.

Advertisement