Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Computers...you'd think it'd be simple!

Options
  • 10-07-2004 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi there,

Having a bit of trouble setting up a LAN netowrk of 2 PCs:

1's a Dell P3 866Mhz, 320 RAM, WinME
    The other's a Toshiba P1 200Mhz MMX, 48 RAM, Win98

They both have the exact same network cards (bought the other day) installed without a problem and have the correct cable going across (crossover cable I think it's called). The issue is that although they'll recognise that each other are there (the diff PCs come up as diff icons in Network Neighbourhood), they won't talk to each other (Can't access/see each other). I tried to ping each other using their respective IPs (found using ipconfig) with no success. They can ping themselves no probs which I think shows the cards are working! The lights on the back of the cards work & flash the odd time but are constantly on. Here's the wierd part:

I tried to play Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun with them & they see each other's names (individual/multiplayer names); the faster one (Dell) can send messages to the Toshiba and the Toshiba receives them ok. When the Tosh tries to send one back, the Dell never gets it. If I create a game with the Dell, it shows up on the Toshiba, but when the Toshiba tries to join, nothing happens. When the Toshiba Hosts a game, it disappears off the list of players on the Dell & won't come up as a game, unlike when the Dell does the same! I'm ssoooooooooooooooo confused!!! :(
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: What's going on & can someone please help! It's been wrecking my head for days now! Even tried different OSs & other games & still doesn't work!

Thanks for any help in advance!

JP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Well, part of your problem is your OSes - 98 and ME are both crap for networking, but I realise that there's nothing you can do about that, not quickly anyway.

Did you set the IP addresses yourself, or were they set automatically? Post the ipconfig info from both boxes, and we may be able to see the problem.

Forget about anything your seeing in your gaming application - if you can't ping, you're not connected. If we can get your basic IP config'ed, the applications should be easy enough to sort out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

like tomk said -check you ip addresses are in the same range(eg 192.168.1.XXX)
    also , workgroup names and make sure both have filesharing on(don't put them on internet/braodband with network shares on win9X/me).

get another crossover cable and try it to be sure

get a laptop and try it networked with the PC's one at a time, might define one computer as the problem

antivirus up to date on both PC's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

same tips as the lads but maybe also check windows' networking components are installed properly and it may be no harm to remove and reinstall them. TCP/IP, Microsoft Networking and your adapter must be installed and working for them to talk. Check you're both on the same subnet too (ipconfig) and as was said before, check the network cable is working by swapping with another crossover cable. The lights on the cards may still come on even if there's a problem with the cable.

98/me can be a bit fiddley to network but it should work fine once setup properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 the muffin man

Tried 3 different crossover cables; here's the ipconfig report:

Dell:
    IP 169.254.124.3
    Subnet 255.255.0.0

Toshiba:
    IP 169.254.8.157
    Subnet 255.255.0.0

Unfortunately I haven't got a laptop to check them with, a least i can't get near one for another week or so if the problem's not solved by then then I'll definetly check with it. Cheers for the feedback folks!

JP

The Dell's was set automatically. Just tried setting the 2nd to 169.254.124.4

Isn't working still. Subnets are the same as each other as above.

JP

PS. Here's some more info some others asked me for which might help:

The PCs are connected by Crossover cable. I've tried 3 cables and the result's the same. No switch or router, just straight one to one. Not using DHCP (whatever that is).

The IPs are now:
    Dell: 169.254.124.3
    Tosh: 169.254.124.4

Firewall's off whenever I try to ping or do any communication between them so I don't think it's that. I've even tried using different PCI slots & reinstalling the hardware drivers, protocols etc each time but nothing changes.

At the moment, the Dell can 'see' itself & the Toshiba, can access itself but can't access the Toshiba. The Toshiba can't see anything in Network Neighbourhood. Both PCs have the same Protocols etc installed & are set up in the same way (aside from IP address - see above).

I'm using the correct ping command

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Try the following settings, and it should work:

PC1:
    IP: 192.168.0.1
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

PC2:
    IP: 192.168.0.2
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

@ Stephen: Just did, doesn't work. Something strange though, I accidentally set them both to 192.168.0.2 & the WinME (Dell) said that there was a "conflict for IP address 192.168.0.2 with hardware address 00:50:22:E3:93:99" if that helps. I then set them to what you have, still no change.

JP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That conflict is normal when you have two machines with the same IP address.

The settings I gave you SHOULD work, but who knows with the flaky **** that passes for TCP/IP in Win98/ME.

When you set one machine to 192.168.0.1 and the other to .2, can you get them to ping each other?

Pinging now, doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

just in case...

if you have a firewall in place on either machine,
    you have to set permissions to allow communication.

dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

ditto what david just said...

and be careful cos some anti-virus programs (PC-cillin) for example have built-in firewalls which must be switched off completely first.

Does AVG Free edition have a built-in firewall? I can't find anything about one in it..? Oh, & the only firewall I have is allowing the ping command so I'm guessing it's ok. Even so, I've tried it without the firewall, the whole lot! Still mothing!:dunno:

JP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Originally posted by Stephen
    That conflict is normal when you have two machines with the same IP address.

Also means they can see each other.
    Sounds like a reinstall of the networking components is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

Jesus not winME! I have used it ones years ago, it was just disasterous. I would consider installing another OS on the winME machine and get rid of winME.

Besides it seemed hard enough to get the network connection working properly on windows 98. Every time after changing any network settings i had to restart, but thats off topic here i think.

Anyway, i can't remember but if u can put in a Default Gateway, type it in like this:

machine 1:
    IP: 192.168.0.1
    sub net mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.2

machine 2:
    IP: 192.168.0.2
    sub net mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

On my networks i never use the "automatic" ip addressing function, because if u type it in urself at least later u'll know exactly what ip's to look for when u go file sharing, pingin or whatever.
    Otherwise i don't really know what else the problem could be, but as i can remember sometimes there is strange things going on with the network connections on win98.
    Yet i like win98 :D

By the way, is it Win 98 second edition ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

If any of what they said doesn't work I would remove TCP/IP and reinstall it. Or remove the network cards and reinstall them again just incase something went wrong.

Thanks for the help folks! Sorry for the delay, just back from 5 weeks away. Got it sorted by reinstalling ME! Cheers for all the help!

JP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

two pcs u think it would be easy is the perfect name for the thread
    i read the FAQ and the powerpoint walkthough in it but still have major problems
    and i would appreciate a bit of help
    firstly have two pcs both running xp pro
    one is sp1 and the other just xp
    have a dlink ethernet switch and two cat 5e cables running from the pc s to the switch both the lights are on in the ports on the pcs network cards and seem to pulse or flash fairly regularly , when i go to view computers on the workgroup they both see each other on the mshome workgroup , what does this mean as i do not seem to be able to transfer anything between them file wise , also when i run the home networking wizard on the xp sp1 pc it just runs and runs and runs and never stops , i updated the sharing and security settings to allow the root drives to shared on the network was this foolish or is this theright thing
    in the faq it says to force ur pc to use an ip address or set it to use an ip address how do i do this and then give them the same subnet mask
    do you use ipconfig to this and if so how .........
    i would really appreciate this as i have been at this for ages thinking windows would do everything for me and i would just have to plug in and go
    am i way of base or am i anywhere near any help much appreciated
    or if some one could point me to a really easy step by step guide on the net and i have not managed to find one yet even with google and the sites listed in the sticky .......................................

vasch_ro wrote:
    two pcs u think it would be easy is the perfect name for the thread
    i read the FAQ and the powerpoint walkthough in it but still have major problems
    and i would appreciate a bit of help
    firstly have two pcs both running xp pro
    one is sp1 and the other just xp
    have a dlink ethernet switch and two cat 5e cables running from the pc s to the switch both the lights are on in the ports on the pcs network cards and seem to pulse or flash fairly regularly , when i go to view computers on the workgroup they both see each other on the mshome workgroup , what does this mean as i do not seem to be able to transfer anything between them file wise , also when i run the home networking wizard on the xp sp1 pc it just runs and runs and runs and never stops , i updated the sharing and security settings to allow the root drives to shared on the network was this foolish or is this theright thing
    in the faq it says to force ur pc to use an ip address or set it to use an ip address how do i do this and then give them the same subnet mask
    do you use ipconfig to this and if so how .........
    i would really appreciate this as i have been at this for ages thinking windows would do everything for me and i would just have to plug in and go
    am i way of base or am i anywhere near any help much appreciated
    or if some one could point me to a really easy step by step guide on the net and i have not managed to find one yet even with google and the sites listed in the sticky .......................................
    Hi There,

Ok Lets see.. Both XP Machines.

I know you might have some of this done already but do it anyways. Right Click My Computer and go to properties. (Or system in control panel) and click 'Computer Name' tab. Click the 'Change' button. Make sure the box is set to Workgroup and enter MSHOME as the workgroup.

Now do the same for the other computer.

Ok for the ip addresses:
    Go into control panel. If it doesn't have the classic look make it, cause that xp sh!t is craap. You can do this by selecting 'Switch To Classic View' (Top Left of box)
    Double Click 'Network Connections'. There should be 'Local Area Connection' or something similer in Lan/High Speed Internet. Right Click on The Local Area Connection and select Properties. Double Click 'Internet Protocal (TCP/IP)'. Click 'Use the following IP address'. Enter the IP Address as: 192.168.168.2 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 (This just means the computer will just search 0-255 as you specified with the 0 at the end.)

Click Ok And Apply blah blah.

Do what i just said there too for the second PC, ONLY THIS TIME set the IP address to 192.168.168.3

Seeing that you are just having two computers on the network, i would say it is safe enough to share the root of your hard drive.
    Goto my computer and right click on the drive you want to share and click properties. Click the 'Sharing' tab and tick the box that says 'Share this folder on the network' beside it and enter the share name if you want.
    Do this for the other PC also. (Please note if you are using NTFS filesystem, XP will block access to Documents and settings folder profiles unless you are logged in or if permissions are set.)

Restart Both PCs, and well Everything should be working well.

If you couldn't do file sharing thats because you having it installed. If this is the case, right click on the local connection again and properties. Click Install button which is in the default general tab. Select Service and ok, and you should see File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. You might need your windows xp cd here too.

Tell me how you get on :)

thanks i will give it a go
    was just going to add a bit more and say that i can play doom 3 on this 2 pc lan
    but i will do what u advisde thanks again

Yeah well networks are strange, i would still do what i suggested there, Windows likes that setup better

• Advertisement

okay firstly your dead right about classic view way better
    when i go into netwrok connections
    i get a two headings on pc 1 thats xp sp1 and under the second heading netwok bridge there is a heading local area connection
    when i click on properties for this i get two headings
    general and authentication
    and then it says connect using nvidia nforce mcp networking controller
    and under this configure
    if i hit configure and then the tab advanced it gives a network address of 192.168.0.1 is this the one i have to change i do not see tcp or ip address listed

however if i do the same on pc 2 just plain xp no sp it says connect using admtek an983 10 slash 100 mbps adapter. if i hit configure and the advanced tabs i do net get a listing for network address just vlan id again nothing about tcp ip address
    i am way of base again
    checked the names and workgroup and they are okay

Hmm you definetely need TCP/IP, i think your actually in some virtual bride thing there.
    In network connections do you see a heading called 'LAN or High-Speed Internet'

ur right its network bridge and under that heading
    i see local area heading
    thats all i see on pc 2
    and pc 1 sp1 under network connections i see
    two headings dial up and network bridge ..........

Try removing the bridge, right click on it and there should be some bridge option to remove or something, then that connection should go back to normal under Lan/High Speed

firstly let me say thanks very much for your help web monkey
    i would have been at a loss if it was not for you
    sometimes i think people who help out us less informed joes on boards do not get recognition or thanks enough .............

any way made good progress the 2 pcs can see each other in the mshome worgroup i think the only thing now stopping me is xp will not let access the other pc as i do not have authoriisation even though i am the admin
    on the both pcs i suspect will have to post query in the windows thread

thanks agaiin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

go into the user profile on each pc
    [control panel, then user accounts]
    SET a password on the account.
    then use the pass to access the pc.

i'm sure there is a better way around this,
    but i found this works.

Advertisement