Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a car from Japan myself

Options
  • 10-07-2004 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has done this and what to expect and what government revenue charges apply.

I am interested in a 2003 2 litre Accord Euro-R.

Carriage is about $800 from Japan.

According to VRT site, VRT would be 30% of the open book value for that year of the car. Does anyone have access to an open book?

Someone told me me it would be 21% VAT on the cost of the vehicle.

Someone else told me it would also be an 8% levy import tax, on vehicles coming from non-EU countries.

If so, a car which is 12.5k cost + 800 carriage ends up being about 26k here. I.e. our government add more than 100% of the actual cost of the car in charges.

Cheers, James.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Your only other option is to move to Japan and keep the car for 9 months and then no tax applies:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

The VRT office place will give you a quote of how much it will be, haven't a clue about the rest but would be interested to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

Ask one of the dealers to get u one. They know how to deal with the vrt muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by JB123
    Ask one of the dealers to get u one. They know how to deal with the vrt muppets.

and then they'll add several thousand onto the price for doing so....

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Have a look atJapnuts They give a breakdown of costs .I know there are a lot of them but i think they are all accurate.The taxes are a complete ripoff

• Advertisement
Advertisement